Calories burned while drumming?

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been using myfitnesspal.com for a few months as a food and exercise log. (as "gregpstone") I've only been recording my bike riding under exercise so far, but this morning I searched for "playing drums" and it was in the database. Now I've always thought that the calories they show for exercise seem a little high. For instance I rode my bike 24 miles Friday and it said I had burned over 2000 calories.

Anyway they show 10 calories per minute burned while drumming. Does anyone have reason to think this is or is not accurate? If it is a little high I don't feel too bad about it since I'm not counting setup and breakdown which seems more strenuous.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
edit - I do realize that different styles would result in different calories burned, but as my band is outlaw country / rock I think I'm squarely in the mainstream of energetic drumming.

real edit - goofed that, thought I was editing the previous post.

SamS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It really depends on the type of drumming you do. I think they used the calculations from the tests done on Clem Burke. If you've ever seen him play he is quite energetic. Fast music, slamming drums. That number would not apply to anything other than hard hitting rock or funk. If you're doing a mix of rock and mellower stuff you could easily divide that number in half.

Answered before seeing your second post.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with Sam that it would have to depend on the degree of drumming. I think that it's got to be a good aerobic workout as well as calorie-burning activity for some drummers just because of the constant motion. That being said, I've seen plenty of obese drummers out there.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks, I googled and found the Clem Burke study showing 10 calories per minute. I'm going to use 300 calories per hour and put it in the database as "moderate rock drumming".

noahJT 2.0

Reaction score
I think 10 a minute seems a bit high as well for average drum playing. 300 per hour seems like a safe, reasonable estimate to me.

S

skinsman

I remember reading a lot of years ago that a rock drummer playing a 4 hour gig would burn off the same calories as an NFL player in a full game. Judging from the number of clothes I have sweated thru in a set, I think that may be right.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
skinsman said:
I remember reading a lot of years ago that a rock drummer playing a 4 hour gig would burn off the same calories as an NFL player in a full game. Judging from the number of clothes I have sweated thru in a set, I think that may be right.
That didn't sound right to me until I realized that a football player is only on the field half the time, offense or defense, and that 90% of that time is walking back to the huddle, getting the play, lining up and waiting for the snap. when they are going full speed they're probably burning thousands of calories an hour, but they are full speed for only a few minutes a game.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
I never feel like I'm exerting myself, and I don't consider myself a hard hitter, but after a gig, I'm always RAVENOUSLY hungry. I must be burnig more than I think.

noahJT 2.0

Reaction score
Sequimite said:
That didn't sound right to me until I realized that a football player is only on the field half the time, offense or defense, and that 90% of that time is walking back to the huddle, getting the play, lining up and waiting for the snap. when they are going full speed they're probably burning thousands of calories an hour, but they are full speed for only a few minutes a game.
I've read something that said there's actually only about 20 minutes of actual football per football game!

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
frankmott said:
I never feel like I'm exerting myself, and I don't consider myself a hard hitter, but after a gig, I'm always RAVENOUSLY hungry. I must be burnig more than I think.
Same here. Even in the middle of winter, I break a sweat at a gig. I think we burn more than we realize, especially when you consider setup and teardown. I've always wanted to put a pedometer on my right leg.

supershifter2

DFO Master
Reaction score
its gonna vary. i will burn lots more calories playing "love machine" by w.a.s.p. than i will playing "born to be wild". its the lifting of the legs and speed that burn the most. play the wasp song. also "i am what i am" by doro will burn some calories.

Tony Richards played drums on the W.A.S.P. song.

Bobby Rondinelli played drums on the Doro song.

Last edited by a moderator:

MonkeyGrass

Keystone Addict
Reaction score
I"m pretty close to the 600/hour mark myself. I have a stupid high metabolism as it is, and I can literally eat a steak, potato and salad 30 minutes before showtime, and eat AGAIN an hour afterwards.

What I notice is that when I'm gigging normally (3-5x per week) I can basically eat whatever I want and not gain any weight. If I have a couple slow weeks, with maybe 1-2 gigs per, I'll pick up 4-5 lbs with a quickness. Less than two weeks. As soon I hit a 5-6 day road stretch, it's gone again.

TamaBuster

Reaction score
i too use my fitness pal and log my drumming. i feel it is accurate because i do play with oomf. i like to play heavy, and fast music sometimes, and hard rock music so i burn plenty of calories.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
noahJT 2.0 said:
I've read something that said there's actually only about 20 minutes of actual football per football game!

I think I once heard that the average football play only lasts 8 seconds.

:bunny:

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
A lot of this does make sense to me because I am always starved after a gig. I play top forty country and am not totally slamming but between setting up, tearing down and doing the gig I'm sure a fair amount is burned. Besides having food on my usually long drive home coupled with some zeppelin or something helps keep me awake.

Latest posts