Camco Oaklawn COB 5x14 Score

DolFan54

Camco Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought this COB Oaklawn Aristocrat off of Reverb today from Hawthorne Drums. If any of you have ever dealt with Chris then you know what a great guy he is to deal with!
The COB Camco in both the Oaklawn and Chanute era are almost all made with Tuxedo lugs. The catalogs are confusing as there is one page dedicated to metal drums showing tuxedo lugs. You have to look at the fine print to see that the drums are also available with round lugs. It's also in the fine print in the section with Aristocrat snare drums. So needless to say COB Aristocrat Oaklawn and Chanute snares just never pop up for sale. I own a Chanute COB Aristocrat. I bought just the shell off of Ebay years ago for $30. But the Oaklawn has been a very elusive drum. In fact I've been looking for one for over 20 years!

So today when I saw this drum pop up for $700, I thought it was a fair price and I bought it thinking I was buying a 99 Super, which is also rare but I'd rather have a standard Aristocrat strainer. Well once I started looking at the drum closer, the only thing on the drum that is a 99 Super is the bottom hoop. I'm still waiting to hear back from Chris to ask him a few questions I have. The drum could have been drilled for a 99 Super on the strainer side and standard butt on the other. I have seen that before. It's a factory mistake and the other one I saw they modified the 99 Super strainer to work as a single strainer. If that's the case there should be 3 holes for the strainer instead of 2 holes for a standard strainer. But it seems odd that they would put 99 Super hoops on it too. It's definitely a head scratcher.

I'm retiring in 3 weeks after 26.5 years at my job. This is the perfect retirement gift!

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey that looks great, I hope you enjoy it!

coastie

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
She’s a beauty! I love it when a plan comes together.
It’s interesting that you mention your retirement. Congratulations to you.
I’m mailing in my retirement paperwork today. 42 year IBEW local 46 member and I’ve been ready to be done. It’s a young person’s gig.

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great find and I am envious!!
Which catalog(s) contain that fine print?
Congrats on retirement!!

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice score, Stephen! Now that you mention it, I can't see any holes for the super strainer, either. Looks like a straight up Aristocrat shell. What do you make of the grommet? Let us know what you find out when you receive it.

Should be a nice drum to help you celebrate your retirement - congratulations!

Jolo

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice find, Steve, and congratulations on your upcoming retirement.
Better than a gold watch though you can keep time on either one.

Troyh

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Nicely done! Congrats Steve!
(I'm looking at retiring at the end of this year, too. House isn't paid off, my son starting college, but it is time for me after 30 years in education.)
Miss ya'! Drum show 2022?

DolFan54

Camco Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice score, Stephen! Now that you mention it, I can't see any holes for the super strainer, either. Looks like a straight up Aristocrat shell. What do you make of the grommet? Let us know what you find out when you receive it.

Should be a nice drum to help you celebrate your retirement - congratulations!
The drum is indeed an Aristocrat. The chrome is immaculate. The strainer snaps into the on position so no need to work on this one! Grommet is correct for metal shells.

this drum is super clean and well taken care of. My best guess is that they ran out of hoops and put these 99 Super hoops on it to fill an order. The other scenario is someone swapped out the original and replaced them with the 99 Supers. However the chrome on the hoops match the chrome on the shell as far as being immaculate.

She’s a keeper for sure!