Can you spot a fake?

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Or would you get ripped off for that classic Dyna Sonic you just paid 600.00 bucks for?..Be honest, remember the bad guys are usually smarter than the good guys.
Kits are also up for grabs...cymbals not so much...I used to think i knew more than i did and got dinged a few times...you as well?

Germandrummer

Reaction score
It depends on the item. I had been working for customs investigation service and definitely can state that some counterfeit are even hard to determine for the original manufacturer. No problem to fool me with drums I think.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can spot fake Ludwigs a mile away. I don’t think I’d ever be taken. I’m not nearly as versed on other brands, though.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tell us more about these fake Ludwig’s. Outside of fake Vistalite talk I don’t recall hearing about actual experiences and examples. Thanks.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I buy new and from real stores so hopefully following that method will always keep me safe.
So far so good!

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I could spot a Ludwig fake in a nano second. MIJ, well who knows. Other USA brands...maybe.

I know squat about Rogers / Dynasonics, but I has friends for that!

ludwigmod72

Reaction score
Or would you get ripped off for that classic Dyna Sonic you just paid 600.00 bucks for?..Be honest, remember the bad guys are usually smarter than the good guys.
Kits are also up for grabs...cymbals not so much...I used to think i knew more than i did and got dinged a few times...you as well?
That’s why you do your homework before you buy and purchase from a highly reputable seller or business.

Spongebob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Vintage Gretsch is somewhat easy to spot a fake, especially from the 3ply era

Reaction score
What kind of shells do you normally come across that are made into fakes? 60s MIJ? Keller?

The 13" in my orphan Ludwig kit could be considered a fake. It's what I think is a Slingerleedy shell but it came drilled with Ludwig lug spacing. I just went along with the charade since it's basically the same type of shell.

Latest posts