Cajon kits

6topher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Everytime I see a drummer in a duo or trio in a menu venue playing a cajon to approximate a drum set I just think 'you poor bastard'

Unless you're an accomplished latin percussionist, just don't. Its awful. Literally awful. It's like seeing a dog wearing a sweater. When it's hot out.

Put together a suitcase kit & play dynamically. Bring an 18 bass, small hats, a crash ride & a snare.

Should I tell you how I feel about rods?

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tend to agree...but I say bring bigger (15,16,17") thin hats instead of small hats. They're actually less intrusive due to their lower pitch. In my opinion.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I literally just a cajon kit on YouTube with cajon toms. If you’re gonna put that much effort into using cajon toms or a cajon with mini toms a snare and a million cymbals bring a full drum set. This cajon kit is crap.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
"It's like seeing a dog wearing a sweater. When it's hot out"

LOL... you just won the internet for the day!!!

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't go here often because I know many guys who truly love to play a Mater Box so I will stop myself at, "I don't care for them". In truth, my opnion would make 6topher's original post blush. I mean I REALLY don't like them.... as in none.

It's is a real instrument (I suppose) but it is NOT a replacement for a drum set. Play a conga or a djembe, but a wooden box?

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They have a place, but often I wonder if the person playing is actually adding value to the music. It's like watching a solo singer/guitarist playing to a drum machine loop. Pretty sure it would have been better with just the guitar.

Obligatory:

Stickclick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of the cajon. But I played cajon and tambourine in a country band and the gig went ok. Sounded better than when I brought the ekit.

dharma bum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not a fan of a cajon in place of a kit.

But in COVID ... I have done this a couple times now for gigs where the bar said "no drumset and no dancing" because of health dept. restrictions but the singer and guitar player asked me to play with a cajon and shaker. It worked pretty well. I played the last half of each set, to get variety in the feel. I looked around and could see that people responded to the rhythm more when the cajon was playing. If it makes sense, it was harder to not dance with the cajon.

Dude, it's a gig! (I will now place the cajon of shame on my shoulders)

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I walked into a restaurant a few weeks ago and a duo was playing . I couldn’t see them while I was ordering. They sounded really good . And the drums sounded good .
I stepped over to have a look and lo and behold a Cajon . I will no longer put them down .....

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the cajon although I've heard some very talented people make them sound good. When I find myself in those kind of keep-it-down/be-seen-but-not-heard/wallpaper/corner crammed gigs, I usually opt for a shallow kick (Pearl Rhythm Traveler 8x20) supporting a tom (timbale in my case) and ride cymbal plus hi-hat and snare. It gives me everything I want to have or need in a compact/non-threatening package. I've tried a lot of versions of this kind of kit over the years (Purecussion RIMS kit, Remo Legero, Traps, Taye Go Kit) and from my personal experience, Pearl's is the most practical.

There's a Brazilian woman, Cris Ribeiro) who uses Pearl's most recent - and minimal - version called the Compact Traveler, and she's got a lot of videos showing her playing it in different situations. Obviously, it's not the greatest sound in the world, but it's a fully functional compact kit that I think fits its niche nicely. Here are some live videos her playing it on various gigs:

Chick Webb and Han Bennink would probably dig it:

Chick001.jpg

HanBennik.jpg

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the cajon although I've heard some very talented people make them sound good. When I find myself in those kind of keep-it-down/be-seen-but-not-heard/wallpaper/corner crammed gigs, I usually opt for a shallow kick (Pearl Rhythm Traveler 8x20) supporting a tom (timbale in my case) and ride cymbal plus hi-hat and snare. It gives me everything I want to have or need in a compact/non-threatening package. I've tried a lot of versions of this kind of kit over the years (Purecussion RIMS kit, Remo Legero, Traps, Taye Go Kit) and from my personal experience, Pearl's is the most practical.

There's a Brazilian woman, Cris Ribeiro) who uses Pearl's most recent - and minimal - version called the Compact Traveler, and she's got a lot of videos showing her playing it in different situations. Obviously, it's not the greatest sound in the world, but it's a fully functional compact kit that I think fits its niche nicely. Here are some live videos her playing it on various gigs:

View attachment 500492

View attachment 500493
Reminds me of my Purecussion kit. I need to look into whatever that snare is.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 500492

View attachment 500493
I've seen here before, her metric modulation version of "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" is really mind bending... I give her high marks.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, before you send me your hate mail... I am blaming this on Pat A Flafla! It was his pic earlier that inspired me to take it to it's logical conclusion. And again, no offense intended to those who enjoy playing a wooden box, just the wooden box it's self! :laughing6:

image001.jpg