Can we talk about endorsements?

czarthedrummer

Reaction score
Hello DF,

To anyone with endorsement experience, how do you go about getting endorsed? And should you shoot for smaller companies when you're first trying to get endorsed?

I play for the University of Houston's Basketball Band and I think it would be a good opportunity for a company to endorse and a good way to promote the music program around school. Our schools drumline is endorsed by Innovative, Zildjian, Tama, and Evans, so by affiliation, I'm confident any company would endorse and it would be a good move in general for me as a player and for the band program.

Let me know what you think would be a good way to get my foot in the door.

Also if you have no endorsement experience, which companies would you start trying to get endorsements from.

organicdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I seem to recall that Russ Miller had an article about endorsements in a recent Modern Drummer. Might want to check that out.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You might need to clear it with the university before you just start getting endorsements and become a piece of "advertising" for companies that may be a conflict of interest to their own sponsors. Just sayin.

czarthedrummer

Reaction score
Tommy D said:
You might need to clear it with the university before you just start getting endorsements and become a piece of "advertising" for companies that may be a conflict of interest to their own sponsors. Just sayin.
You're right. I will contact my director and see if I do need permission.

TomR

Reaction score
I recommend reading Bermuda's endorsement FAQ: www.bermudaschwartz.com/endorsement/
Also, see the third question.

atomicmorganic

DFO Master
Reaction score
It is the player endorsing the gear, not the manufacturer endorsing the artist.

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
The player is the endorsee, and the manufacturer is the endorser. Said differently, the player who uses the gear is endorsed by the manufacturer.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
W&A Player said:
The player is the endorsee, and the manufacturer is the endorser. Said differently, the player who uses the gear is endorsed by the manufacturer.
The player endorses the product. He is the endorser, the product is the endorsee.
That definition has been very muddled nowadays.

TomR

Reaction score
W&A Player said:
It's the opposite.

mpthomson

Reaction score
CesarAguirre said:
Hello DF,

To anyone with endorsement experience, how do you go about getting endorsed? And should you shoot for smaller companies when you're first trying to get endorsed?

I play for the University of Houston's Basketball Band and I think it would be a good opportunity for a company to endorse and a good way to promote the music program around school. Our schools drumline is endorsed by Innovative, Zildjian, Tama, and Evans, so by affiliation, I'm confident any company would endorse and it would be a good move in general for me as a player and for the band program.

Let me know what you think would be a good way to get my foot in the door.

Also if you have no endorsement experience, which companies would you start trying to get endorsements from.
Really it's going to be about what's in it for the company, especially a large drum company. They'll be less interested in what's in it for the band/school, unless they have a strong corporate educational development kind of programme, and even less interested in how good it would be for you as a player.

Does the Basketball band do a lot of public performances in front of large numbers of people (it's not a concept that exists in the UK, so I genuinely don't know, same comment goes for drumlines)? Is it going to influence people to play whatever manufacturer's products? What level of profile does the band have outside the institution? Those are the kind of questions that a potential endorsing company will be asking.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I also think a lot of companies really would prefer to have someone that actually uses their products and likes them. I endorse Rich sticks as I tried them, used them for a bit, got to know the company more and now I love the sticks and am very happy with what they make. I would never use something I was not comfortable with just to put my name or bands name out there.

I have also been playing Ludwig drums for over 30 years old and new and they are my drums of choice. I am not a Ludwig endorser but even if another company came along I would decline because Ludwigs are what I play and what I want to play. Weather they know it or not I am a family member! Lol.... Good luck!

czarthedrummer

Reaction score
wflkurt said:
I also think a lot of companies really would prefer to have someone that actually uses their products and likes them. I endorse Rich sticks as I tried them, used them for a bit, got to know the company more and now I love the sticks and am very happy with what they make. I would never use something I was not comfortable with just to put my name or bands name out there.

I have also been playing Ludwig drums for over 30 years old and new and they are my drums of choice. I am not a Ludwig endorser but even if another company came along I would decline because Ludwigs are what I play and what I want to play. Weather they know it or not I am a family member! Lol.... Good luck!
How did you go about contacting the company? I actually have been using Vater drumsticks for 4 years and I haven't used anything else since. So they would be someone I would contact.

czarthedrummer

Reaction score
atomicmorganic said:
It is the player endorsing the gear, not the manufacturer endorsing the artist.
Yes this is correct. It can be confused with sponsorship, Thats when the company with fund you as an artist.

Rich Sticks LLC

Reaction score
Hey Cesar,

There is no company that endorses any band, drummer, drumline or ensemble. The band, drummer, drumline or ensemble endorses the brand or products. Most get it backward so I just wanted to put that correction out there.

Endorsements should not be about what helps the brand, no matter how great your drumline is. Endorsements should be about what you caption head / director loves the most for a brand and their choice to play it exclusively for the right reasons. If the brand produces a great product and offers a great service, the drumline should endorse it with or without a contract.

Too many drummers are hitting up small companies because they think they are desperate to get recognized and are willing to let anyone endorse the product just because they think the brand name will get out there. Too many drummers are seeking endorsements because they just want a good deal. This is NOT what endorsements are about.

Play what you love, endorse what you love...even if that means paying full price.

Endorsements are a mutually beneficial agreement where both parties should benefit.