Can wrap color tones be different on the same type of wrap?

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah I haven't heard a note from you yet. All I hear is your daily Top of the List new posts about your travails... That's OK... I haven't heard a Note you play however. Not 1.
I've been on the forum for a couple of years and have never posted any files of me playing. And from what I see, about 95% of everyone here has not either. And me personally, I don't care to hear how anyone plays. I'll gladly hear it if they post but rest assured I won't judge them neither for their playing or their choice of what they buy. I'm happy for you that you have a small kit. Maybe you didn't know but my last 3 kits have been of the same size. Last time I had a small 4 piece was my first kit that I ever had as a kid. And by the way, this is the only post I've created outside of my "I bought classic maples" thread that is related to my new kit. All I did was ask one question here about the difference in wrap coloring and you were the first to answer it and your answer was more than acceptable.

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Do we have another Drummer1990 situation here? Or are you guys just messing with each other?
Hey, I just asked one simple question. Apparently not everyone likes to give a simple answer.

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
As others have mentioned above, Oyster Black is a wrap that really varies from batch to batch. It even varies within a single batch. Heck, in Rob Cook's Ludwig book there is a picture of an oyster black drum where the two ends of the same sheet of oyster black on a floor tom don't really match. It's just the nature of the stuff. Vintage examples are all over the place too. That does look a pretty close approximation to the original stuff though...which is nice.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
As others have mentioned above, Oyster Black is a wrap that really varies from batch to batch. It even varies within a single batch. Heck, in Rob Cook's Ludwig book there is a picture of an oyster black drum where the two ends of the same sheet of oyster black on a floor tom don't really match. It's just the nature of the stuff. Vintage examples are all over the place too. That does look a pretty close approximation to the original stuff though...which is nice.
Cool! Thanks

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well if you ask me... the phrase shoulda quit while you were (4pc) ahead springs to mind number 2) who needs that many drums for a house/practice kit/ number 3) Don't answer that/..

Then don't ask it you 4 piece kit snob! ;) I say buy 7 more additions to the kit and then you will be ready to conquer the world Irod!:icon_e_biggrin: And it's OK, he would hate 50% of my kits as well... two are 4 piece and the other two most certainly are not!

But seriously, I agree with the guys 100%... oysters and pearls actually have quite a bit of variations in them. And then on top of that fact, they could have switched lot numbers in the covering run during that month and it would have had added to the possibility of even more variations. But I think they clearly look like the same finish, just slightly different details. They look awesome together regardless!

Joe, is that apple illustration an actual Lao Tzu quote? That is really good, I am going to borrow that as well.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Then don't ask it you 4 piece kit snob! ;) I say buy 7 more additions to the kit and then you will be ready to conquer the world Irod!:icon_e_biggrin: And it's OK, he would hate 50% of my kits as well... two are 4 piece and the other two most certainly are not!

But seriously, I agree with the guys 100%... oysters and pearls actually have quite a bit of variations in them. And then on top of that fact, they could have switched lot numbers in the covering run during that month and it would have had added to the possibility of even more variations. But I think they clearly look like the same finish, just slightly different details. They look awesome together regardless!

Joe, is that apple illustration an actual Lao Tzu quote? That is really good, I am going to borrow that as well.
Thanks! I too feel they look great. I also figured that the wraps were a different run as you said. Definitely the same wrap with a tad different texture. The first 4 pieces that I bought in "mod" configuration are definitely identical and that was expected since they were probably built together. Either way, I'm happy!

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yep, it's going to be an amazing set all together, I'm really happy for you! I don't own any Ludwig drums but you guys make it really hard to avoid a bad case of G.A.S. when I see all these wonderful photos you Luddy guys are always posting!

hsosdrum

Reaction score
They certainly look close enough to me that I wouldn't sweat the minor differences. As others have said, OBP can have tremendous variations within batches.

As a practical solution, I would look the two floor toms over all the way around, find the panels that match the most closely and face those panels towards the audience when you set up. (Or since you've said this is an at-home kit, face those best-matching panels so you can see them both while you're playing!)

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I won't answer, Lol! I'll just say one thing: To each it's own! Trust me, it's fun to own and play something that big.
LOL I'm a big kit guy, have always been but at my age (75) and small stages my gigs spell, S M A L L, I can't hardly wait till I get my practice set, set up at home it will be 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16 w/ 22" bass and my one and only snare; Supra. The 18 has been converted to bass for tiny stages.

Enjoy your BIG kit man.

sherm

BTW: My kit is a late 80's run of Cherry Stain finish, many years later I purchased the 12" tom and it is darker than the other drums. NOTE: My pictures talking about double tom mounts. I hatted it at first but got over it. And it depend on lighting also.

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
LOL I'm a big kit guy, have always been but at my age (75) and small stages my gigs spell, S M A L L, I can't hardly wait till I get my practice set, set up at home it will be 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16 w/ 22" bass and my one and only snare; Supra. The 18 has been converted to bass for tiny stages.

Enjoy your BIG kit man.

sherm

BTW: My kit is a late 80's run of Cherry Stain finish, many years later I purchased the 12" tom and it is darker than the other drums. NOTE: My pictures talking about double tom mounts. I hatted it at first but got over it. And it depend on lighting also.
Awesome! I think it will be fine. Looks great to me.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
They certainly look close enough to me that I wouldn't sweat the minor differences. As others have said, OBP can have tremendous variations within batches.

As a practical solution, I would look the two floor toms over all the way around, find the panels that match the most closely and face those panels towards the audience when you set up. (Or since you've said this is an at-home kit, face those best-matching panels so you can see them both while you're playing!)
I just did that. One side is identical. But either way, it doesn't bother me. I just want to see it all set up, Lol!

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm pretty picky on color but the oyster wrap seems to match in color just less black in one of them. I'd be able to live with it.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm pretty picky on color but the oyster wrap seems to match in color just less black in one of them. I'd be able to live with it.
First time I own wrapped drums so I didn't know if that was normal. I'm totally fine with it!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Ok then, I accept! I just thought that only applied to laquering but I guess I was wrong.
It's probably the opposite. With a Wood Finish- say from Gretsch USA- you have a person there- applying the finish- waiting for it to match. By eyeball.
Wrapped drums it's what ever comes off the roll that day week or month.
Hand applied lacquer is the surer bet and why they ask to return a lacquer drum so they can match when ordering an add on.

So maybe it's "to be expected" with wraps. I still don't like it - what happened to ya. But then again at my stage of drumming life I wouldn't have ordered wrapped drums. I'd look into a refund but probably not possible

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think it's the opposite. With a Wood Finish- say from Gretsch USA- you have a person there- applying the finish- waiting for it to match. By eyeball.
Wrapped drums it's what ever comes off the roll that day week or month.
Hand applied lacquer is the surer bet and why they ask to return a lacquer drum so they can match when ordering an add on.

So maybe it's "to be expected" with wraps. I still don't like it - what happened to ya. But then again at my stage of drumming life I wouldn't have ordered wrapped drums. I'd look into returning it but probably not possible
I was looking at everything in detail tonight and they look fine. Very very miniscule differences that aren't very noticeable unless you are looking at every minor detail like I was! So I'm good! I like lacquered finishes but I really liked the Vintage black oyster so it had to be wrapped. And about returning, it would be very possible. I bought that 14 floor tom from Sweetwater. But like I said, it's fine, I'd return it and run the same risk since like you said "it's to be expected".

Last edited:
Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Did the two other (?) add on s match perfectly? (what was it 13 and an 8?) that was luck..

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's probably the opposite. With a Wood Finish- say from Gretsch USA- you have a person there- applying the finish- waiting for it to match. By eyeball.
Funny you mentioned Gretsch. When I was looking at the Renown's I was browsing at the USA custom line and I ran into this which I had never seen. And this is right off of the Gretsch USA custom webpage for Lacquered finishes. I guess Lacquered does suffer as well:
Screenshot 2020-05-30 at 2.32.41 AM.png

Here is the webpage if you want to see it. It's towards the bottom where the color choices are:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Did the two other (?) add on s match perfectly? (what was it 13 and an 8?) that was luck..
The 8 add on is identical to the 4 pc. kit, I'm still waiting for the 13, still a few weeks away since it's being built. But seriously, the difference on the 14 is so minor that it's really not noticeable. Since I looked at it under a microscope as soon as I unboxed it, I asked the question because of the minor tone change. I just wanted to know, that's all!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Funny you mentioned Gretsch. When I was looking at the Renown's I was browsing at the USA custom line and I ran into this which I had never seen. And this is right off of the Gretsch USA custom webpage for Lacquered finishes. I guess Lacquered does suffer as well:
View attachment 444384
Here is the webpage if you want to see it. It's towards the bottom where the color choices are:
from the older paper pages of the 93 and 97 Price catalogs .

Gretsch93Cat 001.JPG

Gretsch93Cat 001.JPG Gretsch93Cat 002.JPG Gretsch93Cat 005.JPG Gretsch93Cat 004.JPG

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Funny. I used to think that only applied to the wood finish Gretsch. But now rereading it, it may have have applied to the wrap ones also.

Latest posts