Calling all Slingerland experts

dalec

Reaction score
Hi,

I just came across some Slingerland drums. One was a 1940s 14x7" Super Gene Krupa Radio King snare with 16 Beavertail lugs (model #155) in WMP which is legit for sure. The other is a 24x14" Bass Drum with the streamlined lugs. Could anyone tell me if this drum is legit ? I wondered about the dampener which I couldn't find in my Slingerland book and also about the shell construction with the reinforcing plates. I can tell for sure that this is a 3-ply shell which seems very well made. There are no extra holes and the Sonor bass drum legs and brackets have been installed afterwards. It looks like there were no hardware mounted apart from the lugs and the dampener. The drum has calf skins mounted and is 8-9 mm oversized so that a standard Remo head won't fit.
I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Lars

vintagemore2000

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hi,

I just came across some Slingerland drums. One was a 1940s 14x7" Super Gene Krupa Radio King snare with 16 Beavertail lugs (model #155) in WMP which is legit for sure. The other is a 24x14" Bass Drum with the streamlined lugs. Could anyone tell me if this drum is legit ? I wondered about the dampener which I couldn't find in my Slingerland book and also about the shell construction with the reinforcing plates. I can tell for sure that this is a 3-ply shell which seems very well made. There are no extra holes and the Sonor bass drum legs and brackets have been installed afterwards. It looks like there were no hardware mounted apart from the lugs and the dampener. The drum has calf skins mounted and is 8-9 mm oversized so that a standard Remo head won't fit.
I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Lars
Lars, this is 100% Slingerland Radio King Bass drum. she looks to be a beauty go get it!The muffler system is the Ray McKinley muffler. :icon_smile:

vintagemore2000

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks! I love this forum!
Your welcome, It is a great forum, agreed! also the bracing inside the shell was originally made that way to house the lights that where originally inside the bass drum to keep the calf heads tensioned during performing.here is a pic of a leedy bass drum I have that has lights inside it.

ReGaL Music

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks! I love this forum!
Your welcome, It is a great forum, agreed! also the bracing inside the shell was originally made that way to house the lights that where originally inside the bass drum to keep the calf heads tensioned during performing.here is a pic of a leedy bass drum I have that has lights inside it.
I had no idea that's what the lights inside old bass drums were for...
could you explain in it more detail? I assume it has something to do with the heat that came off the bulbs? Thanks

Latest posts