Can you remember who you sold your very first set to?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I sold them to the Music Parents association for our school in 1975....and in 2007 I bought them back. Ludwig Club Dates. Same heads still on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDA

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
First set was a Montgemery ward Kent set 1965. Sorry to say I don't know what happened to it. The second 1967 Hollywood Ludwig BDP bought by my parents on time payments for Christmas. About 1972 I sold it to a local Jazz Player because I got "Hired" to go on the road as a lead singer. The guy that bought it was a great player, and still plays in the Seattle area, but sold the whole set about 10 years ago except the 67 Supra. I have no pics of the Ludwig set which is strange, because I played it from 67-73. Here is a pic from about 1966 with the Kent set.

Attachments

Boomer

DFO Master
Reaction score
My dad gave my first set to a co-worker for his kid. This was in 1972.

I found them years later (2003 or so) in Music Go Round and bought them back. I could identify them by the weld my dad made to a broken Tom mount.

I held on to them and finally donated them to a program called Drumsets for Kids three years ago.

69OysterBlue

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still have my original kit - Ludwig Super Classic set in Oyster Blue Pearl. Date stamps show build dates of May 1968. I got them on January 18, 1969.

I converted the kit to two mounted toms in 1970.

They are pretty much in pristine condition and will be the last set I would ever part with.
1968 Ludwig BOP.jpg

jmato

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My grandparents got me my first toy kit when I was 3 or 4. No lugs - just springs holding the top and bottom heads together. My father somehow found replacement heads when they would break. (He was a HS band director, now retired.) My family still threatens to buy drum kits for all new youngsters that arrive.

When I was 8, my dad brought home a blue sparkle MIJ kit with wavy invertible cymbals that had been trashed at his school.

My first “real” kit came in 1983, a brand new white Slingerland kit with power toms and Sabian AA cymbals. I loved that kit and played it daily for hours. It went to every school concert, basketball game, and gig I could take it to. I expanded it with drums I stripped and painted white until it had 10 silly mismatched pieces. (It was the 80’s!) Eventually I sold it to my high school after leaving for college. I inquired just a couple of months ago and they no longer have it, sadly.

Good memories, and good thread idea.

Deafmoon

Reaction score
This is an old thread but it caught my eye. I had a Stewart 20 -13 -16 Gold Sparkle kit and about 3 years after I met a guy who came home from the Navy and gave me a Gretsch 50's 16" floor tom in Gold Sparkle to match my kit. J]He liked my playing and had no use for the tom. I played that set til I saved enough money to buy a Ludwig Stainless Shell Bonham kit. That kit was very tough to keep clean always picking up fingerprints in transport. Stainless Steel is also very hard to control the sound you want out front live. It looked great on stage though. Here's a shot at the now closed Rising Sun in Yonkers, NY.
Lou 2.jpg

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first kit was a WMP Japanese stencil kit, brand name "Custom" because the company clearly had no sense of irony. 13/16/20. Used.

Eventually I got my Tama Swingstars (red badges, pointy lugs) and in my early teens decided to re-wrap the Customs in black so I'd have a bigger kit. For a while I played my kit with 22 and 20" bass drums and 12/13/13/16 toms. We never got around to rewrapping the 16 because my dad got mad at me for something and smashed the bare shell with his fist. So that made the Custom drums just 13/20. Eventually I bought a matching 10" Tama tom and switched to a double pedal, so those drums hung around and eventually I sold or gave them away.

I did eventually sell the Tama Swingstars to a guy in college who gave them to his son. His son still gigs them so I'll occasionally see photos of those drums on my friend's Facebook page.

Stickclick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't know the buyer, really. It was someone from work that was buying it for his three daughters. The daughters were jamming in their basement.

DaveA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I sure do.

My first set was a late 40's - early 50's Walberg & Auge.

Dave W&AEnhanced.jpg

Those of a certain age may remember the 60's radical / "Yippies" founder, Abbie Hoffman. He was from my hometown, Worcester, MA (so was the Walberg and Auge company).

AbbieHoffman.jpg

In 1971, I sold the W&A set to Abbie's brother (to finance my first Slingerland set).
I still have some of the Slingerland drums - sure wish I still had that W&A set, too!

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
no I think that Gets you a Trophy.
amazing
I kind of had my first set, Ludwig Downbeats, stolen from me. A long story but it's the only kit I've parted ways with. Still have a 9 pc Fibes acrylic and my DW Collectors. NO comparison between the two. I kept the fibes long after I was thoroughly sick of their limitations because I figured it was a good idea to have some weather-proof drums around. I'd sell 'em now but doubt I could get much. I advertised them once and only got responses from guys who wanted to get them for next to nothing, make two kits and flip them.

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
Still have them. WMP Gretsch Playboy 12/20 witha 16” stencil FT and a 3 ply 4157. Got them when I was 13. From a fellow that lived across the street. Swapped out the FT for a Gretsch and recovered the set in aged WMP.
Still have them at 53.

Rufus T Firefly

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My high school friend worked for a TV/appliance store. He convinced the owner to buy my first drum kit and sell it in his store. It was a MIJ stencil kit (Dixie) and replaced with the Premier 505 Superstar.