Can Hi Hats be Altered to Become Thinner/Lighter?

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a set of 15" Istanbul Agop 30th Anniversary hi hats that are a bit too much for what I'm playing. Right now they weigh around 1000/1200 (approx). I'd like to get them thinner/lighter/lower pitched a bit. I was thinking something close to 900/1000 would get me in the ballpark of what I'm looking for.

Is this possible? Or should I sell the hats and move on?

If it is possible, where might I get the work down to make these thinner?

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sell and get another set IMHO. Likely not cost effective to have someone lathe them.

Lighten them by drilling holes in the bottom cymbal, like a Quick Beat setup.

If you do not modify them right, you then have useless brass - costly.

Last edited:

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They are worth more unmodified. IMHO, sell them and buy the weight you want. If you must Maxwell’s in Chicago and others can lathe away the weight for the cost of labor and shipping to and from. You will obviously not be able to use your hats for awhile too.

johnjssmith

Reaction score
The only way would be to (have someone) lathe them, but unless you're sure that you'll get the sound you expect after you've had them lathed, you're sure whoever will lathe them is experienced with cymbals etc., or money is no object for you, I would much rather flip them and get a different pair - you're likely going to be able to afford any (possibly used) pair of hats with the money you can get from selling your current ones.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, they can be lathed down (severl pros in the States can offer his service) but I agree with the others... sell these off and replace with a set you can hear first. What if you spend the time and money to modifey only to find you do not really like the sound afterwards. Better, (or at least simpler) to flip these for pair that you can play and confirm that they fit your needs and prefernce before you buy them. Good luck.

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a set of 15" Istanbul Agop 30th Anniversary hi hats that are a bit too much for what I'm playing. Right now they weigh around 1000/1200 (approx). I'd like to get them thinner/lighter/lower pitched a bit. I was thinking something close to 900/1000 would get me in the ballpark of what I'm looking for.

If you REALLY want to look into having them modified...www.nickymoon.com.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Okay, thank you everybody. Unfortunately, Istanbul Agop does not make the 30th Anniversary as light as I want them to be. (Not for a 15" or 16" at least.) So, I'd have to go with a completely different brand.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Maxwell Drums is offering cymbal lathing. Check their website HERE

I have a "medium" AA Sabian Ride that weighs in on the heavy side and was thinking about using this service.

-Mark

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Okay, thank you everybody. Unfortunately, Istanbul Agop does not make the 30th Anniversary as light as I want them to be. (Not for a 15" or 16" at least.) So, I'd have to go with a completely different brand.
Maybe you could look into the Signature line then... I have a very thin set of 15's and adore them. A similar sound through not exact to their 30th Anv. cousins.

dustjacket

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It would be nice if Maxwell Drums listed the cost to thin out hats...

REF

Reaction score
Dude, Matt Bettis just offered to re-lathe your cymbals very reasonably. Doooooo it. 99 + 99/100% response you will be delighted.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

I would definitely NOT relathe 30th Anniv Agops. 70's new Beats yes. Sell them and get something you like. The only thing close to that will be old K's. "Maybe" the signatures. Grams weights can be decieving in my experience. It can depend on where the cymbal has the most meat, size of the bell, taper. So many things. Bettis knows this of course. I'll add, in my experience, that if you go too light on the hats you can run the risk of losing chick sound. But that's just my opinion. I had Sabian relathe some 15" Artisan hats a few years ago. They came out great, but between shipping and their price I don't know if I'd do it again.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Matt Bettis will do it for $50? That's a steal - and the way to go for you. Matt is a talented and experienced cymbalsmith, and your hats will be in good hands.

Istanbul cymbals are not holy artifacts - great, fantastic cymbals to be sure, but they've made a million of them and they're making more still. If I had a cymbal that I wasn't happy with and it was anything short of a highly-valued, most-coveted, one-off cymbal worth a ton of money, I'd send it to Matt in a heartbeat.

I'll bet that he can lathe all the weight off the bottom, too, if you are picky about stamps and logos.

Just my two cents - and worth what it cost 'ya! ;) ;) ;)

GeeDeeEmm

skelt101

Reaction score
Topsy Turvy,
I have a set of Istanbul Agop 15"Matt Chamberlain Signature Hi Hats, if you're interested. The weights are 964 and 1028. Here's the MyCymbal.com video:

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey, has anyone heard from Matt Bettis lately? We had spoken (messaged) about me sending my hi hats to him at the beginning of June, but he has not responded to my last few messages. Anyone have any ideas? Or should I try to go with someone else?