Candidate for riveting? I need a jazz ride for brushes

carl from maine

Reaction score
I need a jazz ride that will react quickly and keep some definition when played with brushes — my Sigs are light and low, and I’d hesitate before drilling them. Something heavier/pingier? I’m thinking Sunday Afternoon at the Village Vanguard...

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Don't know if you meant Agop Sigs or Paiste Sigs, but my Agop Sig in a heavier-than-usual weight is super nice with brushes.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
start with a bog standard A medium light ride 20 as you can find -already drilled (found used on ebay/anywhere) and branch out down and around from there..
Roll some dice ; )
with a keyhole like that it has got some weight 2.5kgs or more (maybe not)
but it's already drilled ; ) Not prime but play around a little never know what you can come up with.
Search the bottom of the used car lots where the misfits lay : D

Last edited:

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt go too heavy. It depends “how” you want to play it but most Jazz rides are on ythe lighter side. Rivets by their nature dampen a cymbal so you dont need a lot of weight for clarity. A lot of it is in the touch.

carl from maine

Reaction score
Fascintating ebay pies!

I do have a 60’s A 22” at 2523g, drilled for 8 rivets. The rivets I have are pretty light and just clatter... I may need to get some that are meant for music, not fastening. The cymbal... it sings at rock volume (you wouldn’t think of it as a cymbal with a clear stick if you just tapped it, but in an electric setting it can really communicate the line) and the wash doesn’t overtake itself, and it has a sort of mysterious out-of-phase sound at jazz volume — but it is unshankable, uncrashable, hence disqualified for jazz. It plays pretty nice with brushes, but the rivets kill what's cool about it. I know there’s a 20” out there for me somewhere...

Agop... 21” 1765g & 20” 1606g. The 20” sounds great with a chain — dries it out to get a perfect rattling stick — but the chain is more of a mute when playing with brushes... the cymbal is played in, to say the least, but having it drilled would be such a leap of faith

Reactions: JDA

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ah yeah those Agop weights are too light IMO. They stopped making "regular" weights a year or so ago, apart from special orders. My 22 Sig is 2400 g.

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you need rivets, may I suggest going to Tony @ CymbalsOnly..he has Bosphorus and Zildjian rivets for $5 for a pack. Plus, he could guide you in what would work your need

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Fascintating ebay pies!

I do have a 60’s A 22” at 2523g, drilled for 8 rivets. The rivets I have are pretty light and just clatter... I may need to get some that are meant for music, not fastening. The cymbal... it sings at rock volume (you wouldn’t think of it as a cymbal with a clear stick if you just tapped it, but in an electric setting it can really communicate the line) and the wash doesn’t overtake itself, and it has a sort of mysterious out-of-phase sound at jazz volume — but it is unshankable, uncrashable, hence disqualified for jazz. It plays pretty nice with brushes, but the rivets kill what's cool about it. I know there’s a 20” out there for me somewhere...

Agop... 21” 1765g & 20” 1606g. The 20” sounds great with a chain — dries it out to get a perfect rattling stick — but the chain is more of a mute when playing with brushes... the cymbal is played in, to say the least, but having it drilled would be such a leap of faith
You absolutely need regular heavy rivets and notthe clasps for paper.