Camco L.A. Help Needed

Cruisin

Reaction score
So...how do I go about finding original floor tom legs and a matching snare?
Hi Dimitri,
Congratulations on your new kit and welcome to the Camco community. I agree with many of the others that you handled this transaction with integrity and professionalism.

To answer your question, I do make stainless steel Camco reproduction legs and have them in both versions... 17” straight and 18” splayed. If you have an interest you can contact me here or at rksaull@gmail.com
Bob Saull

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes agree with all the above.
great kit and great story.
The Walnut Snare is going to be a tough find but they did come with COB snares also which would be easier but pricey to find. ( anything Camco at the moment will not be cheap, if ever).
Here is a picture of my COB snare.
IMG_5199.jpg

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
By the way I have an exact same size kit with all numbered #47 in Walnut.
#61 would be fairly early production in LA.
Supra I would say 77-78 also.

Wayne

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
Congrats and welcome to the Camco club! What a great deal on a great kit. I agree with the Coated Emps over Ambassadors for heads. They're going to sound great.

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So...how do I go about finding original floor tom legs and a matching snare?
You're going to end up paying more for the matching snare than you did for the whole kit.

Here's one, though not sure I would get this one.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great points, and of course my bank account likes that response. At the end of the day, I intend to play them regularly. I'm not trying to rip anyone off, nor do I intend to buy cheap then flip. But yeah, I guess value is relative.
It is relative. Location is a factor, as well. There was a red stradivarius, LA Camco near me for sale (22/12/13/16/14), on FB, for about 8 months, until it finally was gone. The guy was only asking $1200.00 CDN. Included the old school cases, to. I couldn't believe it didn't sell right away.

In regards to Reverb/Ebay pricing, there's a reason you see kits sit on there forever. You can ask whatever price you want, but in the end, the market dictates the outcome.

Awesome kit, its cool you actually plan on playing it, and not keeping it as a museum piece in your basement, or flipping it to make rent.

Reaction score
Someone on the Facebook group seemed to think my number was 461, not #61. I looked closely and can see it both ways. Not that it really matters to me, but it would have helped if all the drums had the numbers.

Wayne- LA Camco was 73-77ish so this kit is probably 73/74 as is yours. Early era.

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
Someone on the Facebook group seemed to think my number was 461, not #61. I looked closely and can see it both ways. Not that it really matters to me, but it would have helped if all the drums had the numbers.
I’m late to the party. Congrats on a beautiful LA Camco kit. There is a reason most Camco kits sit forever on Reverb/ EBay. It’s either finish, sizes, extra holes , condition or a combination of all of the above. You scored an unmolested Camco kit in almost pristine condition at an unheard of price! Your drums alone should sell quick at the $2000 mark if you were to decide to sell.

I was the one on FB that said it could be 461. I’m a Camco guy but I collect mostly Oaklawn & Chanute era, LAs I only know a little bit about. I would reach out on here to LA Camco owners. In fact do a search for Camco serial numbers. Try and find pics of early numbers versus later numbers and try to find one that matches the style of numbers on yours as there were quite a few different styles. That should help determine if that number is 461 or 61.

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
Also another thing is LA did two different versions of the badge. The first one is the same as the other eras. It is raised lettering and around the edge with a white enamel background ( George Way was black background). The second version is silk screened so there are no raised lettering or edge. That will also help determine if it were early or later LA.

LA era was 1973-78. I was told that they didn’t actually start building drums until 1975 and stopped in 1977. I have no idea if this is true or not and I’ve never been able to find that in writing. It may have been a rumor started because the only LA catalog in dated 1975 and Tama/ Hoshino made Camco started in 1978.

Reaction score
Thanks for the response! I put new heads on and have been happily playing them for the last few weeks. They sound and feel great.

Upon re-heading it, I did find another serial # stamp on the bass drum and it is very clearly "#61." Glad I found another stamp to confirm!

I’m late to the party. Congrats on a beautiful LA Camco kit. There is a reason most Camco kits sit forever on Reverb/ EBay. It’s either finish, sizes, extra holes , condition or a combination of all of the above. You scored an unmolested Camco kit in almost pristine condition at an unheard of price! Your drums alone should sell quick at the $2000 mark if you were to decide to sell.

I was the one on FB that said it could be 461. I’m a Camco guy but I collect mostly Oaklawn & Chanute era, LAs I only know a little bit about. I would reach out on here to LA Camco owners. In fact do a search for Camco serial numbers. Try and find pics of early numbers versus later numbers and try to find one that matches the style of numbers on yours as there were quite a few different styles. That should help determine if that number is 461 or 61.

Reaction score
These badges are definitely with raised lettering. It's super exciting to learn more and more about these LA drums and all the other Camco drums for sure!

Also another thing is LA did two different versions of the badge. The first one is the same as the other eras. It is raised lettering and around the edge with a white enamel background ( George Way was black background). The second version is silk screened so there are no raised lettering or edge. That will also help determine if it were early or later LA.

LA era was 1973-78. I was told that they didn’t actually start building drums until 1975 and stopped in 1977. I have no idea if this is true or not and I’ve never been able to find that in writing. It may have been a rumor started because the only LA catalog in dated 1975 and Tama/ Hoshino made Camco started in 1978.

Reactions: JDA
Reaction score
Here is the best pic I could get of the stamp inside the kick drum without having to tear apart my whole set up. Feeling a little lazy recently...lol. Definitely is a # instead of another 4. #61 it is!

Also tried to get a shot of the badges with raised lettering...and a bonus shot of the nice undersized shells!

289EB128-D999-425C-96F3-798D2252F8E6.jpeg
B6AF6955-B1D1-4697-AF97-D322187E5403.jpeg
F34D82E5-4245-43FE-8A4E-8816EA793438.jpeg
E58324FB-639E-4DD2-9628-4E35BA64F6CD.jpeg

Pics or none of this happened at all ;).....

Reactions: JDA

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Glad you are enjoying the kit! Thanks for the additional photos and confirming the number. That's a pretty early one during the LA period.

Latest posts