Camber T-Tops

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Please be aware that 6mm threads (6mm - 1.00) and 1/4 - 20 threads are NOT the same. Not even close and definitely NOT compatible.
That's what I figured. Definitely need the 8mm's.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Used them forever...well, since they first came out, (maybe sometime in the 70's). The last time I bought some was about 10 years ago and I think it was Memphis Drum, but it could have been Steve Weiss or Casico.... They come in 6mm (1/4 X 20 thread) or 8mm (which is common on most modern stands).

There is nothing faster for set up / break downs and I have never had a cymbal dislodge or fly off. Easily worth the time spent on a web search.
Cool! I'll be on the search!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Since they are no longer in production, maybe Josh at INDe could come up with something like them - only better!
You know if they really are that good, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to recreate something similar. It seems like something that any machine shop could do easily. Maybe their is a patent issue or something. Either way, something similar can be made.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Excellent!
I found someone that has them brand new "New old stock". The problem is that they are 6mm., so I guess they won't work on my Gibraltars. Guess I'm gonna have to find somebody that has the 8mm's.
Those 6mm ones are gold! Not made anymore. They fit the old stands before 1990 or so, either Metric or American thread. I'm lucky I have all I need. I have some 8mm ones also, as I have some newer stands.

Like others have said, once you use these, you never go back. I also use sizzle chains on some songs and with brushes, so I need to be able to swap these out quickly. This is not possible with with wing nuts.

BTW, it was the late great Tommy Wells who turned many of us on to these in a thread a few years ago about things you can do to make setup/breakdown quicker. Another recommendation was a quick-latch hi-hat clutch.

8 Drivers Seat.jpg

agogobil

Drum Czardine
Reaction score
The first time I supplied backline, I found that most drummers couldn't figure them out and wound up unscrewing them anyway. :)

You might need some rubber tubing, as on some stands they don't screw all the way down the threads, leaving a gap.

Ptrick

Reaction score
Been using them for 20+ years. Funny, I was just thinking I needed to grab a few more...

Keep us updated on your search.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I've used them since I heard about them from DFO about 7 years ago. Two them have broken at the "T" but I just filed down any sharp edge and use them like the Maxwell toppers. Three of mine are 6mm stands (two pre-Atlas Ludwig flat base stands and an L-arm) and one's an 8mm bass drum mounted cymbal boom. They work great and easy. When I first started using them our bass player would take a cymbal off the stand in the middle of a song, just being playful.

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
I love these. Hopefully have all I need. There was someone on Ebay that had some of the 8mm listed, but after I bought and paid, they sent an email that they didn't have them and refunded my money. Would rather have had the t tops.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
There was someone selling multiple packs of these on ebay fairly recently. Pretty sure they were all 8mm because I didn't buy any ( I needed 6mm). All I see right now are some 1/4-20 ones listed though.

Edit: might have been the seller drummerton mentions above...in which case...nevermind.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
The first time I supplied backline, I found that most drummers couldn't figure them out and wound up unscrewing them anyway. :)
Same. I've provided backline with t-tops on the stands a number of times now and pretty sure have yet to see a drummer know how to use them. So yeah they unscrew them, sometimes drop them and almost lose them, etc. So in that way they're a hassle. In every other way they're awesome.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I found this Gibraltar solution as a very viable replacement to the Camber T-tops. Instead of tilting the cymbal, you swing the top of the cymbal topper. Seems nice also that it's designed so you can leave the top felt installed if you want. The only issue is that they are mega expensive at $20 each. It's OK if you have a couple of stands but I have 8!
Gibraltar.png

Ptrick

Reaction score
I had a Gibraltar stand that came with that top. The way the little “t” flips to secure the cymbal requires the use of the felt to keep it in the locked position. I don’t like felts on top of most of my cymbals, so I modified the stand to have a regular top.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a Gibraltar stand that came with that top. The way the little “t” flips to secure the cymbal requires the use of the felt to keep it in the locked position. I don’t like felts on top of most of my cymbals, so I modified the stand to have a regular top.
Besides the felt issue, how did you like it? It seems like a good option for me because I want to keep my Cympad inserts top and bottom. After evaluating the Camber t tops it seems that they wouldn't work with felts on top.

Ptrick

Reaction score
I think it worked fine with the felts in place. There may be some adjustments needed depending on the thickness and texture of the cympads, as it relies on pressure from the felt to keep it turned.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think it worked fine with the felts in place. There may be some adjustments needed depending on the thickness and texture of the cympads, as it relies on pressure from the felt to keep it turned.
If that's the case, it should be better with the Cympads. They are much firmer than standard felt. Now I have to see what I decide on. I like that Gibraltar but I can't wrap my head around paying $160 for eight of those things. That's the cost of a new cymbal! It's nuts! Lets see what I do!

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
If someone (Josh at Inde perhaps) could just reproduce the original Zildjian cymbal snaps and all would be right with the world. Although the Cambers are probably the better design (no moving parts).

I thought that those Gibraltar ones would be the answer before I saw them in person but you have to use the top felt for them to work and that's a non starter for me.