Can 18" bass hoop be resized to 17"

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
The old big band guys were reported to make their 26” bass drums into 22” and 20”, but beats me how to do it. Someone here should know how to steam a wood hoop to a smaller diameter. Would you butt joint it or taper/overlap?

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
Searched and someone on vdf did a straight butt joint with small dowels and got good results. Only tacking an inch of the diameter so it should not be too much strain on the hoop.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It can be done just as you've described.

What I'm curious about is the 17" size. Does the diameter actually measure 17" across? I've never seen a 17" tom. But there are lots of things that I've never seen.

GeeDeeEmm

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Searched and someone on vdf did a straight butt joint with small dowels and got good results. Only tacking an inch of the diameter so it should not be too much strain on the hoop.
That is not a very strong way to do it. A skarf joint would be a lot stronger. Of course you would have to have the skill to do it. A spline would be way better than dowels. I guess if you keep the butt joint under a claw it might hold up over time.

Last edited:

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
This person had two old 17 by 12s and bought 18 hoops and did this. One is a WFL like what I have. He said they sound warmer than he rogers after he finished them. The mahgany one I have sounds really good with its calfskin on both sides. Really boom. but set loose with one side off or dampend it sounds punchy. So good for several styles.
Here are the pics the other person had posted of his.
005.JPG
Bop kit finish 012.JPG

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think I would also add metal braces to both sides of the joint which may double as a pedal rash protector too. Either stapled or screwed on.....
And the OP drum is sweet btw..!

egw

Reaction score
I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but 18" shell stock (not hoop stock) should be exactly the size you need to work as a hoop for a 17" drum. Contact Precision and ask them for whatever height you want of 10-ply 18" shell.

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
So I got the dfd hoops, Very nice and I cut a channel very easily. Then I went with channels and joints as dowels are near impossible to drill straight without buying a dowel jig and hard to find jig in that small size of a dowel. Plus drilling straight on a rounded surface and then having joints meet perfectly square is also difficult. So joint approach gives much more strength with more surface glued and then the joint can be sanded down to match rounded circumference
This is just before gluing, I ended up putting a few wraps of duct tape around the outside of my inner form to enlarge its circumference as I had made it a few mm smaller than the hoop.

Attachments

Latest posts