Camber T-Tops

robthetimekeeper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I see 2 reasons:
1. A cymbal can fly off if the rod is really short
2. That rod just sitting there looks ugly to me
1. A short rod sounds like a personal problem I don't have (on my stands anyway). :)
2. If using a topper purely for aesthetics, I wouldn't pick the Camber. They're ugly IMO. The Maxwell ones are much nicer looking.

robthetimekeeper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'd assume at the end of the night you'd need to put the wing nuts back on the hold the felt and sleeve in place during transit...? The T Top will keep them in place so you never need to bother with the wing nuts again.

BTW: I attach the T tops to my stands with a couple of drops of blue loctite added so they aren't coming off, at least not easily.
I just put my stands in the case and yes, sometimes the sleeves come off and end up loose in there. But it only takes a second to put them back on. I could prevent them coming off with a drop of glue but it doesn't bother me. I only have three cymbal stands so it's not a big deal.
I know my opinion on the toppers is an unpopular one. I'm not trying to convert anyone, just sharing to give another option.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just put my stands in the case and yes, sometimes the sleeves come off and end up loose in there. But it only takes a second to put them back on. I could prevent them coming off with a drop of glue but it doesn't bother me. I only have three cymbal stands so it's not a big deal.
I know my opinion on the toppers is an unpopular one. I'm not trying to convert anyone, just sharing to give another option.
Whatever works for anyone is fine by me. Just expressing why I'd need to put the wing nuts back on if I played without them. I could easily play without the wing nuts or the T-tops without much chance of a cymbal hopping off the stand (and I don't use top felts, I keep my hi-hat top nice and floppy loose as well) but the bare threads would bother me so I'd need something on there, and the T-tops hide the threads but allow me faster set-up and tear down. I have a lot of cymbal stands that still have the wing nuts on them. It's amazing because whenever I happen to use one and I realize I'm going to have to undo the wing nut my brain goes "ugh, geez, I have to do this". Such a tiny minor thing to have to do but once you get used to not needing to do it it does seem a bother. But that's just me.

blue-onyx

Reaction score
Those 6mm ones are gold! Not made anymore. They fit the old stands before 1990 or so, either Metric or American thread. I'm lucky I have all I need. I have some 8mm ones also, as I have some newer stands.

Like others have said, once you use these, you never go back. I also use sizzle chains on some songs and with brushes, so I need to be able to swap these out quickly. This is not possible with with wing nuts.

BTW, it was the late great Tommy Wells who turned many of us on to these in a thread a few years ago about things you can do to make setup/breakdown quicker. Another recommendation was a quick-latch hi-hat clutch.

No the 6mm thread is NOT compatible with 1/4-20 thread. Close, but if you try to screw the 6mm T-top onto a 1/4-20 thread you will have to really force it, and it will only go a few turns. Go the hardware store and try to thread a 6mm nut onto a 1/4-20 machine screw, and you will see what I mean....

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
1. A short rod sounds like a personal problem I don't have (on my stands anyway). :)
2. If using a topper purely for aesthetics, I wouldn't pick the Camber. They're ugly IMO. The Maxwell ones are much nicer looking.
1. Nice to know, that makes two of us! LOL!!
2. I agree, the Camber is kind of ugly but bare rods to me are uglier. And yes the Maxwell's at least are pretty.
Check these out from Sweet spot clutches, they are pretty as well (machined & they come in different finishes) but their not quick release:confused::
topper.jpg

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Whatever works for anyone is fine by me. Just expressing why I'd need to put the wing nuts back on if I played without them. I could easily play without the wing nuts or the T-tops without much chance of a cymbal hopping off the stand (and I don't use top felts, I keep my hi-hat top nice and floppy loose as well) but the bare threads would bother me so I'd need something on there, and the T-tops hide the threads but allow me faster set-up and tear down. I have a lot of cymbal stands that still have the wing nuts on them. It's amazing because whenever I happen to use one and I realize I'm going to have to undo the wing nut my brain goes "ugh, geez, I have to do this". Such a tiny minor thing to have to do but once you get used to not needing to do it it does seem a bother. But that's just me.
Hey, whatever works! That's the main thing anyways.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Slight OT about wing nuts...when ever I play backline multi-band gigs when I'm done I leave the wing nuts and felts in plain sight on the floor tom, saves the next guy having to take them off. Couple of gigs ago the next drummer came back to the green room and complimented me on it. Said "Man that's classy....saves the next guy some time!" I told him he lost that time by coming and complimenting me :)

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Still use zip snap!
Properly threaded the top portion of the dw stem works like a dream compressed against the clear plastic protective sleeve over the stem.
17BE5E04-9468-40D7-AFEE-2A00C36DE317.jpeg

The white stuff under the felt is glue to keep it from coming off during transport. I apologize for the messy job of it lol

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Still use zip snap!
Properly threaded the top portion of the dw stem works like a dream compressed against the clear plastic protective sleeve over the stem.
View attachment 393628
The white stuff under the felt is glue to keep it from coming off during transport. I apologize for the messy job of it lol
Looks fine and I'm sure it works. I'm sure that with the cymbal on top it looks good. Better than having just the stem sticking up which I really don't like.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
No the 6mm thread is NOT compatible with 1/4-20 thread. Close, but if you try to screw the 6mm T-top onto a 1/4-20 thread you will have to really force it, and it will only go a few turns. Go the hardware store and try to thread a 6mm nut onto a 1/4-20 machine screw, and you will see what I mean....
Are the old Rogers stands 1/4-20? If so, the 6mm Camber T-Tops work fine on mine--9 or 10 total. When I bought them NOS on eBay, the seller made the claim that they would fit, and they indeed do.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
Zildjian Zil-bel cymbal snaps are about $50 each on the secondary market. No longer made. I have four I use, but i’d Hate to have ‘em snap off in my hardware case.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes I only use the two I still have at home. Zil Snaps used to be 8$ for two.

Camber t-tops in my experience were junk.
back then, anything 'camber' was suspect

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score

Really? I can't find a fault with the many I use on my various setups.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Some of the T-Tops I've bought were branded as "Sabian" although they look just like the Camber ones.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

My first cymbal ever (back like in 1982) was a Camber crash/ride. It came with my first drumset. It was really really bad!
I figured though that an accessory couldn't be that bad but I guess the t-tops are. I keep reading about the tops breaking off.
That stinks!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Some of the T-Tops I've bought were branded as "Sabian" although they look just like the Camber ones.
After you posted this, I looked into that. Apparently they were made by Camber for Sabian so I guess they are identical.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Are the old Rogers stands 1/4-20? If so, the 6mm Camber T-Tops work fine on mine--9 or 10 total. When I bought them NOS on eBay, the seller made the claim that they would fit, and they indeed do.
From what I've read, most of the older stuff is 6mm & the newer stuff is 8mm. It's interesting that I can find the 6mm t-tops "NOS" everywhere but the 8mm's are hard to find. I figure they stopped making the t-tops when everything was becoming 8mm so they probably made less of those.

Latest posts