Canopus RFM vs Neo Vintage M1?

Medellin

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Looking to buy a Canopus kit in the coming weeks.

I can't decide between the two variants - RFM or Neo Vintage M1.

I am already aware of the differences in shell construction.

Can anyone help me understand the sonic differences between the two?

Thanks!

Tedd

Reaction score
As someone who has been playing the NV-M1s I can say that they have a warm, focused sound and are very easy to tune. I tend to prefer a higher tuning on all of the drums. The bass drum sounds especially amazing - round and punchy (with just a small rag wedged between the pedal and head). The quality is top notch and second to none. I'm not familiar with the RFMs, but a lot of people like them - I think that they have flanged hoops - the NV-M1s come with die cast hoops. I don't think that you can go wrong either way.

sillyilly

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As someone who has been playing the NV-M1s I can say that they have a warm, focused sound and are very easy to tune. I tend to prefer a higher tuning on all of the drums. The bass drum sounds especially amazing - round and punchy (with just a small rag wedged between the pedal and head). The quality is top notch and second to none. I'm not familiar with the RFMs, but a lot of people like them - I think that they have flanged hoops - the NV-M1s come with die cast hoops. I don't think that you can go wrong either way.
I really like what you said at the end there! Honestly, this is a no lose situation. As they used to say on my favourite TV show, “The Wire” (although Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee is closing in fast), this is “One of them good problems.”

mark2456

Reaction score
I was researching the Canopus Rfm kits shell construction. I emailed Canopus and they told me they couldn’t divulge that info to the public.so I contacted DCP one of their distributors and they got the same response from them. What ever it is though I must admit they do sound awesome.

sillyilly

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was researching the Canopus Rfm kits shell construction. I emailed Canopus and they told me they couldn’t divulge that info to the public.so I contacted DCP one of their distributors and they got the same response from them. What ever it is though I must admit they do sound awesome.
It’s cool that they are so secretive, I like that.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Canopus are an incredible company making incredible drums. I have several RFM kits and they are insanely GREAT! The bass drums are like cannons. You can't go wrong with either series, but I particularly love the Maple RFM kits.

sillyilly

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Canopus are an incredible company making incredible drums. I have several RFM kits and they are insanely GREAT! The bass drums are like cannons. You can't go wrong with either series, but I particularly love the Maple RFM kits.
Yep.

sillyilly

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Let me rephrase what I previously said. If you would like to see a high quality video of a Canopus Yaiba Bop kit, which are maple drums without reinforcing rings, please go to the video section. Thank you.

Last edited:

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I have 2 Canopus Kits, the RFM and the Ash, I have not heard or played the Neo Vintage.
sizes are RFM 22 13 16 and the sound is huge, the Ash is 20 10 12 14 and is excellent, right as rain, at home with a lot of styles of music.
In my sizes the RFM is a fine choice for rock, funk, big band etc.
The Ash also sounds bigger than its sizes, great kit, it is an underlooked wood, you may want to have a look at those.

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have 2 Canopus Kits, the RFM and the Ash, I have not heard or played the Neo Vintage.
sizes are RFM 22 13 16 and the sound is huge, the Ash is 20 10 12 14 and is excellent, right as rain, at home with a lot of styles of music.
In my sizes the RFM is a fine choice for rock, funk, big band etc.
The Ash also sounds bigger than its sizes, great kit, it is an underlooked wood, you may want to have a look at those.
I have an Ash series snare by Canopus and it sounds awesome. If I was in the market for a new drum kit the Ash series would be considered as a new kit for myself.

bjisteve

Reaction score
I play RFMs (12/14/15) and Yaibas (12/14/18/14). After playing Gretsch forever, I have said goodbye to them. One reason (besides how insanely great the RFMs sound) - the RFMs are half the weight. I haven't heard the MV1s live, but I understand they are heavy. So if that matters to you, it might be a consideration.

Medellin

Reaction score
So right now I am considering a few kit options. Right now I have an option to buy a RFM 18/12/14 for $1500 or an M1 18/12/14 for $1800.

Tough choices. Are those prices reasonable?

fitzsy

Reaction score
I play an RFM kit (12, 14, 18, 20) and can confirm that they are physically light and really quite amazing. I think the stick feel is a little "squishier" like Slingerlands, rather than Gretsch-like which is how the NV60-M1s feel to me. I also find the RFM drums have a sound that speaks great at low volumes and when you lay into them, and blends evenly in the mix. I use mine for jazz and tune medium high and they are delightful. I use a NV60-M1 snare, but I hear the "Maple" is also amazing. I have a NV50 (3 ply) snare on order but it's not here yet.

Tedd

Reaction score
So right now I am considering a few kit options. Right now I have an option to buy a RFM 18/12/14 for $1500 or an M1 18/12/14 for $1800.

Tough choices. Are those prices reasonable?
Yes - those prices are very reasonable. I agree with Sillyilly - if you can you should buy both. The M1 snare drums are also pretty nice.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you like Gretsch, the NV 1 seems the closest. I heard some Canopus drums, probably RFM that sounded more open and ringy, triple flange hoops and all.

sillyilly

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you like Gretsch, the NV 1 seems the closest. I heard some Canopus drums, probably RFM that sounded more open and ringy, triple flange hoops and all.
That’s good to know. All I know is my two Yaiba kits with snares, 6.5 birch and 5.5 maple.