Carlton drums - Any one here familiar?

jsp210

Reaction score
I was just introduced to this name from a drummer across the pond who raved about them and wanted to see what information I could glean here. Very little information on the net but am intrigued. Thanks in advance.

carlton08.jpg

underratedcowbell

Reaction score
Yes that is the only thing of substance that seems to come up. Looking for first hand experience ideally. Thanks.

jsp210

Reaction score
Thanks I saw that one after searching on the name but have yet to find comments about the sound and other usage details from people who have played them.

jsp210

Reaction score
Such a cool wrap! Hope it sounds as good as it looks!
The Premier 2000 snare will not disappoint you!
I already have that snare and love it. I’ll be on the lookout for the 60s Carlton snare and have my UK source on the case but apparently all very rare.

The Carlton is birch with die cast hoops 20/12/16 and I was sent a short clip and it did sound great. Very excited.

jsp210

Reaction score
So these drums arrived last week and I took them out to a couple of gigs, one outdoors and one indoors. Very pleased with these drums. My bandmates approved.

Just recorded a brief demo with my Zoom recorder using the same heads and tuning I ran with for the two gigs (70s R&B primarily so went with coated Emperors with a bit of gaffers tape to dampen) -
https://soundcloud.com/jonathan-priest-3%2Fcarlton-kit-demo
The 12 inch depth of the bass drum came in really handy on the small indoor stage and had plenty of thump out front
tempImageluDoQQ.png

tempImage6ZKgep.png

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Carlton Drums: Honey Lantree was the first female drummer to play on a #1 record: "Have I the Right" by The Honeycombs, Produced by Joe Meek. Honey played Carlton Drums. I'm digging that 1960s 'TV Antenna" Tom Tom Mount!

1630161386239.jpeg

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Honeycombs and Carlton Drums in Action, along with 'Ernie Douglas" from "My Three Sons" on Rhythm guitar!! Enjoy...Great Song!!

davidh

Reaction score
Carlton were popular the 1950s and 60s in Pipe Bands - even here in the uK hardly ever seen a drum kit
Strange size heads too I thought

Patrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Bobby Graham played Carlton drums. I've often wondered whether we heard his Carltons on early Kinks and DC5 records. I used to envy the pipe band with Carlton snares when my pipe band landed a deal for Ludwigs. I have one old black oyster Carlton that has the same dark interior finish. Excellent chrome as well.

JohnnyP

Reaction score
Greetings everyone from Melbourne, Australia.

I'm a newbie to this forum and have something that may be of interest. The attached photos are of my Carlton-Dallas 1965 Big Beat drum kit. I purchased the drums from a local vintage drum store in 2017. I spent months researching the history of the kit and all the information and evidence I uncovered has led me to STRONGLY believe that this was Anne Honey Lantree's Australian tour kit in 1965.

Anne toured Australia in 1965 with The Honeycombs as part of the Big Show Tour with fellow Brits Manfred Mann and The Kinks. They played two shows in Melbourne on January 22 and 23 of 1965. Honey was the only British drummer to tour Australia that year who played Carlton drums and Carlton drums were not available at that time hence why Anne used a different kit for each venue so they could be left behind to promote the brand.

I contacted The Honeycombs founding member Martin Murray who believes that the kit was played by Anne. I also contacted Anne through her son Matt Coxall via The Honeycombs unofficial fan club president Paul Noy. I sent the photos of the kit to Anne but unfortunately, due to her failing memory, she was unable to confirm that this was her kit because she played so many Carlton kits throughout her career. As we all know, Anne sadly passed away in 2018.

At the conclusion of the tour, the kit was left behind and was on display in Allan's music store in Melbourne as a promotion for Carlton drums. A local drummer purchased the kit from Allan's and it remained in his possession for the next six decades. The owner was a collector of drums and amassed quite a large collection but was forced to sell most of his gear due to age and a nagging wife.

My Carlton kit was advertised on ebay Australia where it was picked up by the local vintage drum store who advertised it on their website. It was just sheer chance that one day I jumped on the website and saw the kit for sale. To me it was just a nice collectible kit so I went down to have a look and within half an hour, I was the new owner. I had no idea that the kit would have such a history to it.

As you can see, the kit is in pristine, unmolested condition. Everything is perfect. The original hardware went missing somewhere along the years but I have 1960's Premier as a substitute.

To date, I haven't yet played the kit at all. It's been in storage for the last 4 years. Maybe one day' I'll put some new heads and record a video for Youtube. One day!

I also have a 1965 Carlton-Dallas snare drum which is in the same condition and even has the original calf skin heads. I'll post some photos in due course.

Best wishes

JP

Attachments

Last edited: