Camber T-Tops

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If someone (Josh at Inde perhaps) could just reproduce the original Zildjian cymbal snaps and all would be right with the world. Although the Cambers are probably the better design (no moving parts).

I thought that those Gibraltar ones would be the answer before I saw them in person but you have to use the top felt for them to work and that's a non starter for me.
They'd work for me since I like cympads top and bottom, but the price doesn't work for me. I'm searching for a nice functional solution that's reasonably priced. I have 8 stands so at $20 each, it's too much! Sweet Spot Clutches has some beautiful machined reasonably priced toppers but they don't have any that are quick remove. They are all screw on ones:

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score

Ptrick

Reaction score
I found a source for Camber 8mm t-tops for whoever is interested. $4.48 a piece! I'm no longer looking at these since I need something that allows for the top felt. But here it is for whoever is looking for them:
Do you need your top felt at a certain tension? You can still use a top felt with the T topper, it’s just loose, unless you stack a couple.

robthetimekeeper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't use anything on top of my cymbals, just a bottom felt and sleeve only. I don't understand the need for t tops. What purpose do they serve?

Ptrick

Reaction score
You can remove your cymbals without having to unscrew the wingnuts. You bring your cymbal up to the top of the ‘t’, angle your cymbal up or down, and the cymbal slides off. It’s great. I can throw up a new cymbal between songs in a few seconds. Also no unscrewing and losing wingnuts on dark stages.

robthetimekeeper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You can remove your cymbals without having to unscrew the wingnuts. You bring your cymbal up to the top of the ‘t’, angle your cymbal up or down, and the cymbal slides off. It’s great. I can throw up a new cymbal between songs in a few seconds. Also no unscrewing and losing wingnuts on dark stages.
Why is this better than having nothing on top at all?

robthetimekeeper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been playing loudly with nothing on top for years and have never had a cymbal come off. Ronnie Vannucci hits his cymbals harder than anyone and he also uses nothing on top. To each his own, but I just don't see the point of t tops.

Ptrick

Reaction score
That’s definitely a valid option, and the one I use at home. I used to gig with old k’s, and wasn’t comfortable having no top on there just in case. It was also a slight deterrent to someone just grabbing and running with one (if you haven’t used a t top, it takes a bit to figure out how to get it off). I HAVE had cymbals come off during a gig, and I’m not a hard hitter. I’ve also seen it happen to Bill Stewart live.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Used them (camberttops) in the 70s Still have a couple broken ones to remind me . Heads broke off I only got a couple years gigging out of em.
Zildjian snaps lasted

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Do you need your top felt at a certain tension? You can still use a top felt with the T topper, it’s just loose, unless you stack a couple.
I don't! The issue I still see even if I can use the top felt is that I would have to remove the t-top to take off the felt and cymbal. That pretty much dismisses the t-tops purpose unless you could remove the felt without unscrewing the t-top. That seems unlikely though.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't use anything on top of my cymbals, just a bottom felt and sleeve only. I don't understand the need for t tops. What purpose do they serve?
You can remove the cymbal by tilting it instead of unscrewing a wingnut.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been playing loudly with nothing on top for years and have never had a cymbal come off. Ronnie Vannucci hits his cymbals harder than anyone and he also uses nothing on top. To each his own, but I just don't see the point of t tops.

Setting aside the flying cymbal issue, it's aesthetics too!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Used them (camberttops) in the 70s Still have a couple broken ones to remind me . Heads broke off I only got a couple years gigging out of em.
Zildjian snaps lasted
I've read about the Camber tips breaking.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Why is this better than having nothing on top at all?
I'd assume at the end of the night you'd need to put the wing nuts back on the hold the felt and sleeve in place during transit...? The T Top will keep them in place so you never need to bother with the wing nuts again.

BTW: I attach the T tops to my stands with a couple of drops of blue loctite added so they aren't coming off, at least not easily.