Camco Oaklawn bop kit!

airborneSFC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So this kit cost me a Rogers kit and a Clubdate kit in trade. I could have just paid cash but figured I would roll the dice. This thing is cool as school and actually was used at the Eddie Knight School for drummers (has the stamp inside each drum). 12x8,14x14,18x14 and matching snare. I had to take a shot next to my LA era kit for good measure.

Special thanks to Jess and Hayden from Maxwell Drums as well as Mario the Camco guru for his helpful insights.

Enjoy!

Manny

20180713_214743.jpg

20180713_224521.jpg

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Flying to airshows across America in a B-29 Superf
Holy s*it! Red Sparkle... a true keeper...

Wow those are absolutely beautiful and like it's brother (the Oaklawn Aristocrat 18" bop kit) these Oaklawn "tuxedo" 18" bop kits with matching snare drum are extremely rare... congratulations!

airborneSFC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Osahead2 said:
Holy s*it! Red Sparkle... a true keeper...

Wow those are absolutely beautiful and like it's brother (the Oaklawn Aristocrat 18" bop kit) these Oaklawn "tuxedo" 18" bop kits with matching snare drum are extremely rare... congratulations!
Thanks man! I honestly thought I was going to regret trading away my Rogers kit...but not once I set them up and played them. The early 60's hardware is not as robust as Rogers or the later Camco era but man the sound! The COB hoops all around are a nice touch.

I need to play them a lot this weekend as I am off again airplane nerding all next week.

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Amazing and better than money in the bank. The matching snare puts it through the roof. Gig 'em, that's an order.
BTW, the Rogers kit you traded was not a bop kit was it? Good.

airborneSFC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all the kind words. The best part of course is playing these cool drums.

20180714_081635.jpg

bob meyer

Reaction score
Yup... the real deal. Eddie Knight kits are great.
Ive had 2 and just sold a 12,12,14,18,5 turret lug set in Silver Sp.
Wonderful rare drums! Congratulations.

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm such a sucker for center-lugged drums.
What beauties!

W&A Player

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Tuxedo drums from the Oak Lawn factory (the city of Oak Lawn spells its name this way) are terrific tools of the trade. Your bop set is drool worthy. Back in 1967, my Oaklawn Camco Aristocrat set was part of the load in our band hauler. My only Camco drum at present is an all original Tuxedo snare drum.

Attachments

airborneSFC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was able to play the set this weekend a bit. The upgraded snare throw is a nice touch. Interestingly enough my last Tuxedo kit also had an upgraded snare strainer. The tom guard works great and I recommend these for anyone worried about their snare rubbing against their rack tom.

20180716_184820.jpg

20180716_184735.jpg

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
airborneSFC said:
I was able to play the set this weekend a bit. The upgraded snare throw is a nice touch. Interestingly enough my last Tuxedo kit also had an upgraded snare strainer. The tom guard works great and I recommend these for anyone worried about their snare rubbing against their rack tom.

20180716_184820.jpg

20180716_184735.jpg
The Tuxedo snare drum with the economy strainer is called The Studio Model.

The one like yours with an Aristocrat strainer is called The Orchestra Tuxedo Model.

Very nice find!

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Love the Red and thanks for the info on the strainers Dolfan.
Good to know.
Enjoy those babies.

Wayne

Jolo

Reaction score
It's fun to see one of my old Camco sets pop up again.
I had that Tuxedo Eddie Knight set and a Red Sparkle Aristocrat 18/12/14/Super at the 2013 Chicago Show.
The Aristocrat set went to Steve Maxwell and the Tuxedo set sold to a fellow from Chicago who was going to resell it.
Great photos are on page 9 in a post titled "2013 Chicago Drum Show" from Drum Kat on April 09, 2013.

I bought Tuxedo set from a back room at the Music Go Round consignment store in Minnetonka MN several years earlier.
The salesman and I though it was a 20" bass because it was sitting between a couple of huge bass drums.
I didn't realize it was an 18" until a few days later when I took it out of the case... A pleasent surprise.

Pocketplayer

Reaction score
That green kit is stunningly gorgeous...just to sit behind that kit makes you sound better!

airborneSFC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pocketplayer said:
That green kit is stunningly gorgeous...just to sit behind that kit makes you sound better!
If you have seen the other kits that have come and gone the fact the green LA Camco remains speaks volumes! Such a versatile kit.

Joe it is an honor to own one of your kits! Thank you for the back story. Hope to meet you someday. Plan is to be a Chicago 2019.

Latest posts