Cant we just be drummers

petereather

Reaction score
Stoped playing drums for 25 years 6 months ago got back even built a studio in my back yard put my old Sonor tear drop together and I could not even remember what size sticks I use to play found 2 different ones in the basement and started to play , It was terrible !!!! I would like to state reason for quitting , self employed carpel tunnel settling in Drums became second . Ok so I sold my Buisness and hear I am . Joined Drum Forums and stated watching you tube , Wow ! But has drumming gotten so you need to play like this guy you need to do the fills you need to do this and that and on on on . Many of the drummers just played back in the day , One fella said If I wanted to read music I would not have picked drums . Ringo admitted he did not play the fills the same He said the guys where alwys telling him what they wanted ??? Recorded studio seldom sounds the same as live even the speed of song and here we are . Just Saying

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Unless your a Pro supporting other artists then your in it for yourself.

If it brings you joy, what else do you need?

According to Buddhist thinking, happiness and sorrow are our own responsibility – and completely within our control. " meaning who cares what others do or think; You make yourself happy or sad; you and only you have control.

takes all kinds is absolutely correct

Now let’s see those Teardrops.

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
Also, remember that this is a very young instrument in the developing stages. Things will change drastically in a short period of time and then level out at some distant point in time, like violin and piano technique/pedagogy have.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember, you don't have to justify yourself or what you like to do to anybody.

I was reminded of a member here who passed a while back by seeing his post in an old thread. He was dying of lung cancer, loved his PDPs set up in his house, had a blast playing at home and making a groovy racket. It brought him joy in the most grim of circumstances. What's better than that?

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stopped playing drums for 25 years. 6 months ago got back, even built a studio in my back yard. I put my old Sonor tear drop together and I could not even remember what size sticks I use to play, found 2 different ones in the basement and started to play. It was terrible !!!! I would like to state reason for quitting, self employed carpel tunnel settling in, drums became second. Ok, so I sold my Business and here I am. Joined Drum Forums and stated watching you tube , Wow! But has drumming gotten so you need to play like this guy, you need to do the fills, you need to do this and that and on and on. Many of the drummers just played back in the day, One fella said If I wanted to read music I would not have picked drums. Ringo admitted he did not play the fills the same. He said the guys where always telling him what they wanted ??? Recorded studio seldom sounds the same as live even the speed of song and here we are . Just Saying.
First of all, welcome back to playing, and welcome to DFO.

Play what makes YOU happy. I'm a decent drummer, good enough to be employed in bands for the past forty-five years. But, there are certainly more technically proficient drummers out there. I try to support the singer and the song first. That has kept me relevant enough that people want to play music with me.

But there are no real rules. If playing makes you happy, that is all that matters.

You found your way back to drums and drumming, and that is a good thing.

Last edited:

Angelo Zollo

Reaction score
First of all, welcome back to playing, and welcome to DFO.

Play what makes YOU happy. I'm a decent drummer, good enough to be employed in bands for the past forty-five years. But, there are certainly more technically proficient drummers out there. I try to support the singer and the song first. That has kept me relevant enough that people want to play music with me.

But there are no real rules. If playing makes you happy, that is all that matters.

You found your way back to drums and drumming, and that is a good thing.
Well said Sir!

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Why can't we be drummers,
Why can't we be drummers. . . .

Reactions: JDA

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Play what makes you happy to play and find like musicians to do so with. That's it. Obviously the more styles you can play, the more doors open. At the end of the day though, watch videos to learn or simply for enjoyment and be yourself.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always good to see a fellow Forum member inna celebratory spirit early in the day! Skol!

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m terrible compared to the artists who wrote the music I like to play but I have fun nonetheless. I don’t care for most of the YouTube videos either. Just let it be fun and the rest falls into place.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Okay- I will add my serious answer: Phil Collins adapted the old Motown drum fill to sound like his own. That was the first one I could pull off. I still pull that one off after a four year hiatus. That being said, my version of the Phil Collins Motown style fill has migrated from when I could play it exactly. It’s okay.

When I learn a song for a band, I try and make it identifiable without totally copping it for two reasons:
1) My chops aren’t what they used to be.
2) Why do you have to play it just like the darned record? Add your twist, have some fun!

petereather

Reaction score
Okay- I will add my serious answer: Phil Collins adapted the old Motown drum fill to sound like his own. That was the first one I could pull off. I still pull that one off after a four year hiatus. That being said, my version of the Phil Collins Motown style fill has migrated from when I could play it exactly. It’s okay.

When I learn a song for a band, I try and make it identifiable without totally copping it for two reasons:
1) My chops aren’t what they used to be.
2) Why do you have to play it just like the darned record? Add your twist, have some fun!
Amen Brother .

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Stoped playing drums for 25 years 6 months ago got back even built a studio in my back yard put my old Sonor tear drop together and I could not even remember what size sticks I use to play found 2 different ones in the basement and started to play , It was terrible !!!! I would like to state reason for quitting , self employed carpel tunnel settling in Drums became second . Ok so I sold my Buisness and hear I am . Joined Drum Forums and stated watching you tube , Wow ! But has drumming gotten so you need to play like this guy you need to do the fills you need to do this and that and on on on . Many of the drummers just played back in the day , One fella said If I wanted to read music I would not have picked drums . Ringo admitted he did not play the fills the same He said the guys where alwys telling him what they wanted ??? Recorded studio seldom sounds the same as live even the speed of song and here we are . Just Saying
So what exactly is your question, please?