Carbon Fiber Drumsticks and Rods

actionjcl

Reaction score
So what do you all think of carbon fiber drumsticks and rods, and has anyone tried Kuppman Music’s? I use to like Carbosticks back in the day, but a friend of mine had a pair break behind the tips during a gig. Mine never did that, but then I don’t hit that hard and take extra care of my equipment.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the Kuppman rods and really like that they give good definition on cymbals.

A bit pricey if I recall correctly but ultimately worth it.

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I happen to come across the Kuppmen rods and sticks in a youtube video just a few days ago. I considered getting soem to try out, but the $40-50 seems like an awful lot.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear you on the price. Since I seemed to go through traditional rods quickly, in the long run for me the Kuppman's have proven a good investment. The sound is halfway between rods and a say, a light maple stick. I needed that spectrum covered.

Thumper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
To me, Carbon fiber sticks have a life-less feel. Bought three pair, tried them, parked them. I have two unused pair if anyone is looking for some...

actionjcl

Reaction score
I hear you on the price. Since I seemed to go through traditional rods quickly, in the long run for me the Kuppman's have proven a good investment. The sound is halfway between rods and a say, a light maple stick. I needed that spectrum covered.
I’ve never been a fan of the Promark Rods, always thought the sounded dull/lifeless and broke way too easily. Always wondered how the Kuppman rods compared though, as carbon sticks are always seem to have a brighter sound than traditional wood. I am however a fan of Promarks Broomsticks, especially the medium, as they have a nice organic light sound for when you need something more than brushes, but sticks are way too much. As far as sticks, I’ve been playing Vic Firth Extreme 5A Nylon, as I not only love the size, but the extra reach and the fact that the shape of their nylon tips mimic those of their wood tips, which helps to give a similar playing experience, just with a brighter tone.

Angelo Zollo

Reaction score
So what do you all think of carbon fiber drumsticks and rods, and has anyone tried Kuppman Music’s? I use to like Carbosticks back in the day, but a friend of mine had a pair break behind the tips during a gig. Mine never did that, but then I don’t hit that hard and take extra care of my equipment.
I broke the carbo sticks in a week and I don’t hit that hard

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Having had a vast carbon composite fabrication experience, I can’t see the application for drum sticks where carbon would be preferable. As a bike material, it is the ultimate in calming down low frequency vibration. But having ultimate strength with no ductility and extreme plasticity (meaning not all that flexible and eventually breaking) just does not appeal to me. Maybe if I were having some problems due to shock. You could kill cymbals with carbon fibre sticks. I need a bit of weight for my ghost notes, etc.

I am a big proponent for carbon replacing conventional materials; just not drum sticks.

m_anderson

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me, Carbon fiber sticks have a life-less feel.
Although I have never tried them, this would be my thought. After more than 50 years of using wood, I don't think they would feel right. I have never liked nylon tips either.

KevinD

Reaction score
In reference to the rods only. A cursory check of Reverb shows they go from between $44 -$70 per pair.
I was looking at a lot of industrial sites like McMaster Carr, as well craft sites that sell cf rods in about the same sizes.

If you wanted to buy enough build yourself a pair (not buying in bulk) you probably would not beat the lower to mid-range of those prices by too much once you found sufficient sleeves and other finishing things.

Years ago-late 70s when I went to a drum lesson one day, my teacher was just opening a box of new "artificial" drumsticks that someone had sent him. He was curious when he took them out.. They looked pretty waxy.. almost like crayons...
He started using them on the pad as we went through our warm ups... within 5 minutes that had started to disintegrate.

The materials they use today have come a long way.

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In reference to the rods only. A cursory check of Reverb shows they go from between $44 -$70 per pair.
I was looking at a lot of industrial sites like McMaster Carr, as well craft sites that sell cf rods in about the same sizes.

If you wanted to buy enough build yourself a pair (not buying in bulk) you probably would not beat the lower to mid-range of those prices by too much once you found sufficient sleeves and other finishing things.

Years ago-late 70s when I went to a drum lesson one day, my teacher was just opening a box of new "artificial" drumsticks that someone had sent him. He was curious when he took them out.. They looked pretty waxy.. almost like crayons...
He started using them on the pad as we went through our warm ups... within 5 minutes that had started to disintegrate.

The materials they use today have come a long way.
I would think fibreglass rods would actually be better, more flexible and the splinters are not nearly as dangerous. Carbon fibre splinters require medical attention to remove.

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me, Carbon fiber sticks have a life-less feel. Bought three pair, tried them, parked them. I have two unused pair if anyone is looking for some...
Yeah, lifeless is the perfect word for them. It’s almost like they deaden the natural stick rebound/vibration. Between that and them snapping they weren’t for me.