can any tell me any thing about this 12" cymbal?

maxx katt

Reaction score
have no idea, it has a unique stamped indentions all over it. anyone know the mfg name cymbal name and value?

cymbal.JPG

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Zildjian Z custom series Dyno-Beat splash cymbal from mid to late 1980s.
Value could be 40 to 60 bucks (if someone wanted a splash to complete a full set of those)

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
if i recall in the 80s there were a few different indent patterns you could get. How's it sound?

Ghostin one

Reaction score
"Z Custom" series came out in 1994. Before that they were "Z" or "Z Power".

There were 12" Z splashes in the earlier series too.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
"Z Custom" series came out in 1994. Before that they were "Z" or "Z Power".

There were 12" Z splashes in the earlier series too.
Working from the model intro document Paul Francis supplied us with. Click here to download a copy of the pdf

Yes the Z line (introduced 1986*) was upgraded to Z Custom in 93/94 according to that document. The smallest cymbal in the Z line was 13" Dyna Beat hats. No 12". No splash.

The first appearance of a Z or Z Custom splash is 1995. That is the 12" one. So if that's really a 12" cymbal then it should have a laser serial number. Unless for some reason Z Custom cymbals didn't get a laser stamp? I don't know much about Z line. It is also possible that there was a splash before the Z Custom upgrade, and it was missed out in the models document. If I get good evidence that there is an omission like that I'll put things right when I get my models lists and history added to my site.

* typo fixed where I had 1996 not 1986. Fumble fingers on the keyboard.

Last edited:

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Hmm, something is amiss, I bought my 13" Z hats in 1986 or 87.

Multi-Hexagon pattern on top with big Z ink only.
Multi-star pattern on bottom, like as seen in the above photo. No ink on bottom.
Can't recall if they called them "Dyno-Beats" at that point yet, but I think they were.

Ghostin one

Reaction score
Steve, I'm sure you meant to say the Z series was introduced in 1986, not 1996.

About the pdf, not all the original Z crashes were marked "heavy" or "light". I've never seen a Z ride that wasn't marked one or the other, though.

Here's a splash I saw on line that doesn't say "custom", and I believe is a Z splash from the 1980's:

upload_2019-1-6_10-14-0.png

Attachments

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Sorry about the 1996 guys. Typo. As the pdf says, 1986 for the Z line intro. I'll amend the original post accordingly.

And yes EvEnStEvEn, the pdf has Dyno Beat hats in 13" and 14" from 1986 to 2008. You were an early adopter.

I've spotted a few things in the pdf which don't seem quite right given cymbals I've seen, but by and large it is a great source of information. Thanks to Paul Francis for sharing it with us.