Camco Chanute Wood Snare Question.

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know this thread is almost 2 years old but wanted to add this nugget.
Chanute endorser snare with no muffler and different strainer location.
It does have the opposite side of badge key holder.
Wayne
Photo Mar 22, 2 00 49 PM.jpg Photo Mar 22, 2 01 36 PM.jpg Photo Mar 22, 2 02 13 PM.jpg

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
I’ve never seen a lacquer finish on a Camco drum look so good. And the grain on that outer ply really knocks it out of the park. As others have said it’s gorgeous. I’d definitely hang onto that one!

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wayne, doesn't that drum have a special story behind it? If it comes with the kit I am thinking of, there's a reason the finish looks different from other Chanute period finishes.

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
68770575-BEA0-4D0E-81CA-DF4DD62375B6.jpeg You’re right Prufrock,
I have the whole kit. It was Alan Laschiver’s kit. I spoke to him and he said him and Camco owner John Rochon worked together on developing the wood finishes. He said this particular set was Cherry with 6 or more coats of bar lacquer. I do believe this was the prototype for the LA Camco color Stradivarius.The Chanute kit is signed 1972. I took a side by side shot of my LA Walnut and the Chanute Cherry? To show the difference. The color is absolutely beautiful.
Wayne

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
View attachment 391196 You’re right Prufrock,
I have the whole kit. It was Alan Laschiver’s kit. I spoke to him and he said him and Camco owner John Rochon worked together on developing the wood finishes. He said this particular set was Cherry with 6 or more coats of bar lacquer. I do believe this was the prototype for the LA Camco color Stradivarius.The Chanute kit is signed 1972. I took a side by side shot of my LA Walnut and the Chanute Cherry? To show the difference. The color is absolutely beautiful.
Wayne
Wayne,
John Rochon sold Camco to Kustom in 1971. So did this kit actually start out in Oaklawn and then ended up getting Chanute badges because the sale happened during the process of this kit being built?

Steve

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Steve,
Alan mentioned to me that it is Oaklawn. I am still looking into it further but I did hear that it might have just had grommets and no badges. The previous owner added the Chanute badges and used the original grommets that came with the set. The shells were also not drilled for mufflers. I think because Alan signed 72 with his signature the previous owner thought that it was Chanute. We had to cut our conversation short but I will be talking to Alan again soon.
Wayne

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's a special and unique kit, Wayne. Glad it has found a good home!

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hello again to all,
I did speak to Alan again and he gave me some more info.
The kit is an Oaklawn era, he couldn’t remember exactly the year but said 1966-67.
6-ply Cherry over blond maple.
He didn’t put badges on only the grommets and left them so they could be popped out. None of the drums were drilled for dampers. He can’t remember why he put 72” with the signature but the previous owner must of thought it was a Chanute and put Chanute badges.
He mentioned that he and John worked together on the wood finishes and there are only 2 sets with this color. He still has the other one in smaller sizes.
I am honored to own these.
Might have to look for some Oaklawn badges just to be correct. I really thought these were Chanute when I bought them but not disappointed.
So now that we know the story what do you think, leave the current badges, find Oaklawn badges or take off badges and just leave the grommets?
Wayne

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
If that were my kit it would drive me nuts knowing that the kit is an Oaklawn but has Chanute badges. I would be looking for Oaklawn badges! Just grommets would bother me too. I know, I have issues!

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
HAHA Steve,
I am with you, might look into the reproduction badges because I think I will have some problems finding 4 Oaklawn.
I believe these would have the USA on them correct?
I think Mario had some reproductions ,Might have to see if he has any.
Wayne