Can you help me find a wing screw for my stand?

gaebrel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hello drum community, I recently purchased a used set of timbales from GC. When they arrived, I noticed the stand was a few wing screws short, but I thought, “no problem. They look a lot like the screws from my lp bongo and conga stand, so I’ll just order them through the net”. Couldn’t find them anywhere. I tried two drum shops and they couldn’t get that specific single wing screw for me. So I finally contacted DW (the new LP owners), and they don’t sell them individually. Then I remembered, “these wing screws are the same size as some DW and Pearl stands that I have!”. So I removed them to try them, and they fit, but they stop after a certain point and don’t allow you to twist and tighten them any further. My last resort was Gibraltar, makers of all that needs to hold or be adjusted. Ordered the wing screws, and they were the same result as the DW and Pearls.

I'm one of those guys that doesn’t want to find that part at the hardware store, because 1)it’s not an official hardware/drum/stand part and 2), I refuse to believe that this wing screw that’s on nearly all of LPs stuff, cannot be ordered individually!

Does anyone here have an LP hookup, connection to someone who knows something, or a few of these lying around at home? I need 2, but if given the opportunity to order them, I’d probably get 3. They’re 8mm in size, and I’d prefer to get the exact part, but would accept any drum manufacturers part that would fit at this point. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Man those LP wing screws on those timbale stands are finicky. They are 8 mm but not the same threading as a standard Gibraltar 8MM wing screws. They get stuck. In fact none of the major manufacturer's 8mm screws work with it. I tried Yamaha, Tama , DW. Has to be LP . Or maybe Toca but I have not tried that. I will keep my eyes open.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm one of those guys that doesn’t want to find that part at the hardware store, because 1)it’s not an official hardware/drum/stand part and 2), I refuse to believe that this wing screw that’s on nearly all of LPs stuff, cannot be ordered individually!
I suggest you become one of "those guys" - head over to Ace True Value - they have a bunch of knobs/wing nuts that will probably work. Neither H.D. or Lowes has them, in my experience, and OSH used to (but they are out of biz).........

If not, and you are sure it is 8mm, I quickly googled "8mm wing nut bolts" and found:

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The problem is that they are NOT, I repeat NOT 8mm wing nuts. I refurbished some LP congas a few years ago and discovered that LP uses SAE thread wing nuts. I'm pretty sure they are 5/16"-18 thread but it's been too long to be absolutely certain. As others have said, take it to an Ace Hardware or other hardware store. Or check Reverb or eBay. They are available on both of those sites.

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
There are two things to consider. The size of the bolt and the pitch of the thread. There are fine and coarse threads in both metric and standard. If you have the right bolt but the wrong thread it will usually go in a thread or two before it binds up. My guess is you need the fine thread version of whatever size it takes. They are out there but a bit harder to find.

Fibes

Reaction score
The problem is that they are NOT, I repeat NOT 8mm wing nuts. I refurbished some LP congas a few years ago and discovered that LP uses SAE thread wing nuts. I'm pretty sure they are 5/16"-18 thread but it's been too long to be absolutely certain. As others have said, take it to an Ace Hardware or other hardware store. Or check Reverb or eBay. They are available on both of those sites.

I have both male and female measuring kits for every. single. size in both SAE and metric. The size that is the most difficult to discern with 100% certainty is 8mm. Geardaddy is exactly correct - there is an SAE thread that is super close to 8mm. iirc, one will thread into the other fine, (though it will strip when you try to apply torque onto it) and the reverse will only go in about a turn and a quarter before it binds up. IF you try to push past that point the threads are toast. Some of those 5/16" are 24 count thread also.

loach71

Reaction score
I have both male and female measuring kits for every. single. size in both SAE and metric. The size that is the most difficult to discern with 100% certainty is 8mm. Geardaddy is exactly correct - there is an SAE thread that is super close to 8mm. iirc, one will thread into the other fine, (though it will strip when you try to apply torque onto it) and the reverse will only go in about a turn and a quarter before it binds up. IF you try to push past that point the threads are toast. Some of those 5/16" are 24 count thread also.
go to the McMaster-Carr website for fasteners.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Nuts & Bolts Dilemma of all Drummers. Do yourself a favor, go buy Metric and SAE Tap & Die Sets and not only learn the sizes and threads but how to tap tension rod lug inserts, retap stripped stand nuts, rethread tension rods, Hi Hat rod lengths, cymbal stand tops and wing screws.

poetman

Reaction score
Contact LP or GC. They should send you the right part.