Can you tell me about this DW 5000 pedal?

egw

Reaction score
I recently picked up this DW 5000 strap drive pedal. It's obviously half of a double pedal unit, which I'm eventually hoping to connect to an existing DW 5000 strap drive pedal I have to use as a proper double pedal. I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about it, as I've never seen one like this one . I'm not looking to flip it or anything, just curious.

I've seen the VERY early, patent-pending DW double pedals. But this one at least has the more modern black and silver footplate, as well as the red baseplate. But it doesn't have the usual red shaft, just a plain silver one. Nor does it have the red Delta hinge, also just a silver one. And on either side of the hinge, it's got these two little black housings that say "DW" when viewed from the side.

It's honestly not all that smooth. I wonder if the hinge is the problem, and if it can be changed out.

Anyway, thanks for looking, and thanks in advance for any info you can share on this one.

Attachments

Tama CW

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
All that matters is fitting the shaft linkage/swivels to hoop to the left side of the pedal....along with the slave pedal. Looks to be an early 1990's or even later 1980's version. I have the 1st gen 5000 double pedal and the foot plates look like yours except in
silver and black....along with the 3 pedal towers. I have a brand new DW double pedal linkage that they sent to me 2 yrs ago....instead of the correct PDP double pedal linkage with the half moon swivel fittings. It might work for your pedal. But, I do note that
swivels on each end of that new linkage are different sizes. One of them fits on to the square connecting rod of my 1st gen DP....the other side does not. I'm guessing it's either too new a linkage or that the pedal fitting and the connecting rod fitting are different sizes. Not sure though.

Reactions: egw

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
The red hinge is the high performance one. I have three single strap drive 5000s and they are my go to pedal. The hinges are interchangeable. You can still even put these same hinges on the old Camco and Gretsch floating action pedals that these are based off from.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks great, clean and in nice shape. But if its not smooth it could be worn bearings , the teeth or the piece that holds the upper spring (these all wear, and bearings are where all the friction is). I think the bearings case can be changed out, parts online.
With a strap it could be a nice light/fast pedal
I have the 'slave' partner to a Tama IC double pedal and it works fine.

Glassman

Reaction score
Mid 90s. Best guess is 1995-1996 as the first version of what would become the Delta hinge. 1997 was the first red Delta ball bearing hinge according to the 97 DW catalog. My brother got a new top of the line 5000 around 1993 or 1994 and it still had the original silver hinge. I have a pedal from the same line with the same hinge as yours but a single with the Turbo sprocket. Very smooth but I prefer the Accelarator design. I would pull it apart, oil the internal bearings, rocker bearing, etc and see how it feels. The hinge may be fine.

spelman

Reaction score
I remember that model from a DW ad in Modern Drummer 1994, so mid 90s is correct.
This ad:

Attachments

spelman

Reaction score
I found a little write-up in the October 94 issue of MD, in the "New and notable" section.
Here's part of it:

"The new double pedal—along with all DW 5000
series pedals—is now available with DW's optional 50-H ball-
bearing hinge assembly. The 50-H employs a heavy-duty
machined one-piece steel hinge/axle element that utilizes ball
bearings to achieve (according to the manufacturer): increased
strength, reduced friction and stress, and a fast, smooth, precise
feel. The new hinge is available as an option on any DW 5000
series pedal at an additional cost of $45 each, or as a retro-fit item
for existing DW pedals at a suggested retail price of $65 each."

The double pedal version was reviewed in the MD December 94 issue, here's part of that:

"The 5002AH also features DW's new 50-H hinge connecting
the footplate to the heel plate. This massive hinge utilizes ball
bearings for smooth operation while providing rock-solid stability
at the point where the two plates connect. As a result, side-to-side
movement of the footplate (which had been about the only operat-
ing flaw in the DW design) is completely eliminated."

egw

Reaction score
I remember that model from a DW ad in Modern Drummer 1994, so mid 90s is correct.
This ad:
That's exactly the one! Thanks for that. I guess I'll try and take it apart and clean it and see if it functions any better than it does now.

Thanks for all the replies, fellas. Very helpful.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have the same first gen delta hinge bearing double pedal. I think this design is better than the red hinge version. They are both ball bearing hinges but the red version uses smaller bearings so isn't as stout as the original version.

egw

Reaction score
I have the same first gen delta hinge bearing double pedal. I think this design is better than the red hinge version. They are both ball bearing hinges but the red version uses smaller bearings so isn't as stout as the original version.
Could you share a picture of it with us, Thin Shell?

nolibos

Reaction score
I got a single, strap drive, bass drum pedal from this line back in 1997. It's hard to beleive how long ago that was and that we are talking about it like it's ancient history.
I feel old.

egw

Reaction score
I got a single, strap drive, bass drum pedal from this line back in 1997. It's hard to beleive how long ago that was and that we are talking about it like it's ancient history.
I feel old.
Yeah, same here. At first was thinking, "that's more recent than I thought". Then I realized that the mid 90's were 25 years ago, and I'm going to be 40 in a few months. Yikes.

egw

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, Thin Shell. How do you think that pedal compares to other DW pedals you've played?

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's the only one I have played. There is a lot of slop in the main pedal main casting where the bearings sit. It has always had it and has gotten worse over the years. It makes a noticeable thunk when the beater hits the head but since I am only using it on my E kit is isn't really a problem. I think Tama and Yamaha of that vintage were much better made pedals. I don't know about now although I'm sure Tama and Yamaha still make great pedals. I have a couple of the footboard angle adjustable Vector pedals and the build quality compared to my DW pedal makes the DW look like a no name cheap pedal.

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone recognize the vintage of this early DW 5000 double pedal with triple towers? Couldn't have been in production very long as it relies on a pair of Clips and a single set screw to keep the shaft all tight and in sync. Can't be any later than the mid-1980's.
Tama was making solid double tower pedals by the mid to late 1980's that didn't have any of the weaknesses of this DW. The pedals came with a spring 1980 Yamaha drum kit. So maybe that helps date them? I got the kit/pedals from the 2nd owner
who didn't buy the kit until the 1990's....so they really didn't know. Interesting that the connecting shaft is stamped "PAT. PEND." Set screw was missing so I had to replace with a hardware store version. Very clean set overall. Slave pedal
works surprising well despite the limitations.

AA A7 best 2.JPG

AA A6.JPG

AA A1.JPG

Last edited:

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's clearly very early. Probably the first or second generation of double pedal. A look through 80s Modern Drummer magazines should help pin the date down.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just finished reading DW's web site intro. They state they went from strap to single chain pedals in 1980. And 3 yrs later introduced the 5002 double pedal with the swivel linkage.....1983. Does that mean the 5000 came before the 5002?

I have a small pile of 1983-1990 MD magazines. Will check those out when I get a chance.

Last edited: