Camco L.A. Help Needed

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been presented with an opportunity from an acquaintance to purchase a 4 piece Camco kit (2 rack toms, floor, and BD...no snare). I want to say they are 10, 12, 14, 20. I looked at them quickly, and the bearing edges look flawless; finish still has it's glossy shine, and all the hardware looks good, including the internal muffling systems.

That said, I am, by no means, knowledgable in the vintage drum world, other than to know that Camco's have a good reputation. So, my question is they asked me to make them a reasonable offer. They aren't musicians and inherited the drums from a family member who had them stored in hard cases in a closet. There is also some hardware, cymbals, stands, and the hard cases that would come with it. Take a look at the pics and help me come up with a fair offer to them. I don't want to take advantage of them. Any help and info on these drums is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
My God, that's a beautiful set! Sorry I can't give you a current estimate on price for that kit, but you should do whatever you can to get them.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
From the photos, it looks all original, except the tom mount. If there is minimal pitting on the hoops and lugs, then those drums are worth at least $2500 - $3000.

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response! I did not notice any pitting. I looked closely at the tom mounts...should've taken pics of them, but it looked like this is what came with the drums. Is it possible that they (Camco) would have used tom mounts from other companies? Just thinking out loud. They told me the drums were purchased new for a kid drummer who quickly lost interest, so they put them in the cases and they haven't been out in years...maybe decades? Who knows how accurate that is...and I am now sure they have no idea what they have.

$2500-$3000 is more than I was thinking, but I know nothing about that. Would it be unethical to offer $1,500 which is what I was thinking originally?

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
600$ would be a non-insulting start
Start at 500..
It's still old drums that not everyone is as involved in with as we/some/ are..
750$
you start going much higher
you're into Brand new -zero-miles-modern fittings- Gretsch Renown territory
have to take the emotion out of it and figure they have no need for them -they want them out- and they know they're going to good hands-
and everyone's happy.
Not everyone studies/ebay/maxwell/reverb/ spread sheets (or cares..
Just wants them Gone. fairly.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Great points, and of course my bank account likes that response. At the end of the day, I intend to play them regularly. I'm not trying to rip anyone off, nor do I intend to buy cheap then flip. But yeah, I guess value is relative.

600$ would be a non-insulting start
Start at 500..
It's still old drums that not everyone is as involved in with as we/some/ are..
750$
you start going much higher
you're into Brand new -zero-miles-modern fittings- Gretsch Renown territory
have to take the emotion out of it and figure they have no need for them -they want them out- and they know they're going to good hands-
and everyone's happy.
Not everyone studies/ebay/maxwell/reverb/ spread sheets (or cares..
Just wants them Gone. fairly.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
There's "what you could get them for" and "a respectful offer". To me, a respectful offer is just a little under market value. To low-ball your way into a gorgeous set of vintage drums is a different matter. Go with your heart....and don't trust my estimate. Someone will come along and post a more accurate value.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
Oh, and by the way - the tom mount is completely unoriginal. It's a 70s Ludwig double Tom mount. This was not uncommon at all back then; kits are often found with Rogers or Ludwig Tom mounts. It detracts from the collector's value of the kit, but not a lot. The tom brackets are also Ludwig.

Reaction score
I think I'd utilize a modern DW mounting system as I'm more interested in playing them than keeping them original. Of course, I will still search for original tom mounts just so I have them...assuming I get the drums!

Oh, and by the way - the tom mount is completely unoriginal. It's a 70s Ludwig double Tom mount. This was not uncommon at all back then; kits are often found with Rogers or Ludwig Tom mounts.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
I really thought more forum members would have chimed in by now as to the fair market value of that kit. I love Camco and have a kit myself, and I keep an eye out for kits on sale. So, I'll stick with my estimate.... I will officially say that, based on the photos ( which aren't that good, no offense), that kit, with the snare and cymbals and stands, is worth $2750.00 - $3250.00. It looks to be in really good shape, and walnut is a desirable finish.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
You're answering from the other end. The retail end.
This is the wholesale side.

And 'outside the hive' there's no bottom dollar. In regards to used items.
At present, it's 'outside the hive' well outside the hive.

as soon as it gets in the hive "well..
But at present he's not fighting against any other "bees"

And a..for a fellow drummer's sake..let's try (for a change) and keep it that way..for a fellow drummer. To a layman those used things are worth 50$. That's living outside the hive. And people do (shockingly apparently) live there too.

Any 'good bee" can look up previous internet sales and from that "derive a figure".
But there's another world

It's the Hive mentality that took old Ks over 1000$..
It's the hive that took __name it___brass old supra's to nose-bleed heights.
Sometimes- for the sake of fellow drummer's- gotta bust up the hive, just give the nest a good whack and bring it down bring it back down to earth.

Last edited:

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What is fair market value ? Private seller or reverb/eBay/ dealer?

That’s a really nice drum set. REALLY nice. Probably worth 2 grand up to 2500 for sure. It’s always helpful to ask someone what they want for it. And if they’re not sure that’s when the awkward balance of integrity and finance come into play.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure LA's had double headed 10"ers , so I'd guess 12 / 13 from the pics . If possible try to find out if they're undersized by the gap between the head collar and shell . This was an important feature of the LA product and produced a huge bottom end clarity . Some call it the tympanic effect .

If they are in fact as described and you can afford it, don't hesitate !!!

EDIT - OK so I re-looked at the photos, and the Ludwig tom hardware notwithstanding, your honorable disposition , I think 2000$$ and everybody wins . These drums have absorbed what appears to be a positive environment . You can't put a price on that .

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
You're answering from the other end. The retail end.
This is the wholesale side.

And 'outside the hive' there's no bottom dollar. In regards to used items.
At present, it's 'outside the hive' well outside the hive.

as soon as it gets in the hive "well..
But at present he's not fighting against any other "bees"

And a..for a fellow drummer's sake..let's try (for a change) and keep it that way..for a fellow drummer. To a layman those used things are worth 50$. That's living outside the hive. And people do (shockingly apparently) live there too.

Any 'good bee" can look up previous internet sales and from that "derive a figure".
But there's another world

It's the Hive mentality that took old Ks over 1000$..
It's the hive that took __name it___brass old supra's to nose-bleed heights.
Sometimes- for the sake of fellow drummer's- gotta bust up the hive, just give the nest a good whack and bring it down bring it back down to earth.
nose bleed heights .... hahahahahahaha thasagoodun'

Reactions: JDA

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
EDIT - OK so I re-looked at the photos, and the Ludwig tom hardware notwithstanding, your honorable disposition , I think 2000$$ and everybody wins . These drums have absorbed what appears to be a positive environment . You can't put a price on that .
I agree. And yes, those are probably 22/12/13/16 sizes. I would love to have 'em!

Tanabata

Reaction score
Knowing how good those drums are, and being a fan of that finish, I'd be thrilled to grab them for 1800, and also feel like it was fair both ways. Not sure that I'd go much higher, depends. I've recently seen that finish and config go for 1800, though the seller initially wanted much more.

red66charger

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I agree with Tanabata's valuation. Anything under $1,200 (probably even a little higher) is a great deal, but could also be seen as taking advantage of someone who might not know what they are worth. To get the drums for $500 or $700 would be great, but if they are coming from someone you know and they eventually find out what they are worth you'll need to own up to your offer.

I don't know of any 10" L.A. shells and a 20" L.A. bass drum is possible but fairly rare, I'd think. Same with 14" floor toms. If that is a 12/13/16 tom combo that is awesome! A lot of the L.A. kits were 13/14/16. I am hoping to find a 12" L.A. shell myself. They don't come up often.

The floor tom legs are also not original. Bob Saull (Carolina Classics and DFO member Cruisin) has really nice stainless steel reproduction legs for a fair price. Not sure if it's just a lighting difference, but the floor tom almost looks like a different finish. The other drums look a little like Camco's Ebony stain and the floor tom looks Walnut. The fifth photo is why I mention this. I am probably wrong as that would be unlikely if this is a born together set. And on that note of born together, L.A. Camco kits sort of have "serial numbers" stamped or written, usually on the batter side reinforcement ring. You'll know for sure if these drums were born together if the number is the same on all the shells. As has been mentioned, there is Ludwig hardware on the bass and tom toms. A look inside the shells will obviously tell if the Ludwig hardware was originally used or added later. I'm not seeing signs of extra holes on that bass drum. Can't tell on the toms but everything looks like it may have been factory mounted or sold as virgin shells and the hardware added later.

Give the thread a little time. I'm sure more knowledgeable Camco enthusiasts will chime in soon. Waiting to hear from Prufrock as he knows all about the brand. This is all ticky-tack stuff. The finish looks original and it looks to be in great shape. This looks like a killer drum set. I'd be looking to pick these up for sure if I were you. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts