Cadeson Royal Custom Phosphor Bronze Snare - Insights?

jmato

Reaction score
I have my eye on this drum. 5.5x14”. It is hammered with die cast hoops, tube lugs, and Cadeson brand wires.

I could not find much about this snare. I am interested in trying a bronze snare without breaking the bank, and this price seems right in the low $300s. It appears to be in good shape.

Any recommendations, thoughts or warnings?

Thank you in advance.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The big plus of bronze snare drums to me are the nice overtones; these are probably reduced by both the hammering and the die-cast hoops (see the recent thread on die-cast hoops on snares). This is why I went for a smooth bronze shell with triple-flanged hoops recently (thinking I can always add some muffling if it is too lively in some contexts).

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have my eye on this drum. 5.5x14”. It is hammered with die cast hoops, tube lugs, and Cadeson brand wires.

I could not find much about this snare. I am interested in trying a bronze snare without breaking the bank, and this price seems right in the low $300s. It appears to be in good shape.

Thank you in advance.
Post some pic when you get it ples.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I can't speak to their bronze offerings because my Royal Custom snare (and drumset) are maple - but I can tell you this, if it's Cadeson, it's going to be a quality drum.

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta

Thank you in advance.
I have one 6.5 deep. Its a trophy snare for me. Mine is not hammered.

They manufacture their own die cast hoops. Everything is manufactured in house except the heads.

The only thing I did was to take some lithium grease and an extra long threaded rod... Using an electric drill and a drum rod-head size bit attachment... I slowly ran the the greased rod in and out of each lug socket several times to quickly break in the threads. The threads when new were a bit snug. Other than that, its been a pride and joy drum for me.

Mine has a regular snare throw off with an adjustable snare tension on the other side. It may vary. Cadeson brand snare wires are nicely and well made. They aim to produce classic quality construction. The lug thread tightness was the only thing I was not used to.

jmato

Reaction score
Thanks Gene.

I just switched heads on the snare (coated Ambassador) and noticed the lugs were tight. Think I need to ad the lithium grease also.

Mine is also 6.5 The seller mis-measured, but I prefer the deeper snare so it's a happy accident for me.

I played it first time in rehearsal with the stock Cadeson head, just to give it a test run, and man it sounds good! A great, cutting POP but with warmth! And very sensitive too. The overtones are minimal and sound good in the mix. What a great sound, and sufficiently different from my steel snares to definitely stay in the rotation.

Here are some additional photos with the head off, in case anyone wants to see inside or check out the bearing edge.

cadeson 1.jpg
cadeson 2.jpg