Can anyone help determine when this Ludwig Snare was made?

Icwis3

Reaction score
I ended up with this drum, in its case, and I can't seem to find the date range when it was made. It is a family possession, but no one in the family can remember when it was acquired. It is as you can see, a marching snare with the original Ludwig strap. The badge in the picture is supposed to point you to the general time frame of when it was made, but none of the badges I see in the pictures have the word "Ludwig" in a blue oval. Any ideas?

kdgrissom

Reaction score
Ludwig "transition" badge. 1958 to very early 60's.
The Ludwig family which was making drums under the WFL label, bought their name back from the Conn Corporation in 1955 when Conn decided to get out of the Drum business.

Icwis3

Reaction score
Thanks. This is quite interesting. I never knew Conn made drums, I always think of them as making primarily trumpets, trombones and saxophones. I toured the Elkhart, Indiana plant on a field trip in High School. Anyway, this to me is a cool old drum. It has a leg rest that folds up when not in use. The drum head seems to have been replaced, but the snare head seems original. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Conn owned the Ludwig name and Leedy name both and until they combined there names in the late 40s both brands of drums came out of the same factory for most of the 1930s and 1940s in Elkhart Indiana.

Icwis3

Reaction score
I toured the factory in either 1967 or 1968...early high school. I don't remember much about the tour except that there were men who looked like body builder football players polishing some of the components on high speed buffers. The guide said that it required exceptionally strong people to hold the parts while they were being buffed.
Thanks again you guys. Now I have to decide what to do with a 60 year old marching drum.

Latest posts