Camco Oaklawn Snare 14 x 5.5

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This snare wasn’t for sale and to be honest I was hesitant about selling it in the first place. I threw it out there to David and now Howie. After playing it last night at rehearsal I’m keeping it! Damn it sounds so good! Good luck on finding what you’re looking for.
Howie, DolFan54 is THE MAN when it comes to George Way. Whatever he says about the drum is accurate, including if it sounds great!

howiedrum

Reaction score
Thank you for doing me the favor of taking photos and offering it up. I want you to know that I do appreciate that. I know that these drums are rare and become a part of us. I am new at this vintage drum market. I have really enjoyed getting feedback from folks because I don't have any local people to run ideas by and learn from and I just don't know enough myself, so I proceed cautiously. My goal is to eventually complete my Camco set with a maple Camco or GW snare. In the meantime I will be polishing up my current set, switching out some of my Rogers hardware for Camco and adding a resonator head to the bass drum and see how they sound. At some point hopefully I will obtain the right snare to match what I have. In the end what mostly matters is that our drums sound great. So I am happy to know that your GW, even with some of the issues you disclosed, sounds so good! It tells me that even with some extra holes in the shell and recutting of the bearing edge, the drums can still sound great. I will continue my hunt. Best wishes!

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am not a Camco collector, but I am an advocate of saving your money and paying a bit extra for a good solid no excuses drum. Both look like a lot of money for drums you will have to make excuses for down the road.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Unless you really must have it, it's not worth $700 to me. Sure, I could "fix" the sanding issues and clean it and make it pretty but.......