Car wrap on drums?

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've used it on a Frankenkit, covered in mod orange. Quite thin but I spray lacquered it with ordinary clear coat from my local car parts shop. Sold it years ago but saw it the other week and it still looked great.
Cheap way of making a cool looking kit.

dumbdrum

Reaction score
How thin is it? I’ve never used it before I just always assumed it was maybe a little thicker than paper. Does it affect the sound at all, because if it’s really durable and thin then I don’t know why it’s not a popular alternative to traditional drum wraps. Plus it’s probably way easier to install and remove
It is used to wrap cars with so if holds up to that I think it will hold up. thicker than contact paper and I have not noticed any change in sound. You don't need to strip original wrap just apply over.

Monday317

Reaction score
I am just thinking of this. Has anyone tried it? Removal difficult or okay?
I've been looking at this to cover some old Export shells; here's what I've found:

3M DI-NOC has a few nice looking wood grain wraps that can stand up to the 3' foot test of looking OK. They look pretty good in gloss, not so much in matte--but that's truly a matter of taste The birdseye maple is really nice and reasonable at Metro Restyling, an online car wrap dealer. Amazon has it also. What's really nice is it comes in 4' x whatever' lengths with the grain running parallel with the long dimension, as if you were using veneer. Figure the circumference of your bass drum (pi or 3.14 x the drum's diameter) and order a 4' x that length piece. I have a 28" bass, so πd is about 88"; the next even 12' up is 96", therefore I need a 4' x 8' roll, costing around $200.00 USD--1/2 the price of a few pieces of regular drum wrap.

VVinyl is another decent brand and about half the cost of the 3M stuff. Again, a lot of the matte finish colors are suitable for hotel counter accents or to refinish a beat-up IKEA piece, but don't really look like finished wood.

There are others as well, more or less hit or miss as to their looks. You can get samples of these for a couple bucks before investing in a whole roll. The adhesive on these does a fine job, but the shell should be sanded smooth and blemishes/dents/holes filled in. I'd apply a couple coats of a gloss varnish, well smoothed; General Finishes' Seal-A Cell or Arm-Seal can be wiped on to a smooth surface for ease of use and won't require the whole apply-sand-remove dust-apply-sand-remove dust-bit. If you have the shell smoothly sanded to around 400 grit, a sealed surface will accept the adhesive nicely and last at least a decade.

All that said, you can get real wood veneer in long pieces for a similar price range from Rockler with a peel and stick backing at least as good as the vinyl films, eliminating the whole glue and vacuum bag mess. Of course, you'd have to stain & finish it like regular wood, but if you love your shells and want a unique kit like no other, it's another way to go!

Good luck--

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been looking at this to cover some old Export shells; here's what I've found:

3M DI-NOC has a few nice looking wood grain wraps that can stand up to the 3' foot test of looking OK. They look pretty good in gloss, not so much in matte--but that's truly a matter of taste The birdseye maple is really nice and reasonable at Metro Restyling, an online car wrap dealer. Amazon has it also. What's really nice is it comes in 4' x whatever' lengths with the grain running parallel with the long dimension, as if you were using veneer. Figure the circumference of your bass drum (pi or 3.14 x the drum's diameter) and order a 4' x that length piece. I have a 28" bass, so πd is about 88"; the next even 12' up is 96", therefore I need a 4' x 8' roll, costing around $200.00 USD--1/2 the price of a few pieces of regular drum wrap.

VVinyl is another decent brand and about half the cost of the 3M stuff. Again, a lot of the matte finish colors are suitable for hotel counter accents or to refinish a beat-up IKEA piece, but don't really look like finished wood.

There are others as well, more or less hit or miss as to their looks. You can get samples of these for a couple bucks before investing in a whole roll. The adhesive on these does a fine job, but the shell should be sanded smooth and blemishes/dents/holes filled in. I'd apply a couple coats of a gloss varnish, well smoothed; General Finishes' Seal-A Cell or Arm-Seal can be wiped on to a smooth surface for ease of use and won't require the whole apply-sand-remove dust-apply-sand-remove dust-bit. If you have the shell smoothly sanded to around 400 grit, a sealed surface will accept the adhesive nicely and last at least a decade.

All that said, you can get real wood veneer in long pieces for a similar price range from Rockler with a peel and stick backing at least as good as the vinyl films, eliminating the whole glue and vacuum bag mess. Of course, you'd have to stain & finish it like regular wood, but if you love your shells and want a unique kit like no other, it's another way to go!

Good luck--
I appreciate your expertise!

Yeah- I am essentially going to go for somewhat traditional drum looks with prismatic sparkles, chrome and even neon colours for a jellybean look.

Parcel

Reaction score
I always thought it would be a good idea because they seem pretty thin and durable. But they are super sticky so maybe for cheap or older drums removing them might damage or separate the plies? But I don’t know it seems to me like a quality affordable option
Its a lot thinner than drum wrap. U mite have problems with the fittings. They have fit inline with the rims an shell.

You could try wrapping it on top of the existing wrap. They got some good colors. So it mite work. Contact the wrapping supplier to c if its suitable...

ToBBa

Reaction score
I work at a place that does car wraps.
I've used both 3m 1080/2080 car wrapping film and also equivalent products from avery Dennison, hexis and orafol.
They all work very well. Not as durable as your standard delmar drum wrap but still a decent and cheap alternative. Especially if you are after solid colors.
Removeing it is no problem if you have a heat gun, peels right off without leaving any residue.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The only way to find out is to try it out. I have been wrapping my goalie sticks for a few years and take a LOT more abuse than my drums do. Car wrap is definitely different than drum wrap.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok. Yes I know I am a dummy, but what is car wrap?

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You ain’t no dummy. Lamont was the big dummy...

It’s self-adhesive vinyl used to wrap cars to change color or advertise.
I had no idea of this product, thanks! Im sure it will work on a drum, let us know how it goes if you do it.

Thank you,
Lamont