Can I use paint stripper?

Reaction score
Hi, I was really wondering if I could use paint striper on the excess parts surrounding my drum shell? Because I've unfortunately been quite scruffy with my paint job, the bits that hold the drum legs and stuff have paint on them, and well it's a very metallic finish, I'm worried as to whether the paint stripper would strip a finer layer of metal from a metal underneath potentially? I'm just pretty clueless in general, so any help would be amazing.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think the best thing to do simply check whatever stripper you want to use. The citrus types seem less corrosive. But do they work as well? Some are considered environmentally safe. I would lean in that direction.

Do some googling. You may come up with something simpler and safer.

mewing

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you strip the chrome parts without removing them, you will also strip off any nearby paint on the shells. Take the parts off, and use automotive lacquer thinner (not "paint thinner" that is 100% mineral spirits from the hardware store). Have ventilation in the area where you are working.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, if you can remove the remaining hardware, you can use rubbing alcohol, paint thinner, or nail polish remover, depending on how much paint there is. Try a soft sponge and hot water or Windex/window cleaner to clean chrome, too. Citrus strip will work, too. Put a dab on a Q-tip or on the chrome, and you can also use a toothpick - a little will go a long way. My concern moving the hardware now is that you will peel the paint off the shell. May need to use a razor blade to cut around the base of the hardware.

In the future, it's much easier to remove hardware before painting. You'll get a better looking, cleaner paint job. What could you not remove before?

Reaction score
If you strip the chrome parts without removing them, you will also strip off any nearby paint on the shells. Take the parts off, and use automotive lacquer thinner (not "paint thinner" that is 100% mineral spirits from the hardware store). Have ventilation in the area where you are working.
Thank you dude x

Reaction score
Well, if you can remove the remaining hardware, you can use rubbing alcohol, paint thinner, or nail polish remover, depending on how much paint there is. Try a soft sponge and hot water or Windex/window cleaner to clean chrome, too. Citrus strip will work, too. Put a dab on a Q-tip or on the chrome, and you can also use a toothpick - a little will go a long way. My concern moving the hardware now is that you will peel the paint off the shell. May need to use a razor blade to cut around the base of the hardware.

In the future, it's much easier to remove hardware before painting. You'll get a better looking, cleaner paint job. What could you not remove before?
Honestly I was just a but of a dippy, and I didn't look on the inside of the drum shells. I can re spray because the drums are significantly battered as it is rn anyway. But really and truly thank you for you're advice. Do you know if you can re shell bass toms very easily? Because mine is totally destroyed.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re-shell? Like veneer? Or just fix and patch? Depending on your skill level and budget, you can do one or the other. Need pics...