Can You Top This? Amazing Drummer on a Ground-Breaking Kit

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Somehow over the past 51 years, I failed to see this wonderous video of The Bob Seger Sound System performing “Ramblin Gamblin’ Man!”

Oh, I knew the song. Knew it well enough to shout along with it at top volume in my car on many occasions.

But, I never saw this clip and never heard of Pep Perrine — who brings the thunder on a drum set that was an absolute innovation for the time. (Perrine should have sued North Drums for a share of every copycat kit North sold.)

So, what other brain-melting, you-have-to-see-this YouTube clips match the unconventional style and manic energy of Pep Perrine?

Also, what happened to Pep Perrine? Only Rush steel drum player Erwig Chuapchuaduah has maintained a lower profile after achieving such unmatched drumming heights as this standout performance.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
part of the whole Grand Funk, Alice Cooper, Bob Seger little bit of Amboy Dukes cabal that came out of Michigan.. rough rugged and awesome..to this day

Last edited:

Jingoism

Reaction score
They are great but I know a lot of other drummers out there than can top this of. Speaking on being on top, have the best and top-selling toilet brand in your bathroom. Just check this Best Toilets review of 2020 https://bestflushingtoilet.org/best-toilets/ and choose which you prefer.

Last edited:

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Absolute innovation? Brain melting? He didn't play anything but quarter notes and slowed down noticeably during a slightly less loud section. Good rock tune though.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
If you open up the album (I think Mongrel have it somewhere or did) and Perrine's set is pictured on stage outdoors somewhere has like 40" x 22" head double bass drums. Think home made oil drums..Yea it was novel but wasn't as important to what Bob Seger was doing as a group, Drummers were and still are unique individuals.

Last edited:

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
...But, I never saw this clip and never heard of Pep Perrine — who brings the thunder on a drum set that was an absolute innovation for the time....
So, what other brain-melting, you-have-to-see-this YouTube clips match the unconventional style and manic energy of Pep Perrine?
What about this legend with the "competitive advantage" like no other...

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Absolute innovation? Brain melting? He didn't play anything but quarter notes and slowed down noticeably during a slightly less loud section. Good rock tune though.
...the drum kit is the innovation.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
If you open up the album (I think Mongrel have it somewhere or did) and Perrine's set is pictured on stage outdoors somewhere has like 40" x 22" head double bass drums. Think home made oil drums..Yea it was novel but wasn't as important to what Bob Seger was doing as a group, Drummers were and still are unique individuals.
I believe it was Mongrel.
Teachers Blues,yea baby!

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm missing something...what was innovative about his kit?
He was among the first.. since Louie Bellson of the 40s..to revive the long dimensioned tubs
But again he was just the drummer in a band.
Wasn't like Don Brewer who's drums were always crystal clear in the mix and was a bold skilled technician

Latest posts