Calling all Premier guys

espotj

Reaction score
Hello All and Happy New Year to everyone,
To all you guys who are heavy into Premier, could you relay some info to me? The other day I picked up a set of what the owner thought was 70's drums. It's a black covered, 22x16 with 1" rings, 16x15 1/4 with rings, 13x11 3/4 no rings and 12x11 with no rings. I actually measured the shell depth by removing just one head so I may be a little off. The interiors are painted flat black and they have rectangular backer plates as opposed to washers under the nuts. Judging by the grain of the wood I think the interior ply might be mahogany. My search of badges all showed the badge but no dates along with it. Also, the tom mount seems to be a replacement as can be seen by the

indentation on the bass covering. Any info would be much appreciated.
13.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
4.jpg

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
These guys can tell you everything.

Also if you need spare parts (as you have some none original parts there) this shop is gold.

Last edited:

flurbs

Reaction score
That's quite a curiosity - shellwise, it's a Royale Advanced Power Kit - the rering config you've mentioned is the Royale shell which was then used on the first APK's in the mid-80's. However the badge you've shown is the next generation badge with the italic font from the late 80's, and any kits I've seen with those badges have had the hi-ten lugs and no rerings, so I'm guessing there was a crossover period with the new badges using up the old shells? The bass drum mount and tom holder is non-Premier aftermarket.

Anyway it's a deeply unfashionable kit which you can have a lot of fun with. The shells are very light and the edges aren't amazing, but they deliver the low-tuned double-ply batter late-80's rock punch REALLY well. (They don't do much else really well, sadly.) If they still have the Premier DS heads on them, that's a winning combination!

espotj

Reaction score
That's quite a curiosity - shellwise, it's a Royale Advanced Power Kit - the rering config you've mentioned is the Royale shell which was then used on the first APK's in the mid-80's. However the badge you've shown is the next generation badge with the italic font from the late 80's, and any kits I've seen with those badges have had the hi-ten lugs and no rerings, so I'm guessing there was a crossover period with the new badges using up the old shells? The bass drum mount and tom holder is non-Premier aftermarket.

Anyway it's a deeply unfashionable kit which you can have a lot of fun with. The shells are very light and the edges aren't amazing, but they deliver the low-tuned double-ply batter late-80's rock punch REALLY well. (They don't do much else really well, sadly.) If they still have the Premier DS heads on them, that's a winning combination!
Thanks flurbs!

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a Premier expert by any stretch, but I think the giveaway that it's not a 70s kit is a 16x22 bass drum and power tom sizes. I picked up a 70s Premier Resonator kit over the summer and all the drums are standard sizes.

flurbs

Reaction score
What would be comparable modern heads to the original Premier DS heads?
In spec, the Aquarian Performance 2 are the closest but they're a tubbier sound - the Premiers just did a fat wet 'splat' and nothing else.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
that Badge the tilt and red in Premier- is 1st seen in the 1990 catalog; but that series isn't in there;

Premier med-level series were and weren't consolidated very well.
that lug at various times was used for series names ...Olympic, Crown, Club, APK, Soundwave, Royale.

everythingbut whatatotal marketing kluster
http://drumarchive.com/Premier/

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score