Cannot perform basic functions using the editor???

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What's up with this site if using Microsoft products? Many times, I try to post replies and it shows nothing. So I try to copy and paste my replies again from Word because I don't want to waste 15 minutes typing out a reply again and the editor won't accept pasting the text? Wtf?

The editor will always fail, 100% of the time hen trying to paste text. It only fails "some" of the time when posting the text that I already typed? Half of the time the editor will not display the typing cursor and won't accept any text from the keyboard.

I know it's not my machine as every other forum works fine. I also know Microsoft sucks and everything but that's what I am stuck with now.

Any ideas on a fix?

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe try a different browser and see if it improves for you. I use Windows with the chrome browser in several devices and have no problems. I did have various glitches on the site with Firefox at one time, but it's been years since I've changed so I'm not sure if that would still be so.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Word does things to your text because it isn't just a simple place to store and retrieve exactly what you typed. It is a word processor not a text editor and thus unsafe for this sort of use. One of the 487 settings your copy of Word might have switched on to change your text might cause the DFO editor to be unhappy. That's all it takes.

Copy and paste should work. You can try it out. If that doesn't work either then it is time to have a look at what settings you are using in the post editor on DFO. There are a number of DFO editor settings (and a number of different methods for doing apparently the same thing) which could interact with a chunk of text you are trying to paste.

If copy and paste works then you should also be able to use Notepad which is the built in little text editor supplied by Microsoft. That would allow you to save the text to a file on your disk rather than just have it in temporary memory storage in the clipboard. However, Microsoft being Microsoft you should establish that simple copy/paste works before you move on to Notepad. One step at a time.

The reason for using Notepad is that a file saved on your disk will still be there is you switch off your machine and come back the next day, or if you forget you have something on the clipboard and do another copy. Do that and you lose the text you saved from memory. But if you use Notepad and save the text to disk it will be safer. It'd say "safe" rather than "safer" except we are talking about a computer.

Let us know how you get on with copy/paste. If that fails as well then we'll have to start getting into your personal settings for the DFO editors.

Olderschool said:
I know it's not my machine as every other forum works fine.
Alas your belief is not well founded. It is possible that the settings on your machine created the problem when your personal settings on your machine interact with your personal settings on DFO. Forums are hugely customize-able and both ends need to cooperate. Interactions make statements like "my end is fine must be your end" less than helpful for knowing what to do next. We need to invoke the great bulldozer of science (slow and clunky but gets there in the end) and take things one step at a time testing each element of the complex system.

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What do you mean "try copy and paste" first? That's one of the issues I addressed.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Olderschool said:
What do you mean "try copy and paste" first? That's one of the issues I addressed.
Perhaps I haven't been specific enough. What I'm saying is do not copy into Word and then try and paste back from Word. Word may change your text in ways you can't see but may be causing the problem.

Copy and paste without Word means:

type a few lines of text in the DFO editor
copy that text
press post
start another post in the DFO editor
do a paste
press post

Does that work? Or does the paste into the DFO window get rejected? What you are doing is keeping the text you copied in memory before you do a paste. But the text is going nowhere near Word.

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
zenstat said:
Perhaps I haven't been specific enough. What I'm saying is do not copy into Word and then try and paste back from Word. Word may change your text in ways you can't see but may be causing the problem.

Copy and paste without Word means:

type a few lines of text in the DFO editor
copy that text
press post
start another post in the DFO editor
do a paste
press post

Does that work? Or does the paste into the DFO window get rejecte? What you are doing is keeping the text you copied in memory before you do a paste. But the text is going nowhere near Word.
Ok.....got it. No the copy/paste feature doesn't work from any editor, program, text box. Even if I copy from the DFO editor and try to paste back in the DFO editor.

drumaniac

DFO Master
Reaction score
See the little icon on the left hand top corner. Click that then paste.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
drumaniac said:
In case this is a little cryptic, I believe drumaniac means the little light switch icon in the upper left. I've drawn a black arrow to it.

Note that in the editor mode I use this switch turns off the processing of the text you enter. Thus it has lots of other effects you may find odd. You switch that mode off by clicking on the icon again. If you leave that mode on, the DFO editor remembers the setting and you will find that you are in the same mode for all of your posts.

Your experience may vary because there are many settings which control how the editor on DFO works for your particular login. Another thing to try is the icon over on the far right which gives you a choice about how to paste text.

If this doesn't help we will have to let somebody else try and suggest something.

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll try it when I get back into town and get at my home computer.

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This appears to have worked like a champ!! Thanks to all who have took the time to help my ignorant ass.

Latest posts