Canopus 1 Ply Walnut Snare 5.5x14

jdrums123

Reaction score
Beautiful solid shell 1 ply walnut 5.5x14 Canopus snare drum. Serial # 020 (I believe out of 30 total). The shell is in mint condition. Hardware shows normal lite wear and aging from use.

I originally bought this from another forum member. Still has the original DCP batter and Canopus resonant. All original Canopus hardware (throw/butt, die cast hoops, Vintage Series Dry snare wires, bolt tight washers). I’ve only used this drum twice since I bought it, and have safely stored it at my home since. But now needing to thin out the collection.

Asking $700 + shipping.

I will carefully pack the drum and ship it insured with signature required for delivery. Did my best show to all angles of the drum, but if you have any additional questions, please let me know. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

Last edited:

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Beautiful!!...how old is the drum, and what is the thinking behind having no re ring on a single ply?..GLWS

jdrums123

Reaction score
Hey Wayne. The shell is dated May 2011. The theory behind the no re-rings is that it maximizes the resonance, which is Canopus' whole approach to drum making. They figured out the correct thickness of shell for structural integrity, while incorporating the benefits of the straight shell. They really hit a home run with this design!

e.g.

Reaction score
Hey Wayne. The shell is dated May 2011. The theory behind the no re-rings is that it maximizes the resonance, which is Canopus' whole approach to drum making. They figured out the correct thickness of shell for structural integrity, while incorporating the benefits of the straight shell. They really hit a home run with this design!
Without reinforcing hoops on the top and bottom of a solid steam bent shell, it won't matter if the shell is 1/16" or 1/2" thick, it is going to "move" depending on temperature and humidity.(Good luck steam bending a board that's thick enough to end up 1/2" after the lathing process by the way!) That's what a solid piece of wood does, it needs that reinforcement......... I've been there!

El Larry

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Without reinforcing hoops on the top and bottom of a solid steam bent shell, it won't matter if the shell is 1/16" or 1/2" thick, it is going to "move" depending on temperature and humidity.(Good luck steam bending a board that's thick enough to end up 1/2" after the lathing process by the way!) That's what a solid piece of wood does, it needs that reinforcement......... I've been there!
This is a beautiful drum. I was looking for information on these drum shells moving around, as e.g. stated above, and I could not find any. e.g., how much trouble did you have with your Canopus solid walnut snare shell moving around as you stated?

jdrums123

Reaction score
All I know is that is what I was told was their theory behind it. They do rings on their 1 ply maple and beech drums, but not on walnut or bubinga. I've hated every single solid shell snare I've played from every other manufacturer, but this one worked for me tonally.

I've had zero issues with the drum. Seats heads without any issues, and tunes up properly.

e.g.

Reaction score
This is a beautiful drum. I was looking for information on these drum shells moving around, as e.g. stated above, and I could not find any. e.g., how much trouble did you have with your Canopus solid walnut snare shell moving around as you stated?
I've never owned a Canopus snare drum, but I've built hundreds of solid shell drums (toms, kicks, and snares) with Johnny Craviotto over the years. Without putting a counter hoop on the top and bottom of a solid steam bent shell, it's going to move (expand-contract etc...) while absorbing moisture, or releasing moisture depending the environment it currently resides in. That's just the nature of wood. A separate piece of wood from the original shell attached to the top and bottom helps to keep the shell from twisting with the grain, expanding, contracting etc while absorbing or releasing moisture. I suppose if you coated the inside and outside with paint so moisture cant get in or out, that might prevent the wood from "moving". I'm curious as to the outside diameter of the Canopus shell, it could be undersized enough to fit heads no problem even with "moving".

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice Snare!

Btw, I have a 20's Ludwig solid mahogany shell with no re rings (but has a thinbird's eye maple veneer)......nice thick shell < 1/2" and round as a circle a century later.......and sounds killer!

jdrums123

Reaction score
Nice Snare!

Btw, I have a 20's Ludwig solid mahogany shell with no re rings (but has a thinbird's eye maple veneer)......nice thick shell < 1/2" and round as a circle a century later.......and sounds killer!
Thanks for saying so! I have experienced zero issues with this Canopus Walnut shell, or with any other of their products I’ve owned. It sounds fantastic and is an extremely quality build.

I don’t work for the company, and didn’t design it, but obviously they felt confident enough in their design to bring it to market.

They’re a well-respected company; I’m just simply trying to sell a high quality snare of theirs that I’ve taken good care of, after being out of work in my industry for the past 10+ months.

What It Is

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful instrument. I'm pretty sure Canopus knows what they're doing . . . Wish I could swing it. GLWS