Can old gretschs be tuned low?

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Issues like the ones mentioned here are reasons I’ve never considered owning Gretsch.

That , and I’ve never played a Gretsch kit that sounded worth a darn .
And the owner of one of the kits let me tune it anyway I wanted as he had just been to my house and heard my kits , he offered to pay me to tune his …

I just could not get them sounding right , they were not too old USA customs .
I’ve never owned Gretsch’s because they seem rarer and were far more expensive used 15-20 years ago compared to Ludwigs and Slingerlands. The few sets I’ve heard others people play in person have sounded great but they always seemed to belong to guys that like high pitched drums.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Been working late all week so no time til today to actually play drums. Got the 13” tom back together. Got a straight used gretsch die cast rim to replace the warped one and after relieving the veneer to allow a modern head to seat freely, the answer to the question is…. Kind of. Its now capable of being tuned low but it doesn’t really shine until medium tension.

I also put together the 15” snare/tom (which has a more standard bearing edge than the 13”s round in) together temporarily and threw it on a snare stand until I can get some legs for it. It sounds good and will tune reasonably low but again it doesn’t really project well without a bit higher tuning than the same era ludwigs and rogers. From behind the kit they also feel fairly quiet which I’m attributing to the die cast hoops.

They make a good match with the Slingerland artist snare which is also on the quiet side so assuming the bass drum sounds good if I ever get a chance to finish painting it and putting it back together it should make a nice little kit

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'll sell you these for $750 aw heck make it $725 ; )

I got these ones free and I’m still shocked how much I’m spending getting them up and running without worrying about making them “correct” or pretty.

I think if I was to pick up old gretsch’s I would be looking for 14 or 15”/18”/24” to have them tuned happily and still sit below a band where I prefer

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Got the orphan kit all together, sounds good. Just have to decide whether a 60’s 14” A or an 18” Ludwig Paiste will make a more versatile crash for the recipient and they’re ready to go
0CDA9925-9FD9-43F5-9F6A-7F5A086DB80F.jpeg

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say they're "official" let's see that green up Closer you may have "hatched" an old Birdland set there ; )

Thought you said it was a "mini" set..

oh heres a Birdland

Last edited:

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
well That's better Looking than It was said to be.. LLOLOL!
Theres a reason the picture was taken at a bit of a distance. They’re less cadillac green and more rustoleum #4 heating oil fill port green. They sound great though. The little royce cymbal arm with the splash is hiding a mangled badge hole that saw some pretty extreme violence at one point.

I did strip the ludwig shell completely to repair the veneer but the gretschs were in relatively better shape so they were just scuff sanded and sprayed. If I knew in advance how much sanding of the tom’s veneer would be necessary to seat a head, I would have gone ahead with a complete stripping of the shell but they’ll do

Last edited:

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
J
I'd say they're "official" let's see that green up Closer you may have "hatched" an old Birdland set there ; )

Thought you said it was a "mini" set..

oh heres a Birdland
Just a mini floor tom (15x12 marching snare). Bass drum is 22x14 tom is 13x9. I’m going to let my brother in law choose between a ludwig rocker, slingerland artist, or the tama in the picture but oddly the tama seems to work the best with them to me

Reactions: JDA