Can you record a drum cover using mixer without audio interface?

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
So many questions:
Recording device? Smartphone, latpop, cassette recorder, reel-to-reel... ;)?
What kind of mixer? How many mics?
Using loudspeakers or headphones?

If you have powerful enough amp/speakers, you just need one recording device and one for recording. You can set your recording device (smartphone) up at a distance where both the play-along and your drumming are balanced. It won't sound the same as a close-miced setup, but you can hear yourself and the play-along music at the same time.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Edit: misread your question.

Ok, so you have a mixer, I assume you have microphones. If your mean to record with your computer, your computer probably has audio inputs on its sound card. You'd just need the right Y cable to take your stereo outs from your mixer into your 3.5mm audio-in port. Watch your levels going into the computer, if you go too loud it will clip and sound awful.

Last edited:

Ray Dee Oh King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If your mixer has USB out....sure. Many of them only track L/R though. Otherwise as Tornado stated above you can go RCA out or 1/4" out to 1/8" into your sound card on your computer. I wouldnt recommend that myself though. The Mackie Profx mixers are fairly cheap and have USB out and will record L/R. The Behringer XR18 will multitrack, or just get yourself an interface. Used Focusrite Scarlett 18i20s can be found fairly cheap. Good luck

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If your mixer has USB out....sure. Many of them only track L/R though. Otherwise as Tornado stated above you can go RCA out or 1/4" out to 1/8" into your sound card on your computer. I wouldnt recommend that myself though. The Mackie Profx mixers are fairly cheap and have USB out and will record L/R. The Behringer XR18 will multitrack, or just get yourself an interface. Used Focusrite Scarlett 18i20s can be found fairly cheap. Good luck
Note that all mixers that have USB out don't allow you to listen to the backing track via USB.

MusicianMagic

Reaction score
Note that all mixers that have USB out don't allow you to listen to the backing track via USB.
By Definition all USB ports are in & out.
What you may be referring to is a mixer that has an Analog to Digital converter but not a Digital to Analog converter. Saving a few dollars on cost. This is very rare these days.

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Another vote for Focusrite... my duo uses a Focusrite Scarlett USB with two mics (Audix i5... highly recommended) and we get good results. This item is an interface and is NOT true mixer though (no balance or tone controls), but it does sound VERY good.

We recently compared it to a nice new YAMAHA 10 channel USB mixer with digital FX and all the bells and whistles. The Yamaha sounded harsh compared to the Scarlett.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If your mixer has a USB device port (the more "square" port, versus the more rectangular "host" port), then you're not doing it without an interface -- the mixer IS the interface. An "interface" is just mic preamps paired with an A/D converter (and usually D/A converters as well).

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
By Definition all USB ports are in & out.
What you may be referring to is a mixer that has an Analog to Digital converter but not a Digital to Analog converter. Saving a few dollars on cost. This is very rare these days.
Ok, I was slightly wrong. The issue was that you can either hear the backing track or yourself when recording, but not both. See this thread:

I was looking at cheap analog mixers that could double as a (two-channel) interface a while ago and found it very difficult to know whether this works or not based on the specs. For example, for the Behringer Xenyx series I learned this from the customer reviews only.

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This (finger pointing up). YouTube I assume? Mic up the kit and run it into your mixer, run your ipod or whatever into the mixer...send the mixer output into a recording device (I use a digital slr with a stereo mini jack line input).

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a Tascam portastudio + some mics and done!
No computer needed and everything is built in and it's easy. If you plan on just a mixer, you'll still need mics and something to get the sound to your computer to record. Plus it's got a big learning curve. It can get complicated! With a portastudio, you have a standalone turnkey solution. Add an HD video camera and you'll be easily making videos with your tracks as well.
Something like this: