Cant we just be drummers

Sonorholic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just do what's fun for you. Practice hard if you want but only if it's fun enough. I like to find stuff that's just beyond what I can do so it keeps me trying. Jumping into something really advanced is a sure way to giving up.. at least for me.

I remember a party years ago where after the band played a guy came up and just sat down at the drums.. he was just fooling around very quietly making little rolls and such. Turned out he'd played in school band as a kid but never kept up with it. At this point the party moved to a different location and he stayed at the drums. I went back an hour or more later and he was still at it.. eyes closed.. just totally lost in making sounds and having fun. That warmed my heart big time.. it's something we forget as the years go by... JUST HAVE FUN!!

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I approached drumming in the same way others would take up hockey or tennis . To me it was largely a physical activity to be mastered .

All I ever wanted to do was play drums in a band and get paid for it and enjoy the hip status it created for me with chicks and all the rest of the nonsense .

I've come to believe that stable well adjusted people wouldn't make drumming a career choice . Some do it right , pursue it academically, become more complete musicians . I happen to believe that playing drums and being a drummer aren't always the same thing .

Last edited:

Pibroch

Reaction score
I approached drumming in the same way others would take up hockey or tennis . To me it was largely a physical activity to be mastered .

All I ever wanted to do was play drums in a band and get paid for it and enjoy the hip status it created for me with chicks and all the rest of the nonsense .

I've come to believe that stable well adjusted people wouldn't make drumming a career choice . Some do it right , pursue it academically and become well rounded musicians . I happen to believe that playing drums and being a drummer aren't always the same thing .
So are you an unstable maladjusted drummer or just very experienced at playing drums?

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
So are you an unstable maladjusted drummer or just very experienced at playing drums?
Better adjusted and more stable today than I was back then , for sure . I learned a thing or two about drumming along the way and continue to do so . I quit trying to give it up .

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That works if you're not looking for a drummer for your progressive rock band.
Absolutely but then the only so called Rock concert I've ever attended was the Eagles last tour. We were in a football stadium and binocular distance from the band. I'm told they really aren't a Rock band, Hoe Walsh non withstanding and maybe because the Dixie Chicks opened for them. Somehow I much prefer a nice comfortable seat in a theatre with good acoustics and a liveable sound level.
If you've never played dance or lower sound level Rock venues then I understand where your coming from.