Can You Play the 29 Greatest Beats Ever Recorded -- Like the Ones By Slayer, Iron Maiden and Lars?

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
From Drum magazine (which still owes me the hat that was supposed to come with my subscription back in 2015). To be helpful, I presented the list in reverse order.

How to Play 29 of the Greatest Drum Beats and Fills Ever Recorded

From the “Bo Diddley” beat in the 1950s to polyrhythmic shuffles of the 1990s, drums have the power to make a song memorable with both repeating patterns of beats and one-time explosions of color called “fills.” A beat is like a guitar riff—the best ones are hummed for ages, and never get old no matter how much repetition they’re given. A good fill is like a catchy melody or guitar lick that sticks out for its creativity, expression, and perfect placement within the song.

Here are 29 tunes covering 48 years of our favorites up to 2003, when this piece was originally written. Included are written notation examples for you you study, practice, and learn, as well as clips of the original songs from which they came for you to hear in context. Let us know some of your favorites in the comments below!

One With Everything? -- Styx
Eulogy -- Tool
One -- Lars
Angel of Death - Slayer!
Hot for Teacher
Where Eagles Dare - Nicko McBrain
Pride and Joy
Tom Sawyer
Message in a Bottle
Bustin Loose
Home At Last
We Will Rock You
Led Boots
50 Ways to Leave Your Lover
Actual Proof
Birds of Fire
Get Up Stand Up
Cissy Strut
Amen, Brother
Funky Drummer
Cripple Creek
Good Times, Bad Times
In My Life
Wipeout
Walk Don't Run
Lucille
Keep a Knockin
Lucille
Just a Gigilo
Bo Diddly

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Why 29? Weird number. Also can we start an addendum that includes all of the beats left off this list?

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
From Drum magazine (which still owes me the hat that was supposed to come with my subscription back in 2015). To be helpful, I presented the list in reverse order.

How to Play 29 of the Greatest Drum Beats and Fills Ever Recorded

From the “Bo Diddley” beat in the 1950s to polyrhythmic shuffles of the 1990s, drums have the power to make a song memorable with both repeating patterns of beats and one-time explosions of color called “fills.” A beat is like a guitar riff—the best ones are hummed for ages, and never get old no matter how much repetition they’re given. A good fill is like a catchy melody or guitar lick that sticks out for its creativity, expression, and perfect placement within the song.

Here are 29 tunes covering 48 years of our favorites up to 2003, when this piece was originally written. Included are written notation examples for you you study, practice, and learn, as well as clips of the original songs from which they came for you to hear in context. Let us know some of your favorites in the comments below!

One With Everything? -- Styx
Eulogy -- Tool
One -- Lars
Angel of Death - Slayer!
Hot for Teacher
Where Eagles Dare - Nicko McBrain
Pride and Joy
Tom Sawyer
Message in a Bottle
Bustin Loose
Home At Last
We Will Rock You
Led Boots
50 Ways to Leave Your Lover
Actual Proof
Birds of Fire
Get Up Stand Up
Cissy Strut
Amen, Brother
Funky Drummer
Cripple Creek
Good Times, Bad Times
In My Life
Wipeout
Walk Don't Run
Lucille
Keep a Knockin
Lucille
Just a Gigilo
Bo Diddly

I think you missed one:

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What, "Ruby Don't Take Your Love to Town" isn't included?

Now that I think of it, where's "Folsom Prison Blues," "In the Mood," and "Girl from Ipanema"?

Drummers sure can be herd animals. Everybody's trying to copy what everyone else thinks is the way to play.

The result is drummers who can't even play a waltz when it's in the title of the song! This guy puts the "Tennessee Waltz" in 6/8 (although fortunately is restrained enough not to ruin the song):

mpungercar

Reaction score
The result is drummers who can't even play a waltz when it's in the title of the song! This guy puts the "Tennessee Waltz" in 6/8 (although fortunately is restrained enough not to ruin the song):

Do you seriously think this guy is playing with Bonnie Raitt, but he doesn't know how to play a waltz? I'd be willing to bet he was asked to play it in 6/8 to give it a slow blues feel.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Do you seriously think this guy is playing with Bonnie Raitt, but he doesn't know how to play a waltz? I'd be willing to bet he was asked to play it in 6/8 to give it a slow blues feel.
This!

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
Have to agree with this statement. You don't hear any of the other instruments supporting the waltz 3 feel either. They are all playing with the 6/8 Blues feel.

Probably because none of the "younger" band members can play in 3/4 or a waltz. True 3/4 seems to be a lost meter in any of today's music. Everyone (especially the drummers) play it like a 6/8. Heck go back and listen to Billy Joel's 'Piano Man'. Billy is clearly playing the piano in a 3/4 but Liberty is playing it like a 6/8.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Have to agree with this statement. You don't hear any of the other instruments supporting the waltz 3 feel either. They are all playing with the 6/8 Blues feel.

Probably because none of the "younger" band members can play in 3/4 or a waltz. True 3/4 seems to be a lost meter in any of today's music. Everyone (especially the drummers) play it like a 6/8. Heck go back and listen to Billy Joel's 'Piano Man'. Billy is clearly playing the piano in a 3/4 but Liberty is playing it like a 6/8.
You're correct but i dont believe it was Lib.

NYFrank

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The first thing I did when I saw this thread was - look for 50 Ways and Cissy Strut. Otherwise, I would dismiss it. :)

[but, some on that list are, so very much Not the greatest. :) ]

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anymore, I truly don't know. It definitely occurred to me that he was asked/told to play the song in 6/8, or in the alternative suggested it and received approval. But people are so unfamiliar with waltzes these days that it's possible than neither he nor frankly Raitt noticed. Also, I personally think the 6/8 drumming comes close to ruining the song, and only doesn't because it's subdued. It's therefore difficult for me to believe that it was an intentional musical judgment. Maybe it was, but I'll take the bet.

Latest posts