Can anyone identify Mark Craney's Ludwig kit?

fratzog lover

Reaction score
Really been getting into his limited presence on YouTube with Jethro Tull and Gino Vanelli etc. Looks like a late 70's Octoplus kit. Anyone have any idea on sizes? I know there a few members here who knew him. I'm trying to get back into it after 25 years now that my stepson is storing his kit in the basement. Thanks!

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
I didn't watch for long but I'm seeing the "Set-Up" era overly-lugged power toms. Looks like maybe 9x6,9x8,9x10 clustered with a pair of timbales over the hi-hat. Likely a 12/13 combo over the BDs, whatever floor toms etc.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was thinking 8,10 12, maybe a 13, in power tom configurations, plus 2 or 3 on the floor.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not sure about the drum ... but ...
I believe that was that tour (80) that someone stole the clear violin before they took the stage at a show at the Sam Houston Coliseum in Houston. They came out and said they wouldn’t perform until it was returned.
I assume someone found it because they came out and did the show with the clear violin.
It was an odd show evidently. My sister attended and relayed the story. I've never been a huge Tull fan, so I passed on accompanying her.
Not a drum story, but somewhat relevant and just a skosh interesting.

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I could be wrong but did I read somewhere that Craney set up his drums lefty but wasn't actually left handed?

spelman

Reaction score
Really been getting into his limited presence on YouTube with Jethro Tull and Gino Vanelli etc. Looks like a late 70's Octoplus kit. Anyone have any idea on sizes? I know there a few members here who knew him. I'm trying to get back into it after 25 years now that my stepson is storing his kit in the basement. Thanks!

This is from the Modern Drummer interview in 1983 (It's for his Gretsch kit but it looks like he preferred these sizes for all his kits, including his Sonor Signatures. Note the different bass drum sizes.)

He particularly likes their thin shells, and primarily uses 22″ and 24″ bass drums and the power toms in sizes of 8″, 10″, 12″ and 13″. He uses three floor toms ” for the sake of staying limber,” he jokes, which are 14″, 16″ and 18″. He usually uses a 6 1/2″ brass snare and a set of timbales off to his right.

Link: https://www.moderndrummer.com/article/june-1983-mark-craney-pursuing-art/

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

I always loved this version of Aqualung. It's the most energetic version I've heard. Rapid-fire double bass licks, man what a performance. This was all over MTV in its early years and I always watched it.
Those kicks look smaller, like a 20" and 22" perhaps?

Dan

lawsater

Reaction score
Mark , was a diabetic from a early age so his dad bought him a drum kit so he could keep active at home , but his dad set it up left handed. Mark was right handed and learned on the kit as a left handed kit and never changed it, he was such a great player

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
Mark , was a diabetic from a early age so his dad bought him a drum kit so he could keep active at home , but his dad set it up left handed. Mark was right handed and learned on the kit as a left handed kit and never changed it, he was such a great player
I'd go so far as to say he was one the greatest drummers I've heard recorded. Unbelievable. A huge loss.

fratzog lover

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I really just discovered him a few months ago and cant believe how little info there is about him on the web. That 1980 version of Aqualung recorded in Los Angeles is awesome. The drum setup my vision of the "perfect" setup. I know he used 2002 crashes. The drumming on the guitar solo makes my hair stand on end. Watching it inspired me to get back into drumming last month after 26 years. A few weeks of pounding, and man is my muscle memory completely gone. Hip arthritis is definitely no ones friend.

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
That band on the A album and tour was awesome. Craney, Jobson, Pegg, and Barre. Pretty formidable.

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wish I knew more about Marks's kit, but it is nice seeing his legacy kept alive on DFO !!! For the unfamiliar with Mark, there are some great threads about him here using the search function.
I saw him perform live first with the Mark Alman band/ Jean Luc Ponty at a rescheduled show in Englewood NJ, then at NYC's Madison Square Garden with Jethro Tull on the A tour. {Cool, because I had seen Eddie J on keys and violin on Frank Zappa"s Zoot Allures tour @ the theater at MSG the year or two before....eak !!!!
Again, really sad the pain / hallucinations he went though, his last years with anti organ transplant rejection drugs before passing.
I got hip to Gino Vanelli's "Brother to Brother" album, while living / touring, at the Jersey Shore with the Colony band. Guest drummers from Yasgur's Farm and Friends Band, 70's NJ Shore band staples, "crashed" at our shore band house and spent many after gig breakfasts.. sharing music inspiration. Mark was shared as one of the greats to my young 19 y.o. arse !!
This video, common from the era, have sync issues, but there are some brief close ups of his G. V. tourkit toms.....

Last edited:

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is from the Modern Drummer interview in 1983 (It's for his Gretsch kit but it looks like he preferred these sizes for all his kits, including his Sonor Signatures. Note the different bass drum sizes.)

He particularly likes their thin shells, and primarily uses 22″ and 24″ bass drums and the power toms in sizes of 8″, 10″, 12″ and 13″. He uses three floor toms ” for the sake of staying limber,” he jokes, which are 14″, 16″ and 18″. He usually uses a 6 1/2″ brass snare and a set of timbales off to his right.

Link: https://www.moderndrummer.com/article/june-1983-mark-craney-pursuing-art/

View attachment 394819
View attachment 394820
View attachment 394821
Some killer kits!!!

Latest posts