Car wrap on drums?

Chopsnbops

Reaction score
I always thought it would be a good idea because they seem pretty thin and durable. But they are super sticky so maybe for cheap or older drums removing them might damage or separate the plies? But I don’t know it seems to me like a quality affordable option

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am thinking this may even be a better idea than recovering my hot rod kit. I know there are problems with cheap sticky wrap on ebay. If it’s the same stuff, I will stay away, FAR away.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know it won't last as long as regular drum wrap. I've run across the cheap stuff, and tried some slightly more pricey stuff. It's stretchy and weird sometimes, but there are some decent choices.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I know it won't last as long as regular drum wrap. I've run across the cheap stuff, and tried some slightly more pricey stuff. It's stretchy and weird sometimes, but there are some decent choices.
As long as I don’t have too bad of a time removing it is my concern.

kallen49

Reaction score
I work in prepress for a company that prints wraps for transit, (trains & buses), all over Canada.
3M makes a wrap known as Controltac that is durable but removeable, used for wrapping trains & buses.
It’s more expensive than the “Busmark” self adhesive wrap which is applied to coroplast panels.
Busmark might rip the paint off of a car so be careful which substrate your printer is using depending on whether or not you want to ever remove it.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have to punch holes all in it for Lug and brackets etc.
guess it could be done
depending how to approach punching or cutting holes It may tear?

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Have to punch holes all in it for Lug and brackets etc.
guess it could be done
depending how to approach punching or cutting holes It may tear?
Lugs would be removed. I wrap hockey sticks all the time. The drums won’t put up quite the abuse my goal sticks receive. I would be wrapping my matte Lacquer tom on the kit and maybe the wooden piccolo toms.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
for those little teeny circles? ; ) ok. I wonder if "car" wrap would take the abuse and not tear.

why not just get contact paper
and call it "70s Pearls".
wait I got a pic..

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
for those little teeny circles? ; ) ok. I wonder if "car" wrap would take the abuse and not tear.
Big hits, no. It actually takes quite the shot to tear it on my sticks.

By the time the wrap is shot, my sticks are wet noodles (foam core breaking down. Never removed any.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

why not just get contact paper
and call it "70s Pearls".
wait I got a pic..
Car wrap is quite stout. Teeny circles are nothing...

Reactions: JDA

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Covering the matte black tom with a metallic bronze. I have other colours that I wrap sticks with. Stay tuned.

dumbdrum

Reaction score
I do it all the time. I use vivid wrap goes on easy take more abuse than your lacquer finish will and it does come off with out damage.

Chopsnbops

Reaction score
I do it all the time. I use vivid wrap goes on easy take more abuse than your lacquer finish will and it does come off with out damage.
How thin is it? I’ve never used it before I just always assumed it was maybe a little thicker than paper. Does it affect the sound at all, because if it’s really durable and thin then I don’t know why it’s not a popular alternative to traditional drum wraps. Plus it’s probably way easier to install and remove