Can you play a roll (and how important are they)?

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I came up extremely old-school, with jazz drummers for teachers including Alan Dawson. So hell yes, I can play all the rudiments. Almost everything I do that sounds interesting comes from a knowledge of rudiments.

My prejudice is that rudimental knowledge (at least the 26) is required for being an educated drummer. I don't think I'd defend that in an argument, but that's certainly the unspoken expectation I carry around in my head. And mentally, when I'm watching a flashy drummer and I feel myself disliking him the most common criticism that emerges is, "It's just fast singles around the kit."

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I just play what I want. Para’s. doubles, crush,flams,Swiss army, etc.
I feel ya. But you know, too much of just doing what you want, you won't have anyone calling you to come play. We're talking about making music with other people here.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My prejudice is that rudimental knowledge (at least the 26) is required for being an educated drummer. I don't think I'd defend that in an argument, but that's certainly the unspoken expectation I carry around in my head. And mentally, when I'm watching a flashy drummer and I feel myself disliking him the most common criticism that emerges is, "It's just fast singles around the kit."
That's basically where I am about it. That's also my prejudice, but at least if we admit it's a prejudice we can acknowledge good drumming that doesn't directly incorporate those things. I'm not sure if Phil Rudd or Dave Grohl know a single rudiment, but man, they have laid down great drumming over the years.