header.nohb.html

Canopus snare wires?

xtranoise

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
for sure the wires are great, but the drums are even greater
Don't you mean "more gooder"?

(I am just trying to make a joke! Nothing personal and NOT a criticism. Trust me, I persoanlly have horrible grammer and spelling; I just like to make fun of English and I like to laugh.)

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't you mean "more gooder"?

(I am just trying to make a joke! Nothing personal and NOT a criticism. Trust me, I persoanlly have horrible grammer and spelling; I just like to make fun of English and I like to laugh.)
You are correct. The drums are more gooder than the wires
A Jazzy way to describe the drums might be Mo Betta

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So just to give some perspective: Canopus are nice wires, but in my experience, are not a good choice for deep beds (my old Ludwig mahogany solid shell). I bought some budget wires a while back from dfd or drumsonsale, and they have angled endplates that create really good contact of the wires across the ss head. The Canopus were noisy, and contact was poor near the endplates. Point is, snare wire geometry/design & materials matter when mating with a certain drum design. Try to find compatibilty. On the other hand, I have a 13" solid maple snare with a shallow bed and the Vintage Canopus work great with this drum.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
So just to give some perspective: Canopus are nice wires, but in my experience, are not a good choice for deep beds (my old Ludwig mahogany solid shell). I bought some budget wires a while back from dfd or drumsonsale, and they have angled endplates that create really good contact of the wires across the ss head. The Canopus were noisy, and contact was poor near the endplates.
In my experience the contact of the wires near the edge hardly matters.
As far as noise goes, I had one set of Canopus that were soldered poorly, returned them. With the others there was no noise and crisp response on both rather deep snare beds (Slingerland 60s maple) or shallow ones (Supra). A 1920s NOB with narrow beds didn't have the crispest low volume response; here 12 strands max. work better.

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have 3 sets of the 16 strand vintage and like them.

Thinking about trying the 42 strand version on a bell brass snare drum. Anyone here use the canopus 42 strand wires?
I have the 16 strand model too and like them. Someone above said that non-plated Canopus wires are better for wood drums. I think the 16 strand model IS non-plated. I have those wires on my metal snare and it sounds decent but maybe I should put them on my wood snare?

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my experience the contact of the wires near the edge hardly matters.
As far as noise goes, I had one set of Canopus that were soldered poorly, returned them. With the others there was no noise and crisp response on both rather deep snare beds (Slingerland 60s maple) or shallow ones (Supra). A 1920s NOB with narrow beds didn't have the crispest low volume response; here 12 strands max. work better.
Have to disagree, Seb. For any of my snares, good wire contact across the ss head yields better response and less noise/buzz. Wire set geometry, beds, straps or cord, are all part of the equation. It's not as fiddly as it sounds. I just keep a bunch of different wires sets on hand.

But everyone has different experiences, right? That's what trial and error is for, to figure out your own preferences. And 12 max for my 2-piece shell dance model, as well - we agree on that.

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just put the Canopus 16 strand back on my 6.5x14 wood DW and had better results this time. I think it’s because I’m getting better at putting the wires on because of the videos out there. I’ve been using Sweetwater’s method(for the most part) lately

michaelg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Years back someone told me I should always loosen the wires when packing a drum away. Being doing it ever since. Any one else do it ?

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years back someone told me I should always loosen the wires when packing a drum away. Being doing it ever since. Any one else do it ?
I always keep the snares engaged when storing drums. Too much chance of the snares themselves or the strainer to get damaged when they're turned off / slack.

The stretching that happens when packed is less than one song's worth of actual backbeats on the drum.

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I put a snare drum in a case and leave it around the house I leave the snares engaged but I loosen the knob a little so their not real tight against the head. I actually do that when the snare drum is set up with the set sometimes or I just put the throwoff in the off position. I guess I feel like it gives the wires and everything a break. Not sure if it does.

Mapex Always

Reaction score
When I put a snare drum in a case and leave it around the house I leave the snares engaged but I loosen the knob a little so their not real tight against the head. I actually do that when the snare drum is set up with the set sometimes or I just put the throwoff in the off position. I guess I feel like it gives the wires and everything a break. Not sure if it does.

The most stress on snare wires is when you actually take them from an unengaged position to an engaged position, there’s a moment in every throw off during the engagement motion that the chains are stretched a tad further than when they are actually completely engaged.

The way to keep your wires in the absolute best shape is to throw them off only if you are doing something in a song or practicing ,, at all other times leave the wires engaged. No unnecessary engagements.

Hope this helps.

michaelg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tried some canopus wires on a few snares I have (one with medium deep beds) and yes I like them better than other brands I've tried thus far.
The end plates are very lightweight and when used with the provided canopus cord's appear to float over the reso head.
Drums sound a little fuller, sensitive, warmer etc. Not a night and day difference but a definite improvement.

Last edited:

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tried some canopus wires on a few snares I have (one with medium deep beds) and yes I like them better than other brands I've tried thus far.
The end plates are very lightweight and when used with the provided canopus cord's appear to float over the reso head.
Drums sound a little fuller, sensitive etc. Not a night and day difference but a definite improvement.
Yeah I just ordered a 20 strand for my brass snare. Supposed to come today. Looking forward to how it sounds. I got a Canopus 16 strand on my wood snare and like it. I took the guy’s advice in this thread and made sure to get a plated version for my brass snare. Can’t put it on yet till I get the new snare side head which comes tomorrow.

FDH

Reaction score
For those who have tried the 20-strand vintage un-plated wires and the 16-strand vintage ones (which I understand are un-plated by default), is there much difference? Was thinking of ordering one or the other for my 5.5 x 14 wood snare. I see Canopus describe the 16s as a bit drier, a bit more shell sound, but was wondering what it was like in reality between the two. Thanks!

Good thread!

underratedcowbell

Reaction score
For those who have tried the 20-strand vintage un-plated wires and the 16-strand vintage ones (which I understand are un-plated by default), is there much difference? Was thinking of ordering one or the other for my 5.5 x 14 wood snare. I see Canopus describe the 16s as a bit drier, a bit more shell sound, but was wondering what it was like in reality between the two. Thanks!

Good thread!
There is always going to be a difference between a 16 strand a a 20 strand wire! No only in Canoupus wires!
The more strands the wetter the sound. Less strands = drier sound = more sound of the drum!
If you want to hear the shell and heads combination to its fullest than 12 strand wires is the way to go!

Reactions: FDH

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Good thread!
I’m not a pro when it comes to snares wires. I’ve been playing a long time but just recently have been learning how to tune drums better and put wires on correctly. I mainly got the 16 strand because they said it brings out the shell sound which sounded good to me because I wanted to get the most wood sound out of my 6.5x14 wood snare. Also I was getting too much excessive buzz and uncontrollable snare wire sound and thought they’d help. I put those same snare wires on my 5.5x14 brass snare and they worked too but someone in this thread and I think on the Canopus website say to use plated wires with metal snares and vice versa for wood.

I recorded this a couple weeks ago with that wood snare and the 16 strand wires. I also have a wood hoop on the batter side only. Sounds pretty good I think but think I can get it even better because I’m working on it

Last edited:
Reactions: FDH