Can anyone help me date this Zildjian splash?

drummers_need_coffee.exe

Reaction score
Can anyone give me an estimate on the year and value of this vintage 10” splash? You can see the depression from the stamping on the other side. Any guesses? I’m going to do some research myself but figured I’d see if there were any experts on here (which I am not).

Attachments

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Looks 1950's to me. Value is hard to say, as the market has a lot of outliers these days. I would never place a bet on the outcome of a cymbal auction. If it was mine to sell, I'd start the listing at $179 and then gradually lower the price until somebody bites.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
The trademark stamp matches this 60s one:

The lathing style fits 60s. The visible hammering style (which in this case is not much visible hammering) fits 60s. The model ink stamp fits 60s. The treatment of the area around the mounting hole fits 60s.

Historical prices are indicated on my site which Joe linked to. That doesn't tell you exactly what yours will fetch but it gives some context. What you get is what you get on the day.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The 60's through 80's run around $40-$50 in this size. The weight and sound is more important. 200-275 gms gives a pretty sweet sound. In mint shape they'll cost up to $20 more.

If it's light, airy and has a sweet splash sound those bring a premium to the tinny clunkers. I bought a 1930's Zildjian 1st stamp in this size and paid $67 delivered. I've paid as little as $30 for a regular "A" splash in good condition. Check them close for bell hole spider cracks or bell base cracks. They can slip in there on you.

Last edited:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Having the "SPLASH" lettering was nice too. You don't see it very often on 60's and earlier.

Latest posts