Can I do Better than Pearl Professional DLX?

markshells

Reaction score
I recently got hold of a nice Pearl DLX kit, I am curious if this is about as good as it gets , or is there something even better? My wife and kids are betting I try to move up, but this is without a doubt the prettiest set I have seen yet.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
DLX players swear by them. They were not the highest end Pearls made at the time (GLX & MLX). The DX/DLX had that naturally eq'd sound that was very popular at the time. I thought the finishes were great as well.

ThomFloor

Reaction score
Great kits, no need to move up. Post a pic, give us a look please.

AustinFitz

Reaction score
I agree with the above. Pearl made some fantastic drums throughout the '80s! I play a 1980 Pearl G-Series Maple kit in Walnut lacquer that I'm completely satisfied with. I'm in love with the finish, and they're the best sounding drums I've ever played, so I haven't had any urge at all to try and "move up". If you love the look, and you love the sound, then play them!

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
. . . I am curious if this is about as good as it gets , or is there something even better? . . . .
"Better" lies totally in the ears of the individual player when it comes to sound quality. If you are looking for "better" in terms of wood quality, hardware, veneers, yadda, yadda, then, yes, there are "better" drums. After some real time behind your DLX kit, you will be better equipped to answer your own question. It will be interesting to hear your prospective on the matter in one or two years from now.

In the meantime, your DLX kit, because of the birch shells, will allow you great latitude in exploring the kit's potential. Birch kits (of good quality birch, that is) are very sensitive to head types. (I learned this with my Yamaha Recording Custom kit.) With a simple change of heads, one can go from a nice, mellow "warm" sound to a sharp, cutting "in your face" presentation. So you have a lot of fun in store if you manage to pick up some head variations. Everything from clear 1 & 2 ply heads to coated single and double ply heads, to heads with damping rings (clear and coated), will make you think you've changed drumsets rather than simple heads.

Please keep us updated on your progress with the DLX. This should be a fun udertaking! How about some pictures of the kit in its current configuration?

GeeDeeEmm

Trilock_Gurtu

Reaction score
My second kit was a new Pearl BLX, for Christmas. I recall it was heavy, well built, and sounded pretty good. First recording I ever did was with that set.

Attachments

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My second kit was a new Pearl BLX, for Christmas. I recall it was heavy, well built, and sounded pretty good. First recording I ever did was with that set.
I had a BLX in possession a few years ago & they're pretty impressive drums. The first time I took them out on a gig the guitarist, who's one of the top luthiers around here, said the drums were "hi-fi". I thought that was remarkable as he usually pays less attention to drums than stringed instruments.

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg I've had (and just recently sold) my white pearl DX kit which has been my one and only kit since 1994 when I bought it used while touring with a traveling circus! It was then a 7 piece but gradually I just used a standard sized set up, it was ok as a kit but I always wanted to try something different but could never really afford it. Until last summer when my partner payed for a near mint 1990s premier genista kit, which just blows me away and feel like couldn't want more now, it is that perfect. It just sounds beautifull. A drummer pal heard me play outdoors in a police tribute band with the pearl DX kit and he said it sounded boxy??!! And recommended a 90s genista kit so I now have one.
Sorry I've no pics of the pearl kit.