Can you mount a tom off an Atlas Classic stand?

actionjcl

Reaction score
Hi there, I know the Ludwig Classic stands weigh more than most other flat base stands out there and so with that, is it possible to mount a tom off of a cymbal stand safely without too much wobble? I’m not by any stretch a metal player or heavy hitter, I mainly play jazz and classic rock.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is this a flat base (60's) style or a single brace "Atlas" (70's) stand as you sort of allude to both....thread title vs message. Also, if it's an old tube leg Atlas then yes as they splayed out quite a bit. Is the "classic" new/reissue....as I haven't kept up on hardware too much.
If it's the flat base I would say no, however if an Atlas stand I would say yes, as long as the legs align with the weight of the tom, or if it is a boom stand and the cymbal and tom counterbalance each other.
I have a bunch of non tube, single braced Ludwig Atlas stands that still are fine although I've never mounted toms off them. I have, and still use a collarlock bar system for roto's but that takes two stands.....
Speaking of the "classic" rock genre.....I remember seeing pics of Ian Paice using the old flat base stands with two cymbals on one stand....he used big cymbals and wasn't a tapper.
bt

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
Yes. That’s what Carter is doing with his green legacy kit, if I remember correctly

actionjcl

Reaction score
Yes. That’s what Carter is doing with his green legacy kit, if I remember correctly
Thanks! I know the DW flat base doesn’t work without wobbling quite a bit. With that said, it’s funny hearing people ask if a DW ultralight version would support a tom. What do they think, the laws of physics don’t apply to it.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've just used an Atlas snare stand for a 12/13 mounted tom.

indedrum

DFO Sponsor
Reaction score
Yes, the stands are quite robust. Clamp your tom clamp on the lowest section of the stand, and position the weight of the tom directly over a leg and you should be good!

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, Ludwig put a video out 5 years ago with a tom mounted off one of those stands.

I had a complete set of the Atlas Classic stands (loved the design) and they worked well for about 4 years or so and parts just started to wear out. The boom arm started slipping and wouldn't work unless you kept it in the straight stand setting. But considering all the setup/tear downs at gigs/sessions they lasted longer than I thought they would (about 900 gigs/sessions in that time frame).

Here's the video I mentioned above from Ludwig.

actionjcl

Reaction score
Is this a flat base (60's) style or a single brace "Atlas" (70's) stand as you sort of allude to both....thread title vs message. Also, if it's an old tube leg Atlas then yes as they splayed out quite a bit. Is the "classic" new/reissue....as I haven't kept up on hardware too much.
If it's the flat base I would say no, however if an Atlas stand I would say yes, as long as the legs align with the weight of the tom, or if it is a boom stand and the cymbal and tom counterbalance each other.
I have a bunch of non tube, single braced Ludwig Atlas stands that still are fine although I've never mounted toms off them. I have, and still use a collarlock bar system for roto's but that takes two stands.....
Speaking of the "classic" rock genre.....I remember seeing pics of Ian Paice using the old flat base stands with two cymbals on one stand....he used big cymbals and wasn't a tapper.
bt
I was speaking of the new Atlas Classic flat base line thy came out with 2012. I like the weight, it’s not too light but not too heavy.