Carl Palmer and the 50 Worst Acts in Music History

gabewellls

Reaction score
Blender shouldn’t exist anymore for making one of the 50 worst lists in history...I’d call that a hate crime.

kerryprance

Reaction score
I was going to write a post about Carl Palmer being interviewed about his latest money making schemes (long exposure pictures of him and his light-up drum sticks) in an interview with Rock Cellar magazine.

But, then my research revealed he’s in two bands immortalized in Blender magazine’s 50 Worst Artists in Music History.

Emerson Lake & Palmer and Asia are both in the top 5!

In retrospect, not that surprising. After all, noted Rock Critic Lester Bangs once referred to Tarkus (I think) as a “war crime” in a review ... I listened to a bit of it today, and Bangs (played by Phillip Seymour Hofmann in Almost Famous) certainly has a point. It’s a triple album with a 20-minute opener that weirdly makes you regret getting high to listen to it.

I appreciate some Noodly-Doodly, including some ELP, but that Tarkus is a weapons grade downer.

Surprising, Rock Cellar didn’t ask the P in ELP about any of this. Apparently, he’s restarting Emerson Lake and Pomposity as Carl Palmer’s ELP Legacy even though we’ve all suffered plenty already in this pandemic.

Did I mention my power is out?

Now, I’ll get to the point and reprise what’s probably the best thing Blender produced in it’s too short life (1994-2009, RIP).

The 50 Worst Artists in Music History:

01. Insane Clown Posse
02. Emerson, Lake & Palmer
03. Michael Bolton
04. Kenny G
05. Starship
06. Kansas
07. Asia
08. Vanilla Ice
09. Lee Greenwood
10. Air Supply
11. LaToya Jackson
12. Tin Machine
13. Mick Jagger (as a solo artist)
14. Yngwie Malmsteen
15. Yanni
16. Oingo Boingo
17. Benzino
18. Pat Boone
19. Dan Fogelberg
20. Howard Jones
21. Alan Parsons Project
22 Primus
23. Creed
24. Bad English
25. Jamiraqui
26.Celine Dion
27. Color Me Badd
28. Crash Test Dummies
29. Skinny Puppy
30. Richard Marx
31. Arrested Development
32. Hooters
33. Japan
34.Live
35. Paul Oakenfeld
36. 98 Degrees
37. Doors
38. Nelson
39. Bob Geldof
40. Blind Melon
41. Whitesnake
42. Rick Wakeman
43. Mike & the Mechanics
44. Manowar
45. Gipsy Kings
46.Spin Doctors
47. Goo Goo Dolls
48. Master P
49. Toad the Wet Sprocket
50. Iron Butterfly

Oh, here’s the CP interview in Rock Cellar: https://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/carl-palmer-interview-elp-legacy-tour-book-prog-rock/

Cornell Wynnobel

Reaction score
I have to challenge #50 on that list. I have seen Iron Butterfly twice and was impressed both times. In 1970, they opened for Led Zeppelin in Winnipeg and got a standing ovation. Led Zeppelin did not. Of course I loved both of those bands!

EricWN

Reaction score
I’m generally speaking not a fan of lists, particularly on the web.
Discussing music we love is much easier in the long run than talking about things we don’t like. For one, we don’t spend a lot of time on things we dislike and on the other hand, folks tend to disagree when discussing art anyway since we perceive it emotionally.

robertgarven

Reaction score
I was going to write a post about Carl Palmer being interviewed about his latest money making schemes (long exposure pictures of him and his light-up drum sticks) in an interview with Rock Cellar magazine.

But, then my research revealed he’s in two bands immortalized in Blender magazine’s 50 Worst Artists in Music History.

In retrospect, not that surprising. After all, noted Rock Critic Lester Bangs once referred to Tarkus (I think) as a “war crime” in a review ... I listened to a bit of it today, and Bangs (played by Phillip Seymour Hofmann in Almost Famous) certainly has a point. It’s a triple album with a 20-minute opener that weirdly makes you regret getting high to listen to it.

I appreciate some Noodly-Doodly, including some ELP, but that Tarkus is a weapons grade downer.

Surprising, Rock Cellar didn’t ask the P in ELP about any of this. Apparently, he’s restarting Emerson Lake and Pomposity as Carl Palmer’s ELP Legacy even though we’ve all suffered plenty already in this pandemic.

Now, I’ll get to the point and reprise what’s probably the best thing Blender produced in it’s too short life (1994-2009, RIP).

01. Insane Clown Posse
03. Michael Bolton
04. Kenny G
05. Starship
06. Kansas
07. Asia
08. Vanilla Ice
09. Lee Greenwood
10. Air Supply
11. LaToya Jackson
12. Tin Machine
14. Yngwie Malmsteen
15. Yanni
16. Oingo Boingo
17. Benzino
18. Pat Boone
19. Dan Fogelberg
20. Howard Jones
21. Alan Parsons Project
22 Primus
23. Creed
24. Bad English
25. Jamiraqui
26.Celine Dion
27. Color Me Badd
28. Crash Test Dummies
29. Skinny Puppy
30. Richard Marx
31. Arrested Development
32. Hooters
33. Japan
34.Live
35. Paul Oakenfeld
36. 98 Degrees
37. Doors
38. Nelson
39. Bob Geldof
40. Blind Melon
41. Whitesnake
42. Rick Wakeman
43. Mike & the Mechanics
44. Manowar
45. Gipsy Kings
46.Spin Doctors
47. Goo Goo Dolls
48. Master P
50. Iron Butterfly

Oh, here’s the CP interview in Rock Cellar: https://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/carl-palmer-interview-elp-legacy-tour-book-prog-rock/
well at least my band is not on there for once. Unfortunately there are a few of my favorite bands of all time on there...

I also was fortunate enough to see ELP play at California jam and at a four channel concert at the Long Beach Arena during the brain salad surgery tour. They were amazing and I’m a pretty critical listener...

cruddola

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

01. Insane Clown Posse
03. Michael Bolton
04. Kenny G
05. Starship
06. Kansas
07. Asia
08. Vanilla Ice
09. Lee Greenwood
10. Air Supply
11. LaToya Jackson
12. Tin Machine
14. Yngwie Malmsteen
15. Yanni
16. Oingo Boingo
17. Benzino
18. Pat Boone
19. Dan Fogelberg
20. Howard Jones
21. Alan Parsons Project
22 Primus
23. Creed
24. Bad English
25. Jamiraqui
26.Celine Dion
27. Color Me Badd
28. Crash Test Dummies
29. Skinny Puppy
30. Richard Marx
31. Arrested Development
32. Hooters
33. Japan
34.Live
35. Paul Oakenfeld
36. 98 Degrees
37. Doors
38. Nelson
39. Bob Geldof
40. Blind Melon
41. Whitesnake
42. Rick Wakeman
43. Mike & the Mechanics
44. Manowar
45. Gipsy Kings
46.Spin Doctors
47. Goo Goo Dolls
48. Master P
50. Iron Butterfly

Bottom line, just ask which artist on this list consistently filled arenas pre-Covid. Yanni, the King of 7/8 time. Give a listen to his drummer, Charlie Adams' solos. Gotta give it to Critics, failures at the game themselves as musicians.

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score
here's the 2nd worst rock band of all time...
and speaking of said 2nd worst band,I put this album on my turntable a year ago.I had to take it off because of all the surface noise thanks to my wearing it out.
it's the only album in my many 100's where that's the case btw.

Slingwig26

Reaction score

01. Insane Clown Posse
03. Michael Bolton
04. Kenny G
05. Starship
06. Kansas
07. Asia
08. Vanilla Ice
09. Lee Greenwood
10. Air Supply
11. LaToya Jackson
12. Tin Machine
14. Yngwie Malmsteen
15. Yanni
16. Oingo Boingo
17. Benzino
18. Pat Boone
19. Dan Fogelberg
20. Howard Jones
21. Alan Parsons Project
22 Primus
23. Creed
24. Bad English
25. Jamiraqui
26.Celine Dion
27. Color Me Badd
28. Crash Test Dummies
29. Skinny Puppy
30. Richard Marx
31. Arrested Development
32. Hooters
33. Japan
34.Live
35. Paul Oakenfeld
36. 98 Degrees
37. Doors
38. Nelson
39. Bob Geldof
40. Blind Melon
41. Whitesnake
42. Rick Wakeman
43. Mike & the Mechanics
44. Manowar
45. Gipsy Kings
46.Spin Doctors
47. Goo Goo Dolls
48. Master P
50. Iron Butterfly

I agree with some, disagree with others and am indifferent towards the rest.

Slingwig26

Reaction score
I feel that anyone who put their art out in the public sphere opens themselves up to critical analysis of the work. The fact that someone who's made a lot of money doing what they do doesn't in any way influence me to like it.... or even to respect what they do. I have more respect for folks who strike me as following their creative muse rather than in producing a product that that's designed to do well in the market place...
Not me.

sternerp

Reaction score

01. Insane Clown Posse
03. Michael Bolton
04. Kenny G
05. Starship
06. Kansas
07. Asia
08. Vanilla Ice
09. Lee Greenwood
10. Air Supply
11. LaToya Jackson
12. Tin Machine
14. Yngwie Malmsteen
15. Yanni
16. Oingo Boingo
17. Benzino
18. Pat Boone
19. Dan Fogelberg
20. Howard Jones
21. Alan Parsons Project
22 Primus
23. Creed
24. Bad English
25. Jamiraqui
26.Celine Dion
27. Color Me Badd
28. Crash Test Dummies
29. Skinny Puppy
30. Richard Marx
31. Arrested Development
32. Hooters
33. Japan
34.Live
35. Paul Oakenfeld
36. 98 Degrees
37. Doors
38. Nelson
39. Bob Geldof
40. Blind Melon
41. Whitesnake
42. Rick Wakeman
43. Mike & the Mechanics
44. Manowar
45. Gipsy Kings
46.Spin Doctors
47. Goo Goo Dolls
48. Master P
50. Iron Butterfly

I saw Carl Palmer and The ELP Experience about a year ago, and I enjoyed how he reinvented ELP as an instrumental group. Of course, I also liked ELP until side 2 of TARKUS.

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Another stupid ass list used to stir conflict full well knowing that art is completely subjective.

Having said that....if you can't use commercial success as a yardstick when discussing the success of any artist that sells his product to the public....what measure can be used?

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I feel that anyone who put their art out in the public sphere opens themselves up to critical analysis of the work. The fact that someone who's made a lot of money doing what they do doesn't in any way influence me to like it.... or even to respect what they do. I have more respect for folks who strike me as following their creative muse rather than in producing a product that that's designed to do well in the market place...
Some of the awful acts, even the Billy Ray Cyrus’s and Vanilla Ice’s of the world believe what they do is good.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And they provided joy and an escape to the world at that time. Even though both acts you mention have equivalent talent to the Cheeky Girls, they had their couple of hits and still provide a little bit of excitement at night clubs when they get play. Yes, I am a fan of the Cheeky Girls. Look them up!

They had that recipe: a hook, easy to sing along with and the performers were aesthetically pleasing.
Let’s be clear here. I’m not in support of what they do by any means. Call a spade a spade.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Out of the 50 artists listed I only own releases by The Doors, Alan Parsons and The Spin Doctors. So that’s one from the 60’s one from the 70’s and one form the 90’s. So I must have had impeccable taste for 80’s and the 00’s.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
Some of the awful acts, even the Billy Ray Cyrus’s and Vanilla Ice’s of the world believe what they do is good.
I don't doubt it... I also believe that some people don't really make a distinction between artistic quality and salability in their work. They aren't necessarily creating their work to satisfy any kind of creative type muse and are instead trying to figure out what people want. What's "good" to these people is what they can sell the most of; they let their audience determine what's good by how much of the product they buy. The kind of artists that I appreciate most are the ones who I feel are creating the work first and foremost for themselves and not for an audience...

kallen49

Reaction score
The first ELP album “opened the door for me“ as to what a drummer in a rock band could do. I bought Tarkus when it was released (I was 13). I’m enjoying the Rachel Flowers performance of it as I write this.
Agree the list is a yawn...but it did create pages of posts about music.

I’ve heard Phil Collins say he didn’t care for Carl Palmer’s playing, (he preferred Billy Cobham),
but if you want to make lists does CP not make the top ten list of drummers of the past 50 years?