Carl Palmer and the 50 Worst Acts in Music History

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to write a post about Carl Palmer being interviewed about his latest money making schemes (long exposure pictures of him and his light-up drum sticks) in an interview with Rock Cellar magazine.

But, then my research revealed he’s in two bands immortalized in Blender magazine’s 50 Worst Artists in Music History.

Emerson Lake & Palmer and Asia are both in the top 5!

In retrospect, not that surprising. After all, noted Rock Critic Lester Bangs once referred to Tarkus (I think) as a “war crime” in a review ... I listened to a bit of it today, and Bangs (played by Phillip Seymour Hofmann in Almost Famous) certainly has a point. It’s a triple album with a 20-minute opener that weirdly makes you regret getting high to listen to it.

I appreciate some Noodly-Doodly, including some ELP, but that Tarkus is a weapons grade downer.

Surprising, Rock Cellar didn’t ask the P in ELP about any of this. Apparently, he’s restarting Emerson Lake and Pomposity as Carl Palmer’s ELP Legacy even though we’ve all suffered plenty already in this pandemic.

Did I mention my power is out?

Now, I’ll get to the point and reprise what’s probably the best thing Blender produced in it’s too short life (1994-2009, RIP).

The 50 Worst Artists in Music History:

01. Insane Clown Posse
02. Emerson, Lake & Palmer
03. Michael Bolton
04. Kenny G
05. Starship
06. Kansas
07. Asia
08. Vanilla Ice
09. Lee Greenwood
10. Air Supply
11. LaToya Jackson
12. Tin Machine
13. Mick Jagger (as a solo artist)
14. Yngwie Malmsteen
15. Yanni
16. Oingo Boingo
17. Benzino
18. Pat Boone
19. Dan Fogelberg
20. Howard Jones
21. Alan Parsons Project
22 Primus
23. Creed
24. Bad English
25. Jamiraqui
26.Celine Dion
27. Color Me Badd
28. Crash Test Dummies
29. Skinny Puppy
30. Richard Marx
31. Arrested Development
32. Hooters
33. Japan
34.Live
35. Paul Oakenfeld
36. 98 Degrees
37. Doors
38. Nelson
39. Bob Geldof
40. Blind Melon
41. Whitesnake
42. Rick Wakeman
43. Mike & the Mechanics
44. Manowar
45. Gipsy Kings
46.Spin Doctors
47. Goo Goo Dolls
48. Master P
49. Toad the Wet Sprocket
50. Iron Butterfly

Oh, here’s the CP interview in Rock Cellar: https://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/carl-palmer-interview-elp-legacy-tour-book-prog-rock/

Last edited:

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tarkus was a single album, released in 1971, and it's brilliant. Carl's drumming is one reason why. "Welcome Back, My Friends" was a triple live album, released in 1974.
I love ELP and love both albums.
I also love Lester Bangs' writing, but don't share his taste in music (or drugs).
I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:

Vicey

Reaction score
A lot of popular music journalism has defined itself partially on its rejection of prog. The best way to not get published in some venues is to confess a taste for anything close to prog. Lester Bangs established an essential definition of rock music early on, and people such as Dave Marsh and Jimmy Guterman followed it: generally, the biases tend toward American, working class (or the author's vision of what working class should look like), relatively structurally simple, and dominated by a single auteur (so solo artists over bands). Obviously, prog in the 70s didn't fit this paradigm.

Listen to what you like. I like Carl's playing. I like a lot of ELP. I can understand why some people don't. But I much prefer having an eclectic taste in music to closing off entire genres or sub-genres because I'm not supposed to like Yes if I like Sonic Youth.

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I distinctly remember when WHITESNAKE came out with STILL OF THE NIGHT in 1987... they were considered blatant Robert Plant/Zep ripoffs.

At the time all of us hipsters (those of us who liked ELP, Asia, Oingo Boingo and Kansas) thought Coverdale and his short term wife Tawny K were the poster kids for dopey big hair/groupie silliness. Ah, the good old days before Greta Van Fludge.

I like Creed tho...

Last edited:

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah lists... too much subjectiveness and personal preference involved.

Echoing the sentiments of some here, there are a lot of good acts on that list and some mentioned some acts like Yoko who could be on these kinds of lists but some of those mentioned weren't really in the spotlight if that makes any sense.

For the record, I once shared a stage with ICP.

... just not on the same night. :p

langmick

Reaction score
This list must be pre-hip hop rap, because there is some truly terrible product in those genres. I mean, this Post Malone dude...wtf.

But, maybe not, since they are popular and not to be criticized.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was going to write a post about Carl Palmer being interviewed about his latest money making schemes (long exposure pictures of him and his light-up drum sticks) in an interview with Rock Cellar magazine.

But, then my research revealed he’s in two bands immortalized in Blender magazine’s 50 Worst Artists in Music History.

Emerson Lake & Palmer and Asia are both in the top 5!

In retrospect, not that surprising. After all, noted Rock Critic Lester Bangs once referred to Tarkus (I think) as a “war crime” in a review ... I listened to a bit of it today, and Bangs (played by Phillip Seymour Hofmann in Almost Famous) certainly has a point. It’s a triple album with a 20-minute opener that weirdly makes you regret getting high to listen to it.

I appreciate some Noodly-Doodly, including some ELP, but that Tarkus is a weapons grade downer.

Surprising, Rock Cellar didn’t ask the P in ELP about any of this. Apparently, he’s restarting Emerson Lake and Pomposity as Carl Palmer’s ELP Legacy even though we’ve all suffered plenty already in this pandemic.

Did I mention my power is out?

Now, I’ll get to the point and reprise what’s probably the best thing Blender produced in it’s too short life (1994-2009, RIP).

The 50 Worst Artists in Music History:

01. Insane Clown Posse
02. Emerson, Lake & Palmer
03. Michael Bolton
04. Kenny G
05. Starship
06. Kansas
07. Asia
08. Vanilla Ice
09. Lee Greenwood
10. Air Supply
11. LaToya Jackson
12. Tin Machine
13. Mick Jagger (as a solo artist)
14. Yngwie Malmsteen
15. Yanni
16. Oingo Boingo
17. Benzino
18. Pat Boone
19. Dan Fogelberg
20. Howard Jones
21. Alan Parsons Project
22 Primus
23. Creed
24. Bad English
25. Jamiraqui
26.Celine Dion
27. Color Me Badd
28. Crash Test Dummies
29. Skinny Puppy
30. Richard Marx
31. Arrested Development
32. Hooters
33. Japan
34.Live
35. Paul Oakenfeld
36. 98 Degrees
37. Doors
38. Nelson
39. Bob Geldof
40. Blind Melon
41. Whitesnake
42. Rick Wakeman
43. Mike & the Mechanics
44. Manowar
45. Gipsy Kings
46.Spin Doctors
47. Goo Goo Dolls
48. Master P
49. Toad the Wet Sprocket
50. Iron Butterfly

Oh, here’s the CP interview in Rock Cellar: https://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/carl-palmer-interview-elp-legacy-tour-book-prog-rock/
Who are the 50 worst music critics of all time?

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw Palmer's ELP Legacy show a couple of years ago and it was excellent, so I dunno. I guess it's a matter of opinion. I agree about Asia.

ludwigmod72

Reaction score
Lists. Ugh.

Like it or not, guys like Bolton and Kenny G have made a LOT more money than any of us or these people who arbitrarily make these lists.

Oh well.
Your 100% spot on with your response. Really a dumb post. All subjective and personal preference. The mere fact that this guy sat around and concocted this list shows he’s got too much time on his hands. He should invest that time practicing his rudiments instead. My hats off to anyone on his list, they made it and earned their money.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
I must have really good taste because I don't really like any of those 50 acts! Some of the very early music of Kansas I can give a pass to, though I can't say that I'm really a fan.

Funny that both ELP and Asia were mentioned as both are fronted by bass player/singers who have been in King Crimson, who are favorites of mine and my guess is that they're much more likely to wind on a critics best of lists than lists like this.

Last edited: