Canopus Vintage Wires: Chrome vs Dry (non-plated)

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Canopus Vintage Wires: Chrome vs Dry (non-plated)? Please mention what drum you have either wires on and which you like best? Canopus generally recommends Chrome plated wires for metal drums and the Dry (non-Plated) for wood snares. I am just curious what other drummer's find best.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a set of the non-plated wires that came on a 6.5x14 Brady Sheoak block snare. That drum sounded great with those wires, every other set I tried on it sounded considerably less impressive.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like the chrome version, for wood and metal drums. The unplated one sounds a bit darker/drier, so it emphasises this aspect of wood drums, but I like a certain balanced sound. The chrome version adds some brightness, the wood drum I prefer is a Slingerland 1-pieces maple from the early 60s.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have the chrome vintage wires and honestly didn't notice much difference from generics on the snare I tried them on. You guys have better ears than I do I guess.

egw

Reaction score
Just like Seb, I like the chrome ones and have had good luck with them on all types of drums, brass, wood, and aluminum.

That being said though, I've tried the non-plated ones too, and don't find them to be too terribly different.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have the chrome vintage wires and honestly didn't notice much difference from generics on the snare I tried them on. You guys have better ears than I do I guess.
What drum did you try them on?

Fifty9Dunes

Reaction score
Great topic.

I have the chrome ones on a Premier Signia Marquis (6 ply maple) and it's as good as sliced bread.

I'm confident they're better than anything off the shelf; interestingly enough I just realized VicFirth "partnered" w/Canopus for their Vintage Snappy's (avail. in all my local chains)...look the same to me but with gold plates, and the 26 Vic strands (cheaper too) vs. the 30 Canopus sells direct.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Generic wires 8Snappies, Gibraltar these days) are totally fine. With the right adjustment, they should work on any drum.
Boutiqe wires like Canopus only tweak fine details such as depth of tone, dynamic repsonse, high end smoothness (particularly the crhome ones).

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
There's a feel difference while playing the drum that few seem to mention while playing these wires vs cheapo import wires. Now, I agree that on some drums, a cheapo set can work just fine, but on some drums...they simply don't. For years I really loved the 20 strand Gretsch wires and they seemed to work on just about anything pretty well. Then back in the late 90's the original Puresound wires came out and they were just incredible! They were very fat and had very little buzzy noise associated with them...just a fat beautiful sound that felt great on every drum I used them on. Wood or metal...it didn't matter...just lush and fat...what a joy! For a while, I preferred them on almost everything, but then when the old man sold Puresound, they changed and no longer sounded or felt the same. They still don't... I don't know why other than I heard that he would make them by soldering each strand by hand and they were sheer perfection. Puresounds just don't do it for me any longer.
Going forward, these Canopus wires seem to have something that is special and particularly high end in their sound. I would just like to hear what other drummers who love these wires are finding special about them and whether they seem to prefer the plated chrome vs the dry (non-plated) versions and on what drums they prefer to have them on. I fully understand that tastes vary and that is why I am asking the question. There are no wrong answers! I just appeciate your opinions. Keep em' coming...

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There's a feel difference while playing the drum that few seem to mention while playing these wires vs cheapo import wires. Now, I agree that on some drums, a cheapo set can work just fine, but on some drums...they simply don't. For years I really loved the 20 strand Gretsch wires and they seemed to work on just about anything pretty well. Then back in the late 90's the original Puresound wires came out and they were just incredible! They were very fat and had very little buzzy noise associated with them...just a fat beautiful sound that felt great on every drum I used them on. Wood or metal...it didn't matter...just lush and fat...what a joy! For a while, I preferred them on almost everything, but then when the old man sold Puresound, they changed and no longer sounded or felt the same. They still don't... I don't know why other than I heard that he would make them by soldering each strand by hand and they were sheer perfection. Puresounds just don't do it for me any longer.
Going forward, these Canopus wires seem to have something that is special and particularly high end in their sound. I would just like to hear what other drummers who love these wires are finding special about them and whether they seem to prefer the plated chrome vs the dry (non-plated) versions and on what drums they prefer to have them on. I fully understand that tastes vary and that is why I am asking the question. There are no wrong answers! I just appeciate your opinions. Keep em' coming...
Yes. I agree with you completely on this one

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Where I notice the difference is at lower volume and with brushes on train beats the drum just has "more" of something....I don't know I can't explain Canopus wires, I just know that they make my great sounding snares sound even better. When I play train beats with sticks I play out at the edge of the drum a lot for volume reasons (and just out of habit) the drum just has more response with the Canopus wires. With brushes (Nylon Regal Tips) the drum is almost as loud as with sticks, which for what I do is perfect.

I have the chrome ones on a 5x14 Black Beauty and on a 5x14 400. I have the unplated ones on my 6.5 x 14 Hammered Bronze. Not too much difference between the plated and unplated to my ears and I haven't a/b them on the same drum either so can't help too much there. I would think the unplated would mellow out a bright sounding drum a bit.

OT- I have some older Puresound 30's on my 402 and really like them on that drum.
I believe I have Puresound 16's on my 5x14 Classic 6 Ply Ludwig and Generic 20's on my 5x14 Acro.

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm a Canopus accessories artist/endorser and Seb77 description is perfect.

I use both plated and non plated on both type of shells but typically use the non plated on wood shell snares and plated on the metal. But if you have snare that tends to be louder try a set of the non plated wires and it'll tame it down some by making the snare wire sound drier/darker.

I have a plated set on a 14x6.5 black beauty and a 42 BackBeat wires on a Gretsch Swamp Dawg snare.
Non Plated set on a 14x5 7drums maple snare and on a Canopus Ash 14x6.5 snare.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I haven’t compared chrome to non-chromed yet, but I’d like to.

I have a single ply ash snare that’s picky about what wires sound good on it; and I have a box of all different kinds of wires. The last time I set up the ash drum, I went through several wires before finding the perfect match, which happened to be Canopus chrome 20 strand. So now it will be interesting to see if the non-chromed are better or worse on that particular drum.

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I definately prefer the chrome ones, the dry are a bit dark, chrome ones have just the right amount of brightness, to me they are the best wires you can get, they sound perfect. they are my go to wires, I have them on my 2 radio king snares and will soon put my spare ones on my 90s premier genista snare.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
Would fans of these wires say their sound benefits are more heard at lower volume playing? Or maybe low to moderate volume anyway?

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To me they sound good at all volumes but as someone else said I think they just seem to 'fill out' the sound just the right way at quieter dynamics.
Would fans of these wires say their sound benefits are more heard at lower volume playing? Or maybe low to moderate volume anyway?
[/QUOTE

egw

Reaction score
To me, the difference in the Canopus wires is that they respond comparatively more than Taiwanese snares at lower volumes but with more tension. Whereas to get the same response from cheaper wires you'd have to loosen the wires' tension on the strainer, the Canopus wires respond more without having to loosen them.

I know that's a terrible explanation (I can't figure how to word it any more clearly at the moment), but you can probably get the idea.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
To me, the difference in the Canopus wires is that they respond comparatively more than Taiwanese snares at lower volumes but with more tension. Whereas to get the same response from cheaper wires you'd have to loosen the wires' tension on the strainer, the Canopus wires respond more without having to loosen them.

I know that's a terrible explanation (I can't figure how to word it any more clearly at the moment), but you can probably get the idea.
Yeah to me it's almost like you can feel the snares give when you hit the drum even with fairly tight tension on the strainer, which is my preference. I've never liked the sound of loose wires yet these you seem to be able to keep tight without choking the drum

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
I tried plated and non plated and wanted something in-between. The ones that DW makes was closest to that. Ace

Latest posts