header.nohb.html

can you remove paiste cymbal logos?

bon viesta

Reaction score
i think i’ve heard somewhere that removing logos on specifically paiste cymbals will result in terrible tarnishing of the effected area, mainly due to the metal their cymbals use. is this true?? and also, if it is, is there a way to just remove the ink in a clean way that won’t eat into whatever (likely poly) clear coat they use on the cymbal?

ludwigfire

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
While I have never tried removing Paiste logos, I'm pretty sure the logo ink is under the protective coating. So removing the logo would basically lead to the cymbal tarnishing in that area anyway.
The tarnishing / patina that happens is not any worse than any other manufacturer's due to the cymbal alloy Paiste uses. B8 alloy will tarnish just like B20 alloy will regardless of who made it, but since the two types of alloy are different, the tarnished version of both will look different.
Paiste makes (made) a cymbal cleaner and a cymbal protectant that were excellent at providing a coating to prevent tarnish once the original clear coat was gone. Unfortunately, finding these products right now has become impossible. Do a search of the forums and there will be several useful threads full of advice and ideas to preserve a nice shine on Paiste cymbals once the original coating is gone.

Good luck!

Rivot

Reaction score
i think i’ve heard somewhere that removing logos on specifically paiste cymbals will result in terrible tarnishing of the effected area, mainly due to the metal their cymbals use. is this true?? and also, if it is, is there a way to just remove the ink in a clean way that won’t eat into whatever (likely poly) clear coat they use on the cymbal?
Why would you want to remove the Paiste logo from. the cymbal.

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I tried, but it's still there...
;)

Attachments

• 339720.jpg
    339720.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 17

2oo2

Reaction score
IME having Paiste cymbals from the three different alloys (B8, B15 and B20), B8 tarnishes the worst and it’s not a pretty sight looking at an old, rusted 2002, specially if the discoloration isn’t uniform (as logo removal would produce). B15 is a close second. On B20 it’s not as big of an issue and it gets better (not worse) with time.

No judging here, but why do you want to remove logos from your Paistes? I’d understand if they were Sabian :-D, but Paiste? C’mon