Camco ride tom questions - please help.

Too Many Drums - NAH!

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm sure that there are some people out there who can answer a few questions concerning an LA badged 8x12 tom.

1) This drum does not have a tone controller, nor did it ever have one that was removed and holes filled, etc. Did the toms in this size from LA have tone controllers?

2) The tension rods are a mish-mash of all different types. I don't think I have even a matching pair. What is the correct tension rod and washer? Are the ones from DW correct that I can get today?

3) The hoops are not the correct ones. I looked at my LA toms and they're different than what this drum has on it. Is there a common hoop that will match the Camco-style that's readily available (Ludwig, Rogers. etc.)?

4) What's the length of the swivel nuts?

5) This drum has a mixture of lug mounting hardware. Is the screw a slotted or Philips type? Do they have a star washer and/or a flat washer under them when they're screwed into the lug?

What is the current Remo equivalent to the heads originally on this drum?

Although I have an LA-badged Camco set, I wasn't sure if some of these items would be different on an 12" tom versus a 14 or a 16 floor tom.

With everybody's help, I can determine what I need and then place an ad in the "Wanted" section. However, if you do have any of this stuff, please contact me with condition and price.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

stedi

Reaction score
Hi,

I sure don't have all the answers,...

I took a few pictures of the 12" tom and some of the hardware of my AC Blue LA kit.

- Mine has a tone controller but as Camco in the LA period was pretty much a custom-shop, everything is possible I guess.

- The washers should be the thick aluminum types.

- The LA steel hoops are nothing special and can be found on many brands. Rogers and Ludwig are slightly different however.

The pictures should give you an idea of the wing-nut, alu-washers, rods and lug mounting hardware

Hope it helps

Attachments

Too Many Drums - NAH!

Reaction score
Hi Stedi,

Thanks so much for taking the time to photograph your Camco tom. It's very much appreciated. Even though I have different sized LA Camco toms than my 12, I just wanted to make sure that the parts are the same.

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
Too Many Drums - NAH! said:
Hi guys,

I'm sure that there are some people out there who can answer a few questions concerning an LA badged 8x12 tom.

1) This drum does not have a tone controller, nor did it ever have one that was removed and holes filled, etc. Did the toms in this size from LA have tone controllers?
Yes, LA Camco toms were drilled for tone controls. However I had an LA kit that was custom ordered with no tone controls and Gretsch die-cast hoops. The 12" tom had standard hoops because Gretsch hoops were 5 lugs. I guess it was too much trouble to build a 5 lug 12" Camco tom!

LA Camco was basically a small custom shop as well. I've seen many oddities come out of LA including 10" toms and vertical inner plies.

antipodes

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tom,

Rims were "Made In Japan" (and you'll still see that faintly stamped in blue ink on some of them but this will often come off with the slightest cleaning). That snare you're getting is exactly the same. Any cheapo contemporary pressed steel rim (probably Chinese-made) would be a pretty close match for the ones on the LA drums. In short, generic.

The lugs usually had a round washer, then a star washer then the screw. The screws started out with rounded tops but got flatter during the 70s (like the ones in Stedi's photo - actually just noticed he's got it all laid out there).

Remo apparently made the Camco heads and the ones I've still got seem like somewhere between a Diplomat and an Ambassador.
Dunno if this is me kidding myself or if they actually did a special "middle-weight" grade of head for Camco.

The tension rods from DW are not the same (thread is different apart from anything else). The actual LA rods (same as the Oaklawn/Chanute ones) don't seem that different from some other brands of the time but the so-called "chubby washers" (see Stedi's picture) seem to have been Camco specific.

With the info from Stef and Steve above, I think that's covered most of it.

Too Many Drums - NAH!

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for your input on my inquiries. I love this forum because of all the people that participate on a daily basis. I see it time and again where someone has a question, and within 48 hours (sometimes way less) several answers from knowledgeable people are posted.

On a side note, if you haven't donated to the forum this month, I'd strongly suggest you consider it. The camaraderie, information and entertainment it gives us all is certainly worth SOMETHING, don't you think? I've donated as have many of my forum mates, but it's not too late. Donations will be taken through the month of October. Please realize that constant improvements and the up-dating of necessary equipment isn't cheap.

I'd like to publicly thank everyone who makes this forum run as smoothly as it does on a daily basis. I make it part of my daily routine and would really miss it if it wasn't the quality that it is; or not exist at all. Nobody in charge of DFO is getting rich at it - it's purely a labor of love. So, to all who make it possible, a BIG THANK YOU from me! Keep up the good work.

To my friend antipodes in Australia, thanks again for selling me the snare drum. I'll let you know when it arrives and will post photos when it's done.

Tom

stedi

Reaction score
Hi Tom,

You're most welcome and yes,... I put in my humble financial contribution last week.

The Camco community is very small and I know how hard it is sometimes to get the input you're looking for.

Without a platform like DFO and the support from its contributors, the search for info would be like the quest for the holy grail.

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
The closest replacement hoops for Camco drums currently on the market (that I know about):

For late Oaklawn through LA (what your drum would have come with):
http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2520

For the very short period in Oaklawn where they used traditionally shaped COB hoops (I've heard of these but have never actually played one):
http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5736

For early Oaklawn, when they had the "full rounded" COB hoops:
http://www.interstatemusic.com/35801-DW-TrueHoop-12-And-quot-6-Lug-2-3mm-Chrome-Tom-Hoop-DRSPCH12CR.aspx?sku=PB9271206T&source=Single+Feed_CASCIO&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=shoppingdotcom (these aren't cob, but they get the flange contour right).

stedi

Reaction score

Attachments